• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Back in the day" stories

brownshoe

Contributor
In VT-2, flying T-28's at Whiting, on days with questionable weather and sitting around waiting for a break, one instructor, a former A-1 pilot, would set up a projector and show his home movies he made with his hand-held 8mm "Super-8" camera of the first US airstrike on Haiphong. No matter how many times he showed it, everyone was totally enthralled.

First strike into that heavily-defended hell, he's in his Spad taking movies. The guy was God to us.

The C.O. would pace around behind us and mumble "And I trust that crazy son of a bitch with my planes?!?"

You need to make friends with Rondebmar. Now he's got a few stories!:) I have them, but they were privately emailed to me so I can't share without Ron's approval.

Steve

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
First strike into that heavily-defended hell, he's in his Spad taking movies. The guy was God to us.

That would've been the strike in which LTJG Ev Alvarez (VA-144) & a LTJG A-1 pilot from VA-145 were lost. Alvarez was captured and became the longest incarcerated POW in No. Vietnam.:eek:
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
In VT-2, flying T-28's at Whiting, on days with questionable weather and sitting around waiting for a break, one instructor, a former A-1 pilot, would set up a projector and show his home movies he made with his hand-held 8mm "Super-8" camera of the first US airstrike on Haiphong. No matter how many times he showed it, everyone was totally enthralled.

The C.O. would pace around behind us and mumble "And I trust that crazy son of a bitch with my planes?!?"

Oh yeah! You might want to catch up with Busybee for some 60's A-4 Rock-N-Roll.

Steve

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor

roflmao.gif
roflmao.gif

blackbart22

pilot
Back when the VT's were BTG's on foulweather days we watched Victory at Sea episodes. One day I was seated next to Ensign Kakuta of the JNSDF. No matter how many Zero's got flamed, or what the narrator's comments were, his expression never changed.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Back when the VT's were BTG's on foulweather days we watched Victory at Sea episodes. One day I was seated next to Ensign Kakuta of the JNSDF. No matter how many Zero's got flamed, or what the narrator's comments were, his expression never changed.

Up here at the War College one of the case studies is the Falkland Island battles.
We have a Brit Officer on staff who gives the Brit perspective. We had an Argentine student who gives thier perspective.
It must be kind of awkward to get up in front of a bunch of fellow professional military officers and discuss why your side failed.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Up here at the War College one of the case studies is the Falkland Island battles.
We have a Brit Officer on staff who gives the Brit perspective. We had an Argentine student who gives thier perspective.
It must be kind of awkward to get up in front of a bunch of fellow professional military officers and discuss why your side failed.

True, albeit no more so than a U.S. military history failure case study in an international class.

(PS- JMO is "fun.")