• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Baby SNA wannabe flies his first plane

My first flight was actually in IFS. Wasn't very breathtaking, but it let me know that I was getting into the right line of work.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Congrats on the first flight! I felt exactly the same way when I took my first flight (also at 12) in a Piper Tomahawk at KHND.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
My first flight was in the Mighty Mentor on C-4001. Filled 2 bags and felt like crap the rest of the day. I seriously questioned whether I was in the right line of work. Fortunately that feeling went away after a few flights and BI's fixed my inability to hold heading, altitude, airspeed, or any combination of the three. I am so glad I didn't throw in the towel, I just told myself to hang in there.
I probably didn't really enjoy flying until PAs. Now I can't imagine any other line of work that I will enjoy as much.

phrogpilot73

I saw that damn dam 6 to 8 times a day, 4 or 5 days a week from 1999 to 2001 and then again for 2004-2005 when I flew Grand Canyon tours for Scenic. To me, that dam is just another slab of concrete and the Grand Canyon is just another ditch....
Yeah, but I bet you didn't see the Grand Canyon like this:

091216-M-8334L-001.jpg

111214-M-SP892-070.jpg

That's our sister squadron, HMM-764 delivering toys, Christmas trees, crates of food, firewood, and Santa Claus as part of the Toys for Tots program. They do it every year, since the Havasupai tribe's area is accessible only on foot, by donkey or by helicopter.

Here's the back story: http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pa...latedGrandCanyonvillageusinghisnewsleigh.aspx

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah, but I bet you didn't see the Grand Canyon like this:

091216-M-8334L-001.jpg

111214-M-SP892-070.jpg

That's our sister squadron, HMM-764 delivering toys, Christmas trees, crates of food, firewood, and Santa Claus as part of the Toys for Tots program. They do it every year, since the Havasupai tribe's area is accessible only on foot, by donkey or by helicopter.

Here's the back story: http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pa...latedGrandCanyonvillageusinghisnewsleigh.aspx
Before the Grand Canyon SFAR, we used to fly P-3s below the rim all the time. I've done it 6 or 7 times, dodging fighter out of Nellis that were also having fun. My last below the rim P-3 adventure, we did a "zero g pop up" climbing back above the rim and when the pilot leveled off and gravity returned, our IFT managed to break his ankle when he hit the floor. Needles to say, we didn't get to do parabolic climbs anymore.....

I've also done many a helo flight in the ditch during my time at Scenic. When we had ground waits and were bored, we jump in the cockpit with our help friends who had empty seats.

(BTW - why does my iPad's autocorrect always want to change helo flight to hell flight? Is it trying to tell me something?)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
My daughter (13) has told me that she is interested in flying. When we were in VA Beach last year for NTU's air show we were sitting on the hotel balcony watching Hornets fly out over the ocean - she looked at me and said "Dad - I want to fly Hornets..." Made me very proud of course. She is going to go up in a T-6 with a buddy of mine. We'll see how she handles it!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB - I wish! How's this one:

Nice looking SNJ..er AT-6. I'm used to seeing them painted yaller, though.

When I was in Preflight in fall '56, our whole class went out on the USS SAIPAN (CV-48), to observe the last NAVCADs to fly primary, basic and carqual in the Texan. About one year later, we went out to ANTIETAM to carqual in T-28s. I recall being pleased to not have to qual in the Texan. In the quals we had observed earlier, the SNAs landed & launched no problem... but taxiing around the windy, gusty flight deck, gave them beaucoup problems!:oops:
-SNJ-6_landing.jpg
BzB

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Two very nice airplanes there - the T-6 and the T-28. I would guess that the '28 would be easier to handle on deck!