• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-52 mistakenly loaded/flies with Nukes...idiots

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
Talking to a couple of BUFF Navs at work today, they told me it is part of the Radar Nav's checklist responsibility to visually confirm what they're carrying. Their thoughts were maybe the person really didn't know what they were supposed to be looking for, and of course they both said if they had been the Nav onboard, this wouldn't have happened. A definite break down at many levels in the chain of events.

haubby

None
Contributor
what ever happened to having a security detail assigned for the saftey and movement of special weapons?

MasterBates

Bullet, if you want to talk smack, you better put some real info up about yourself.

Because I am siding with HAL on this, vice some jackass who claims to be a 29 year old IT guy.

HAL has worked with this stuff. Have you? Or did you read a Clancy book about it?

Bullet

Talking to a couple of BUFF Navs at work today, they told me it is part of the Radar Nav's checklist responsibility to visually confirm what they're carrying. Their thoughts were maybe the person really didn't know what they were supposed to be looking for, and of course they both said if they had been the Nav onboard, this wouldn't have happened. A definite break down at many levels in the chain of events.

Im out of the thread.

Bullet

Bullet, if you want to talk smack, you better put some real info up about yourself.

Because I am siding with HAL on this, vice some jackass who claims to be a 29 year old IT guy.

HAL has worked with this stuff. Have you? Or did you read a Clancy book about it?
Sorry wont do it.. But I will met Hal at the Taco Johns and Captain D's seafood at nellis and chat if he wants.

Oh have have WAY WAY more experience working with BOTH topics than he ever will. Im out of this one. PM me if you want to know whats what.

you should have gotten a good idea from my posts preivous but thats fine. There is too much of a firestorm going on right. So PM Me Im out of the public arena

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
WS134jackass.jpg

Right or not...this seems to apply.

haubby

None
Contributor
This can't be solved without getting into the semantics of how these things are handled and this isnt the place to get into that type of converstion. That said I have to agree with Hal also. My personal experience on my prior platforms is that there will be two man control at ALL times once a security area is in place. I can only imagine that a plane loaded with special weapons would be considered a security area. Hence the need for two man control AND a security force.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Oh have have WAY WAY more experience working with BOTH topics than he ever will. Im out of this one. PM me if you want to know whats what.
Some how I doubt that. 7 years on a delivery crew and 3 years as a Nuclear Weapons Officer that owned a magazine full of the suckers. Since you profile says you are 29 and claim to be an IT tech out of NH, I doubt you can top 10 years working with the things. Much less controlling an inventory of them to include assembling and disassembling them for maintenance. I even had a MARDET working for me that would gladly physically restrain or shoot anyone who broke the 2 man rule.

BTW, MQ-1 you asked if I had any experience with in the deleted post is definitely NOT nuclear capable and any experience you have with Predators is irrelevant to this discussion.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop

you should have gotten a good idea from my posts preivous but thats fine. There is too much of a firestorm going on right. So PM Me Im out of the public arena

This is why I'm hot, this is why I'm hot,
I'm hot cuz I'm fly, you ain't cuz you not!

375x375

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, with as much security and procedures that are in place compared to conventional ordnance, I am flabbergasted that the simple conventional practice of painting appropriate markings on the components wasn't used and if it was, why wasn't it noticed on preflight. Our rocket motors and warheads all have markings to indicate live or inert. In this case, if ththe wahead section could be either way depending on how it was configured so that markings would not work, there are other options so loading crews and aircrews know what they have loaded. Regardless, no aircrew should conclude their preflight without knowing what's hanging on their aircraft and inspecting it to make sure loading was completed properly. That applies to conventional and other things hanging on or inside your aircraft. Even if someone else messes up, you'll be standing tall when someone falls off the aircraft unintentionally. Regardless, care and handling of these type weapons has always been under a zero defect mentality so there was a significant breakdown in their proven process and procedures for this to happen. It's no surprise as to actions that have been taken immediately and my guess is they won't stop there as accountability for the lapse is determined.

The BUFF guys I talked to said that the missiles were supposed to be on board, they were 'live' and the crew knew it (transporting them for decomm) but not supposed to have the nuke warheads. Depending on the version, apparently they can't tell if there is a nuke in there or not.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I am flabbergasted that the simple conventional practice of painting appropriate markings on the components wasn't used
To add to Flash's post:

In the Navy nuke world (at least); nuke bombs, shapes and training devices are not painted in the same manner as conventional weapons. The newer ones are polished stainless steel - hence the nickname "silver bullet". Shapes, training devices and inert bombs are treated / handled just like live bombs and even a scratch results in an Oprep 3.

I don't know what these Air Forces weapons looked like, but without a serial number check, I could easily see a crew not knowing it was the wrong bomb on their wing. No "blue" bombs here. If the crew did check the serial number, they might not have had any visual / external way of telling if the nuclear package had been removed or not.

We (Navy) always had a preflight nuke checklist that the crew had to complete and have verified before launch (ferry or mission). If the Air Force crew had one of these and completed it properly then they probably had no way of knowing.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry wont do it.. But I will met Hal at the Taco Johns and Captain D's seafood at nellis and chat if he wants.

Translation, I'm a newb who doesn't know shit but would like people to believe that I do. Nice try turbo.......next time, try with the little dogs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Watch out... Steve/LEL might disagree and tell you that this is a magazine.....
Very clever , very clever ... especially for a Marine 'cum Coastie, check fire, check fire ..... pull off the "Shirley" (Coastie:)) mask and he's still a Marine :D:D!!!!!!

They're still trying to bust an old man's chops aren't they???? ... how do they think old men get to be old ???

.... *sigh* .... when will they ever learn ??????

These are magazines, too ... but they ain't "clips" ....

magazines.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He might have some knowledges in this area and is reluctant to be publicly talking about something his community has been told to be quiet about. "Bullet" may well be "j10b" who posted this on a Bass forum:

j10b said:
Posted by: j10b at 1:27 PM 2/16/2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USAF 03-pres 0-2 ( for 3 months) Bomber Nav OEF. 20k Plus of HE hand delivered within 3 feet of TGT.

and this on a Bimmer forum

j10b said:
...my buddy and I are going to be the only Mission Qualified B-52 guys there..