• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Azerbaijan vs Armenia

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe we are saying different things, and we can meet in the middle....What they lack in military dominance they make up for in initiative, resource efficiency, and a willingness to bend the rules/LOAC to achieve their desired end states...

Putin plays his relatively weak hand well but I am doubtful that this latest conflict is a 'win' for him and Russia. Nagorno-Karabakh became Azerbaijan's 'Alsace-Lorraine', a territorial loss that came to dominate Azeri politics, geopolitics and military planning for the last quarter century much like the loss Alsace-Lorraine came to dominate French politics, geopolitics and military planning for over 40 years after its humiliating loss in 1871, and then some. Now I imagine the same thing will happen in Armenia, turbocharged by the widespread and wealthy Armenian diaspora who have proven more than willing to fund their ancestral land even before this latest military fiasco. I wouldn't be surprised if Armenia starts to look further beyond their patron and 'ally' Russia for arms and support now, since Azerbaijan did the same and it certainly worked out pretty well for them.

What does all that mean for Russia? While they will remain a dominant player in the region the fact that serious fighting broke out in the first place is a failure of their policy of trying to keep frozen conflicts in place without disturbing the status quo, unless it happens to be in their favor. The fact that some of their vaunted weapon systems were neutered with apparent ease by a regional rival's weapon systems on the cheap just adds to negative column for Russia. Topping it off Russia help foist a humiliating peace on Armenia and is enforcing it, though reflective of the reality on the ground it will do little to assuage Armenian anger much like the French after 1871. Those sorts of things can cause resentment, especially in the longer term.

So yes, Russia will try and take advantage of this latest situation as much as they can but I don't count this as a real 'win' for them.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Let’s not forget that Russia partly benefits simply from chaos in the region, which delays or prevents a meaningful hydrocarbon pipeline from the Caspian Sea region to Europe via Turkey, potentially rivaling Russia. Right now, Europe’s pretty much beholden to Russia for hydrocarbons/ fossil fuels.