• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Awesome A-10 News and Anchor

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's Link-16? J-Voice? That's that singing show on NBC, right? Maybe it's the language barrier.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Ah, no. Just next USAF-related question: on one occasion over there, a pair of A-10As was initially provided with tanker which had no boom system. Whether it means that it was non-USAF tanker or USAF has some tankers with only probe-and-drogue capability?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Yes, sometimes on the KC-135 when mission dictates they replace the bottom portion of the boom with a basket.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAaNAAAAJDYyYjBmZTFlLWJhYTItNDU3MC1hNGM2LTVmY2MyZDU3NmNkNw.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Max, you should probably go Google "USAF aerial refueling" and then "USN aerial refueling" and compare the pictures. Ignore any pictures of an E-6, as that will just confuse the matter.

Max the Mad Russian

Ignore any pictures of an E-6, as that will just confuse the matter.

P-8A too, but it doesn't matter. Well, I know the difference, but it seems that arranging proper tanker to fuel the definite tactical jets seems to be no small job for planners, especially if USAF KCs with added baskets cannot refuel the boom aircraft in the mission.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
P-8A too, but it doesn't matter. Well, I know the difference, but it seems that arranging proper tanker to fuel the definite tactical jets seems to be no small job for planners, especially if USAF KCs with added baskets cannot refuel the boom aircraft in the mission.

KC-10s carry both simultaneously and KC-135s can if configured with wing pods (they can also fuel 2 drogue aircraft at the same time that way). Still, allocating tankers is a major job.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

As @armada1651 said, most 135s are now configured with the wing pods with baskets and KC-10s always had the capability to do both.

Either way, yes -- planning. It is how you fight a war.

Max the Mad Russian

Thank you gentlemen

As wide as the hystorical cultural gap - when Italian people had boasted by the pearlbuttons on the jackets at XV century, the Russian people, even most rich, were not knowing what the button is - the recent difference in aerial refueling practice between Western air assets and Soviet block was sometimes shocking. The scaring - for some unexplainable reason - MiG-29 initially had no aerial refueling capability and very small amount of internal fuel, so that its definition was creepping from "air defence fighter" to jockingly "its airbase defence fighter", while the only carrier-borne aircraft of Soviet Navy, a light VSTOL attacker Yak-38 had only 60 nm of battle radius with full fuel and two 23-mm gun pods even by using of short takeoff instead of vertical - and no air refueling, of course. For long time the complicated and dangerous wing-to-wing refueling was available only to big airplanes like Badger, Bear and so on. That is why this matter is so interesting for me.

Max the Mad Russian

I actually knew him. Both are uncommon but are a normal option with a handful of slots each, to do both he was pretty lucky but it was more about timing than anything else especially for the A-10 thing. For him he was in the right place in the right time and was good enough to get the billets he got.

Hello Flash, I'm back again after awhile: ski clash-related broken leg, some surgery, some titan things in the knee, so now I'm a Terminator-like while at airport security gate:)

Look, back to this pilot, then LtCdr Scott Craig who was flying USAF A-10 on exchange tour in 2007 in Afghan and who was very seldom example of 60' driver converted to Prowler guy. I found out that there was the EA-6B loss in VAQ-135 here in 2003, and if the pilot was that same Scott Craig, he was the same O-4 in 2003. Which is the normal tenure for NA who's flying to stay O-4 before O-5 selection board? Or that Prowler BuNo 158800 became an obstacle for his career?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look, back to this pilot, then LtCdr Scott Craig who was flying USAF A-10 on exchange tour in 2007 in Afghan and who was very seldom example of 60' driver converted to Prowler guy. I found out that there was the EA-6B loss in VAQ-135 here in 2003, and if the pilot was that same Scott Craig, he was the same O-4 in 2003. Which is the normal tenure for NA who's flying to stay O-4 before O-5 selection board? Or that Prowler BuNo 158800 became an obstacle for his career?

LCDR's are usually at that rank for ~5 years give or take a little bit, the mishap would have had no impact to his career as it was not his fault.