• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aw Grammar Smackdown 08!

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
JU, I agree, many intelligent people do speak multiple languages.

Or look at it this way: There's a tacit agreement here to use the English language (aside from A4's occasional use of Hawaiian or Spanish), which involves certain conventions. Try asking someone at an AF base where the "head" is, and they'll tell you they don't call it that, they call it a cranial. By the time you figure out what's going on, you'll have wet yourself.

Also, if you just disciplined yourself to not make those mistakes even in casual writing, then you wouldn't have to spend so much time proofreading, and we wouldn't think less of you for the occasional misspelled word.

From another thread, it's SEQUEL!

Beans, I think you missed my point. It was that spelling is arbitrary. Head is "head" instead of "hed" only because Webster said so (no not the one from different strokes). What you talkin' 'bout Beans is jargon. In which case it is important to be on the same page, to use the same convention. Though you're right, I could discipline myself to be a great speller. Some people have a knack for spelling. I have spell checker. I proofread like a mofo because I care about my writing. I want it to be clear and concise. Occasionally misspelling a word just makes me look lazy, whereas poor grammar, shi**y sentence structure, and incoherent paragraphs makes me look like a moron. Just sayin'.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
... spelling is arbitrary. ...

I could not disagree more with that statement. It's not just Webster "saying so," but rather every literate person who decides to follow the [specifically, spelling] conventions of their language. Spelling is either right or wrong, and my point is that it matters all the time.

I just spent two semesters teaching an Introduction to Astronomy lab, which requires the students (mostly freshmen) to write one short essay every week. It gave me so much joy to take off points when they wrote things like "u" or didn't bother to write in complete sentences. I'm terrified by the fact that these kids got into college.

Overall, though, I'd say AW is one of the better forums with regard to grammar and spelling.

johnny utah

pilot
I could not disagree more with that statement. It's not just Webster "saying so," but rather every literate person who decides to follow the [specifically, spelling] conventions of their language. Spelling is either right or wrong, and my point is that it matters all the time.

Fair enough. But when "literate people" decide not to strictly adhere to convention, then convention evolves. This happens for many reasons, but prolly because people are lazy. Look how much English has evolved from Shakespeare until now. English used to have formal pronouns for chrissake. Shakespeare would call your spelling, modern spelling, atrocious. Yet if he sat down and watched "Reservoir Dogs," like the way we sit and watch "Hamlet," he'd eventually figure out the plot (and that they're both great plays/movies cuz everyone dies in the end). So as long as ideas are flowing from writer to reader, I call our language a success.

I will concede, however, that in the professional world spelling and grammar are very important and conventions don't neccesarrily contour to the will of the people. So Yous aint gonna see me rappin' like dis in any Navy writing. But who knows. Maybe enough people will get sick of writing "he/she," in an effort to create equality between the genders, that the Man himself, or perhaps Webster, will grant us a new gender-ambiguous word to use.

(Stand-by for a ridiculous thread on what that new word may be)

For now I'm saying, "That's the end of that chapter." tosses scarf over should and dusts off hands

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Fair enough. But when "literate people" decide not to strictly adhere to convention, then convention evolves. This happens for many reasons, but prolly because people are lazy. Look how much English has evolved from Shakespeare until now. English used to have formal pronouns for chrissake.

So...you're saying 13 year old girls on AIM are driving the evolution of language? I don't think I'm comfortable with that.

johnny utah

pilot
Did I catch a "prolly" in there?

But then again, I even text in full words. Call me old fashion.

Old Fashion,

"Prolly" is my bread and butter. It comes from writing the way I talk. Also, do you mean "old fashioned?" Seriously, enough of the grammar police. Can't we just have the Coherent Police?

v/r,
JU

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
So...you're saying 13 year old girls on AIM are driving the evolution of language? I don't think I'm comfortable with that.
Yes. Deal with it.

Anyone who takes themselves particularly seriously while correcting grammar on the internet should be interested in hobbies like holding back thunderheads with a compact mirror and digging stable tunnels by hand in the surf-zone.

There's a line between communication and confusion. When somebody can't be understood, I don't mind the grammar police, in fact I support them whol-heartedly. When it comes out "your" instead of "you're" because someone has a quick thought, the fact that you got so wrapped in pointing out that error (something that you cannot even distinguish in conversation) instead of contributing to the discussion must say something about you (something like "meter maid").

It's the internet:the bleeding edge of our ability to communicate and the evolution / degredation of written English. Any idiot can get on it and post on it. It is true, unfettered, democracy. It's institutionally lazy and excessively convenient. Feel free to fight it if you must.

But what do I know...

I will say this, however. I don't care what the rule is: anyone who clearly enunciates "an" with "historic" may as well be using it with "hat rack." It just sounds bad. Fire also has two syllables, I don't give a damn what the book says or where you grew up.