• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aw Grammar Smackdown 08!

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
I dunno. I'm gonna side with Mark Twain on the this one, in that an intelligent person is capable of spelling any word at least two ways. That said, when writing for the Navy, I proof read and spell check like a mofo. But what's a matter with writing like the way you'd normally talk, at least while on the "Interweb?" Writing, above all, ought to be clear and concise.

http://www.twainquotes.com/Spelling.html

Standing by for red ink,
JU

P.S. I enjoy long walks along the beach and my pet peeves include redundancies (like "unsolved mysteries"), and people who do things good.:D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

atcutlaly taht is irnestinteg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
THE BIGGEST PET PEEVE: "Would of", "Could of", or "Should of". You lose all intellectual credibility with me if you type that.

For those who need to earn that credibility back, it's "XOULD HAVE"

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Technically, it is called "flash recognition." This actually has a fairly large military application. I used to work on some things for the DoD using this principle. Probably the most well known example of using flash recognition is the Iraq card deck. The intent was to allow the guys on the ground to recognize the people of interest without having to think about it...much like a car fanatic recognizes a Corvette or Ferrari without necessarily being able to tell you why if pressed to describe one. Or, like above, how you can flash recognize a word because you aren't actually reading it but process it as a whole.

See what I did there at the end? Brought it full circle. I'll put myself up for a NAM.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
JU, I agree, many intelligent people do speak multiple languages.

Or look at it this way: There's a tacit agreement here to use the English language (aside from A4's occasional use of Hawaiian or Spanish), which involves certain conventions. Try asking someone at an AF base where the "head" is, and they'll tell you they don't call it that, they call it a cranial. By the time you figure out what's going on, you'll have wet yourself.

Also, if you just disciplined yourself to not make those mistakes even in casual writing, then you wouldn't have to spend so much time proofreading, and we wouldn't think less of you for the occasional misspelled word.

From another thread, it's SEQUEL!

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
My apartment info packet that came in the mail the other day says that I could "occur" fines for smoking inside. I almost want to send them back a snappy response...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
My apartment info packet that came in the mail the other day says that I could "occur" fines for smoking inside. I almost want to send them back a snappy response...

Haha...just smoke it up and when they try to fine you, take it to small claims court and tell the judge you weren't informed that you could incur fines for smoking.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm sure many people have noticed that in the past few years, with the increase in user-created content on the internet, grammatical errors are spreading faster than a Primary selection rumor. Unfortunately, this site with its well-educated Military Officers and friends has not been immune. It would help all of us in our professional careers and in our personal enrichment to make sure we don't fall victim to this.

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I'm guessing that I share a few pet peeves with many users of this site. Here are a few errors I have noticed that make me die a little inside every time I read them.

If anyone has some useful resources to post or other common errors to point out, I think it'd help us out a lot, and make this site even betterer.
You are right.

I'm going to start saying "Fuck" a lot more ...

To me .... it's kinda like "Aloha" ... it's versatile, universal, and shows self-confidence & maturity.
:)

*EDIT* .... ALOHA, Bruddahs !!!

shakarn4.jpg

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
"certainly illustrates the diversity of the word..."

Great movie! +1