• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aw Grammar Smackdown 08!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the Consensus on Writing everything as if you were a Founding Father? You know, Capitalizing random Words with no Apparent reason?
The Gentlemen of whom you ſpeak capitalized Nouns, as that was the Cuſtom during their Lifetimes, and to this Day in the German Language, of which Engliſh is a cloſe Couſin. :icon_tong

The rest just makes you look like an idiot.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
What's the Consensus on Writing everything as if you were a Founding Father? You know, Capitalizing random Words with no Apparent reason?
I'm JuSt GlAd We DoN't HaVe PeOpLe On AiRwArRiOrS tYpInG lIkE fIfTeEn-YeAr OlDs On MySpAcE.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
The Gentlemen of whom you ſpeak capitalized Nouns, as that was the Cuſtom during their Lifetimes, and to this Day in the German Language, of which Engliſh is a cloſe Couſin. :icon_tong

The rest just makes you look like an idiot.
Nice! I was just waiting for someone to throw in those weird f's they used for s. Always found that funny.

Also, m0t, while the Internet is a proper noun by AP style rules, I've never seen anyone outside of a journalistic setting capitalizing it. Props to you for knowing that. However, in normal writing I don't capitalize it ;)

I've worked as a proofreader/copy editor, which makes this thread very interesting to me. Perhaps ironically, I think people are too hard on others for their grammatical and spelling errors. I've seen great writers make little slip-ups. Besides that, human beings are not naturally talented at writing. We learn to speak very quickly and easily at a young age, but are still perfecting our writing ability a decade and a half into our education.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Actually, I believe the correct term is "ricockulous."

My boss said that to me one time and I've bee traumatized ever since.

Worst part is, she was an English major during her undergrad.

Picaroon: I'm from the Internet, hell yea I know that! As far as APA/MLA is concerned (the two styles that most collegiate papers are written in) it's capitalized. I mean, internet means "internetwork" however *the* Internet is referred to as a specific unitary entity.

But yea, internets to you too, sir.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Commas, while not always necessary, are often grammatically correct even when used frequently, excessively, or, to put it frankly, too much.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
A lot of this Internet misspelling and typing is caused by AIM and text messaging. So many kids communicate almost solely through these two avenues where shorthand is not only accepted, but encouraged. Thus, the vicious cycle continues...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of this Internet misspelling and typing is caused by AIM and text messaging. So many kids communicate almost solely through these two avenues where shorthand is not only accepted, but encouraged. Thus, the vicious cycle continues...
Because their English teachers don't lay the smack down and force them to learn correctly. Because learning is about concepts rather than details and everything is subjective. :icon_rage Sorry to say, if your grammar sucks, people think (or should think) less of you whether you're a civilian, officer, or enlisted. It's a matter of discipline and respect. The occasional goof is one thing, but I've seen some posts here that were almost incoherent. And I can only hope that anyone of any importance or significance whatsoever is not a YouTube commenter.

(I sound like an old fart. Sheesh.)