• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Avoiding MEPS?

baz1

Hey guys i'm applying for PLC this summer and i'm a bit of a bind..

I had PRK done in January and just got my 3 month post op - so i'm good to go for applying for the vision waiver, but the problem is I still need to get my basic physical done at MEPS before I can get cleared for OCS. But MEPS denied me saying I need to wait 6 months post-PRK to get my basic physical?! That would push me back till mid-July and I wouldn't be able to make it this summer at all.

So I was wondering, is there a way around going to MEPS for the physical? I searched the forums here and a couple guys said they were able to go to a nearby Navy/MC base and have a doctor (flight surgeon?) give them the physical and sign off the paperwork instead of going to MEPS. - But that was back in 2002, and when I asked my recruiter, he said he hasn't heard of that being possible.

Does anyone know if that can still be done? The nearest base to me would Great Lakes in Chi-town.

Thanks for any help

nugget61

pilot
I have a similar situation, just navy not usmc. Even if you got around MEPS, I don't think that's the real issue - I talked to the PRK FS in Pcola and he told me that the 6 months is for the waiver for all applicants. Don't know how that'd be different for you, but I imagine that it's close.

baz1

Hey nugget thanks but I think we're talking about 2 different things. Getting around the MEPS physical (DoD) is the only big problem right now, not the vision waiver (through Pcola) for the air contract.

If it came down to it, I would readily go to OCS this summer as ground instead of air, I just want to be able to go..

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Hey nugget thanks but I think we're talking about 2 different things. Getting around the MEPS physical (DoD) is the only big problem right now, not the vision waiver (through Pcola) for the air contract.

If it came down to it, I would readily go to OCS this summer as ground instead of air, I just want to be able to go..

Someone might be able to answer this better but I dont think there is a way around the MEPs physical since it is needed to for your application to determine if you are medically qualified to serve in the military. I know of people who have gotten waivers for specific disqualification, but I doubt that you will be able to get one for PRK if you are not yet outside of the 6-month wait. Bottom line...you should probably discuss this with your OSO.

MettGT

pilot
Someone might be able to answer this better but I dont think there is a way around the MEPs physical since it is needed to for your application to determine if you are medically qualified to serve in the military. I know of people who have gotten waivers for specific disqualification, but I doubt that you will be able to get one for PRK if you are not yet outside of the 6-month wait. Bottom line...you should probably discuss this with your OSO.

Personally, I never went to MEPS. The only physical I had was my flight physical down in Pensacola before I shipped off to OCS. However, I was OCC, not PLC. I agree with talking about it with your OSO. He should be able to find you answers.

capitoljake13

I've thought it was six months after PRK before you could file for a waiver under any circumstance. Nugget61, didn't you point out somewhere that the waiver guidelines are in fact outdated and it will be changed to 6 months for Pcola when they are revised?

If it truly is 3 months for the flight physical I'd like to have your OSO talk to mine. I had PRK last friday and would love to make the Oct. OCC instead of Jan.

I had my MEPS last month at which time I was talking with the Army, and the recruiters were totally foreign to PRK applicants but they believed that I couldn't select my ship-out date until my MEPS vision test had been updated after 6 mon. I've since decided on USMC and my OSO there says a waiver can not even be filed to Pcola until after six mon but has said nothing about MEPS.. and (for OCC anyway) you can't show up without a cleared waiver. His plan is to contract me ground ASAP to hold a spot, then switch to air after the waiver clears.

just my recent experiences..

nugget61

pilot

I don't have any idea how its done on the MC side of the house, but I can't even get a FS, much less attend OCS without being med up for regular physical activity, and MEPS said that until I get my PRK waiver I'll still be down from that. I don't know if this would be the same for me if I wasn't in on a flight contract, but there it is.
And from what I've heard, its a terrible idea to go in with the hopes of swapping contracts once you're in.

I've thought it was six months after PRK before you could file for a waiver under any circumstance. Nugget61, didn't you point out somewhere that the waiver guidelines are in fact outdated and it will be changed to 6 months for applicants when they are revised?
Yeah, that's what they told me regarding the Navy Aeromedical Waivers - I have no clue if y'all have a different set of rules/governing medical body though.

capitoljake13

Wouldn't you need a clear MEPS for either one? If you could go to juniors for ground this summer couldn't you just switch to air before seniors like every one else does?

Let me know how this works out cause I'm curious as to if/how you actually get through Pensacola in 3 months.

nugget61 said:
Yeah, that's what they told me regarding the Navy Aeromedical Waivers - I have no clue if y'all have a different set of rules/governing medical body though.

I thought they used the same protocol (NAMI, etc.) correct me if that's false

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
I sent you a PM on this but felt I should also make my input public. Working at a MEPS, I can tell you that there is no way around the wait time for MEPS processing; eye surgery is a mandatory 6 months to a year TDQ (Temporary Disqualification) for processing at MEPS, that includes ALL MEPS.

I’ve personally never seen or heard of someone replacing a MEPS physical for one performed by a Navy doc, but I guess anything is possible. There is a reason why the Navy uses MEPS for officer and enlisted accessions: enlistment standards are in place to ensure the individuals we accept to serve in our organization are medically fit to serve; trying to circumvent the system is not a good way to start off your Navy career.

Say you get this physical done by a Navy doc before the 6 month mandatory wait for your surgery and then you ship off to OCS shortly thereafter. If your training at OCS were to cause problems with your eyes so server to the point that it said problem caused you to be removed from training or created permanent damage then that Navy doc who signed off on your phys before the mandatory 6 mo wait could possibly be separated from the Navy, or go to jail, or lose his license to practice medicine or all of the above because he did not follow the medical enlistment standards for Navy accession.

You could probably find a Navy doc or two who are not that familiar with the details of enlistment standards to perform your phys – and it may be accepted by the board. But, I would avoid getting a Navy doc (familiar or not with enlistment standards) wrapped up in your ordeal. Like I said, there is a MEPS for a reason just like there is an OCS…. It sucks, but those are the rules we must live by.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
Wouldn't you need a clear MEPS for either one? If you could go to juniors for ground this summer couldn't you just switch to air before seniors like every one else does?

Ask your OSO about this, I havent even had PRK yet but I went to Jrs last summer on an NFO contract and I will switch to Air when I get PRK and the waiver accepted. I know numerous guys who have been to OCS on different contracts and switch but they still needed MEPS to go so it seems to me like your real problem is getting MEPS out of the way no matter the other situations are.