• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Avoidant/Compulsive Personality Traits

Inexorable

Sitting in Purgatory
During my 5th week of OCS in lovely Newport, RI, I had to see the psychologist at behavioral health for my flight physical. I had seen a counselor/psychologist in college three times for adjustment issues, not knowing what to do in the future, etc.

I took the MMPI while there and based on that and her "findings", I was determined to have "avoidant behavior traits" and "compulsive personality traits". I have a letter from NOMI sitting in from of me stating that these conditions are permanent and a waiver is not recommended. I've read the waiver guide and it appears that once I am found to be not aeronautically adaptive I will never be aeronautically adaptive, althought it indicates that if one "matures" they can retest in 2 to 3 years.

However, everyone I've spoken to about this save the psychologist thinks this is complete BS. Do I have any recourse to try to get this relooked at? I'm willing to talk to another psychologist and take whatever tests may be necessary. I'm sitting here in student pool waiting for a designator so it's safe to say that I can find the time to do what needs to be done.

Thanks.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
It is possible that the findings of another Psychologist may give you another chance. However, any chance you may have must begin with the folks at NOMI who gave the original diagnosis. Call them.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Fvcking head shrinks.

This is why all things are better through copious amounts of self medication in the form of Johnny Walker Black and women of the same low moral character as myself. I wish they would tell you before you talk to a shrink "hey...this is privileged...unless you want to get a job down the road. Then it's not. Now, let's talk about your mother"

Disclaimer: This is not meant to imply you should self medicate with alcohol or fornicate with women of ill repute, unless you're into that kind of thing.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What flight physical routinely involves a Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory???

Were you doing anything else to draw attention to yourself?

BourneID

pilot
Maybe he had to shut the door three times when he went to close it, or turn the doorknob multiple times. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What flight physical routinely involves a Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory???
Several airlines' hiring process involves the MMPI ....

The question that almost busted me out was:

"Do you feel like there's metal bands around your head???"
:)

My bands were so tight, I didn't know how to answer.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Fvcking head shrinks.

This is why all things are better through copious amounts of self medication in the form of Johnny Walker Black and women of the same low moral character as myself. I wish they would tell you before you talk to a shrink "hey...this is privileged...unless you want to get a job down the road. Then it's not. Now, let's talk about your mother"

Disclaimer: This is not meant to imply you should self medicate with alcohol or fornicate with women of ill repute, unless you're into that kind of thing.

Wiser words could not have been spoken....

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was a mid getting a waiver to get into aviation because of my mental health history when I was younger they made me take the MMPI too. In my case they said they were making me do it only because of my history, not because of any current issues or diagnosis. I got the waiver because I was within normal ranges for everything.