• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Wing Sword Holder

SaberWW

Check in to see if there might be some interest in some wing sword holders. I originally made a pair (Army) for myself, showed them to a couple friends who then wanted a different wing/badge for themselves or someone else. I can make them out of any wood though I'm currently just working with walnut, cherry, and a little maple. Names can be added as well.

Attachments

• FirstWalnutWings_1.JPG
    FirstWalnutWings_1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • DoubleStetson.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • FirstWalnutWings.jpg
    FirstWalnutWings.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
  • IWO.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 32

Pags

N/A
pilot
Check in to see if there might be some interest in some wing sword holders. I originally made a pair (Army) for myself, showed them to a couple friends who then wanted a different wing/badge for themselves or someone else. I can make them out of any wood though I'm currently just working with walnut, cherry, and a little maple. Names can be added as well.
Those are pretty swell. If I didn't already have a sword holder I'd totally get one.

What's your process?

SaberWW

Those are pretty swell. If I didn't already have a sword holder I'd totally get one.

What's your process?
Start with rough sawn lumber, joint, plane, panel glue up, joint, plane, machine, sand, then finish. Kind of a lengthy process but you really can't get single boards in the size needed to make these.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Very nice. Right now my sword holder is the corner of a basement closet, so it might be time.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Start with rough sawn lumber, joint, plane, panel glue up, joint, plane, machine, sand, then finish. Kind of a lengthy process but you really can't get single boards in the size needed to make these.
Right on. You using some sort of CAD router for your machining?

I hand carved a Bellamy Eagle from a chunk of cedar a few months ago. Cedar was a poor choice but the finished eagle looks good.

taxi1

pilot
Gorgeous!

Curious where you got your 3D model from. The front of the Willow Grove base HQ had this beautiful set of cast concrete Navy wings over the entrance, and I've thought a few times about making a mold and doing it for myself.

SaberWW

Right on. You using some sort of CAD router for your machining?

I hand carved a Bellamy Eagle from a chunk of cedar a few months ago. Cedar was a poor choice but the finished eagle looks good.
Yes, I have a 5'x10' Avid Pro machine.
Denser the wood the better they carve, hard maple comes out really nice vs the walnut which takes a fair amount of sanding to get the edge grain cuts cleaned up.
Gorgeous!

Curious where you got your 3D model from. The front of the Willow Grove base HQ had this beautiful set of cast concrete Navy wings over the entrance, and I've thought a few times about making a mold and doing it for myself.
Check out the Vectric Design and Make store.