• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Kind of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
For the newbs...we break to the left at the boat.

This looks like the special "Prowler/Intruder Tuck Under Break"

a6break9zz.jpg

Nice Schnug!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kolja said:
I think a couple squadrons still do - I seem to recall VAQ-139 having their little kitty-kat paw print still on the nose, maybe one or two other squadrons - but it's been increasingly rare.
Team Cougar! Meow! :eek:

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnuggapup said:
For the newbs...we break to the left at the boat.

This looks like the special "Prowler/Intruder Tuck Under Break"
Yeah, the guy on the right rolls 270 degrees right followed by a left break.

Brett

JT Eagle

Funny nose markings

VAQ-138 Yellowjackets still has the old radiation symbol on the nose. Their '500' jet also looks pretty nice in the groove with the yellow speed boards deployed. As for nose symbols, is the reason for the '+' on the nose of E-2s to distinguish them from the Mighty COD? Can they be mistaken one for another from the LSO's viewpoint? Does it matter much?

Inquiring minds want to know.

JT

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
I like the Darth Vader on the tail of VAQ-209 Star Warriors Prowlers and the old VX-9 Playboy bunny that they had to get rid of

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
JT Eagle said:
VAQ-138 Yellowjackets still has the old radiation symbol on the nose. Their '500' jet also looks pretty nice in the groove with the yellow speed boards deployed. As for nose symbols, is the reason for the '+' on the nose of E-2s to distinguish them from the Mighty COD? Can they be mistaken one for another from the LSO's viewpoint? Does it matter much?

Inquiring minds want to know.

JT

The '+' on an E-2 signifies the E-2C+ upgrade which includes radar improvements, software upgrades, and more powerful engines. The engine part is important for LSO's. Not even the most blind LSO could mistake an E-2C for the COD.

OK, here are a couple of nice pics of NG500 catching the deuce. BTW, the speedbrakes were striped yellow and black. ;)
ng500-2.jpg

ng500.jpg

OK, and here is another trivia question for you all (A4's you're not allowed to answer this one).

If the radiation symbol on the nose was used to differentiate the Prowler and Intruder during the day, what was used at night to differentiate them for the LSO and arresting gear operators?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
OK, and here is another trivia question for you all (A4's you're not allowed to answer this one).

If the radiation symbol on the nose was used to different the Prowler and Intruder during the day, what was used at night to differentiate them for the LSO and arresting gear operators?

Teacher, TEACHER, TEACHER !!!! I know!! I KNOW!!!
nutz2ec.jpg

But saaaayyyyyy .... who are those Studs on the far side of the flight deck looking uber-handsome and all-powerful ??? I LOVE those speed brakes .....

SteveG75

None
A4sForever said:
I LOVE those speed brakes .....
Well, if you love those, how about some nose art:

NH501, circa 1995 (VA-95's last cruise):
pv.jpg

NG620, circa 1997-8 (USS Nimitz world cruise):
yellowjacket.jpg

As for the trivia, I bet even some of the newer Prowler guys don't know.

Kolja

Git-r-done
SteveG75 said:
As for the trivia, I bet even some of the newer Prowler guys don't know.

I suspect the answer is not as simple as the fact that one would check into Marshall as 5XX and the other would check in as 62X...

SteveG75

None
Kolja said:
I suspect the answer is not as simple as the fact that one would check into Marshall as 5XX and the other would check in as 62X...

Nope. Clue. How do they differentiate between a Hornet and a Rhino at night?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Uhh Im going to guess flashing vice steady nav lights (that is how the assault guys differentiate left and right seats

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
........ Not even the most blind LSO could mistake an E-2C for the COD.

Blind LSO ??? As in Mice???
blindmice_bf32.gif

Naaaaa .... LSO's wear dark glasses because they're cool ...
paddles16yu.gif

Kolja

Git-r-done
SteveG75 said:
Nope. Clue. How do they differentiate between a Hornet and a Rhino at night?

The air boss calling on the 5MC (or whatever the hell it is) "Next airplane is a Hornet, 1 mile, on bravo..." ?? :D

SteveG75

None
Many good guesses but no right ones.

But here is some Intruder trivia. Anti-smash was not controlled by the master lights switch. So, You usually secured the anit-smash before the push from marshall, otherwise, you would trap, light off, and be lighting the deck up with a nice red anti-smash.

Oh, and that has nothing to do with the answer.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
.....You usually secured the anit-smash before the push from marshall, otherwise, you would trap, light off, and be lighting the deck up with a nice red anti-smash.....
And then, some guys wouldn't turn it off ..... and the price of an anti-smash in the groove at night --- instant bottle of choice for the LSO (i.e., me :) ). And I don't mean aftershave ..... but fortunately for the unwashed, disgraced, slovenly offender --- liquor was cheap in Cubi.

nightcarrierdeck26ls.jpg
... workin' late ..... can anyone I.D. the mount???

Status
Not open for further replies.