• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator and Aircrewman Brothers?

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
I'm a few weeks out from winging in Helos, and just found out my lil' brother is comin' to Pensacola to be an aircrewman. Pretty cool. We'll have a lot of shop to talk about at the Utah family reunions. Without looking, I'm guessing there's a rule against aviator/aircrew brothers in the same squadron. Anyone know for sure? Any other aviator/aircrew brothers out there?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well, on my ship we had a set of twins on there. However, they were both enlisted. I would be willing to bet that would not be allowed with one enlisted and the other officer. Creates a whole different bag of potential problems.

brownshoe

Contributor
I'm a few weeks out from winging in Helos, and just found out my lil' brother is comin' to Pensacola to be an aircrewman. Pretty cool. We'll have a lot of shop to talk about at the Utah family reunions. Without looking, I'm guessing there's a rule against aviator/aircrew brothers in the same squadron. Anyone know for sure? Any other aviator/aircrew brothers out there?

Are you referring to this?

Steve

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq72-5.htm

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Actually I believe you can request co-location. My brother and I even though we were both enlisted were able to use this if we so desired. I had orders to Hawaii but because of my co-location I was able to stay in Jax if I wanted (even though there were no orders to Jax) since he was stationed at Kings Bay. I decided to go to Hawaii because he was getting out a year later. You can request the co-location and be stationed in the same geographical area if you want. However, you will not be in the same squadron if you are both able to fly in the same aircraft ie 60's or P-3's. More than likely you will be in sister squadrons or bases in the same geographical area. In my squadron we had a female NFO who's husband was an aircrewman. He was on shore duty while she was on sea duty and the Navy just had them alternate that as well as PCS due to the children. Which ever one of you hits the fleet first just have the other request a co-location (especially if there are no orders to a particular area). The Navy tries to keep family together if possible and I don't think it matters that one will be an officer and the other enlisted as I said before.

P.S. If your brother is at the top of his class in "A" school then more than likely he will be able to select an area close to where you are stationed.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know if you'll be able to be co-located, but that's awesome! My bet is that if you can't be located in the same squadron, you would likely be able to be in the same duty station, so if you were in San Diego or Virginia, no problem... different squadrons.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
You do not want to be in the same squadron as your brother, the implications of favortism (and fraternization) are too great. Even if you did not show favortism, the appearance of impropriarty is something the Navy frowns on.
My advice is if you both end up in the same community, make sure you keep your relationship at work professional also make sure you mention to your CO/XO that your brother is an AW in another squadron. It's easier to spend five minutes informing the front office than responding to a call to the front office and explain while doing the carpet shuffle.

johnny utah

pilot
thanks for the replies gents. lots of good stuff. i'll definitely give the front office a heads up. it'd be pretty sweet to be co-stationed sometime in the future. but for now i'm looking forward to having some beers with him at hopjacks in a few weeks.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
You can request the co-location and be stationed in the same geographical area if you want. However, you will not be in the same squadron if you are both able to fly in the same aircraft ie 60's or P-3's. More than likely you will be in sister squadrons or bases in the same geographical area.

This may sound like ancient history, but in my first VP squadron, we had two sets of brothers, all officers, one was a pilot and the other three were NFOs. As far as I can remember, there were no restrictions about scheduling brothers to fly on the same event. Maybe things have changed now, as this was some 20 years ago.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
This may sound like ancient history, but in my first VP squadron, we had two sets of brothers, all officers, one was a pilot and the other three were NFOs. As far as I can remember, there were no restrictions about scheduling brothers to fly on the same event. Maybe things have changed now, as this was some 20 years ago.

Yeah, but there is a huge difference with all of them as officers or enlisted. Mixing the two just isn't a good idea.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeah, but there is a huge difference with all of them as officers or enlisted. Mixing the two just isn't a good idea.

When I was in VQ-1 there were twin brothers who were both pilots in VQ-2, they were pretty well known USNA grads that everyone from there seemed to know. The only thing the squadron did special with them was not have them fly together, I think it was the squadron's own policy instead of higher direction. I ran into one a few years later, he had switched to Army FAO by then.

As for Officer/Enlisted brothers in the same command I would think it is less likely, as FC2 pointed out it isn't probably the best idea. Co-locating to the same base or area is much easier and likely.

johnny utah

pilot
Mention to them that they should open a bar in Kingsville.

actually i think they're working on it, yeah, right after they open one in Lemmore. Shared a pint and a pizza with Cory there just the other week. it was awesome. the girls say hi and you're receipt is still on the wall.