• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Age limit w/ Waiver Question

Wes Prince

I'm attempting to try for an Naval Aviator position. I'm 28 years old turning 29 in July. I'm prior service USAF 4.5 years active duty. According to my Recruiter the cutoff age for aviators is (has not reached 28th birthday); however, being prior service I can get a 24 month waiver. My recruiter says I am too old and won't qualify because I would need to commission before my 29th bday, which is in 2 months. My question is if he is correct on this or not? According to my calculations shouldn't I still qualify as long as I don't turn 30? (Has not reached 28+ 2 year waiver= has not reached 30).

exNavyOffRec

It is commission by age 27 but if prior service can get a month for month waiver up to the age of 29 (commissioned by)

so he is correct, you are too old for SNA, you are ok for NFO

Wes Prince

OK, Thanks for the quick reply. Also, how about USMC? are they the exact same standards? I talked to an OSO a month ago and he said there IS a chance I could be selected, but it would be unlikely unless I scored like a 65 on ASTB and got a 300 on PFT.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
For the USMC side age waivers go up the chain from the OSO all the way to a MCRC General Officer desk for approval. Each person who looks at your waiver request will put their recommendation (positive or negative) on it and send it up. It has a lot to do with what your OSO thinks of you, as well as your PFT and GPA scores. It sounds daunting, but if you want this you will press hard for it. For mine, they mostly wanted to know why I was so late applying that I needed a waiver, fortunately I had a very good reason and it was granted. I turned 29 at OCS. Your prior service should definitely help with that.

Food for thought also, if you are wanting to do more of the pilot type shit and like the idea of helicopters, look into Army WOFT. Their age limit is 33.

Wes Prince

Fantastic! That's exactly what I needed to know. I will push as hard as I can for this. I have to be a Marine, God has decided

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I should caveat my earlier post by saying that the process was not quick by any stretch of the imagination. I think the waiver request was submitted in March-ish and was approved in October. Don't hold your breath, but press.

Ralph

It is commission by age 27 but if prior service can get a month for month waiver up to the age of 29 (commissioned by)

so he is correct, you are too old for SNA, you are ok for NFO

I thought it was 27 and up to 30 with prior service?