• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

aviation

BackOrdered

Contributor
For clarification:

Anyone can jump in if I'm wrong, but the way it works is you apply for the community you want and your selection/guarantee is on the basis that that was the board that you wanted to apply for and you were selected by said board. Thus, it's a guaranteed thing, though I think it is as much of a "guarantee" as applying to work in a company at a specific position and getting that position; no kidding you were guaranteed right?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
and if i dont get into BDCP than me getting aviation depends on ASTB scores and performance in OCS. is that right?
Since you are asking about BDCP, I assume you are looking at the Navy.

For the Navy, you go into OCS already knowing what specialty (designator) you will be training for after commissioning. Being accepted into a specialty (SNA, SNFO, SWO, Supply, etc.) is part of the application process.

I'll let a Marine correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is they sign either an air (SNA or SNFO) or ground contract. Those with SNA and SNFO know that they will be going to flight school after TBS. Those with a ground contract get a specialty assigned coming out of TBS. What specialty the ground Marine ends up with depends on a combination of their desires, the needs of the service and their TBS class standing. There are no guarantees for the ground guys.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Yes, for BDCP:
You apply for a specific designator (up to 3), and you are either accepted or not, into that designator. Meaning that in order for you to get into to the program, you have to be accepted into a designator you applied for (and then choose to agree to after they accepted you). The process of getting your designator, and being accepted into the program is essentially synonymous.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yes, for BDCP:
You apply for a specific designator (up to 3), and you are either accepted or not, into that designator. Meaning that in order for you to get into to the program, you have to be accepted into a designator you applied for (and then choose to agree to after they accepted you). The process of getting your designator, and being accepted into the program is essentially synonymous.

I've heard on this board that it is very possible to get selected for a community and not get picked up for BDCP.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Since you are asking about BDCP, I assume you are looking at the Navy.

For the Navy, you go into OCS already knowing what specialty (designator) you will be training for after commissioning. Being accepted into a specialty (SNA, SNFO, SWO, Supply, etc.) is part of the application process.

I'll let a Marine correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is they sign either an air (SNA or SNFO) or ground contract. Those with SNA and SNFO know that they will be going to flight school after TBS. Those with a ground contract get a specialty assigned coming out of TBS. What specialty the ground Marine ends up with depends on a combination of their desires, the needs of the service and their TBS class standing. There are no guarantees for the ground guys.

That sounds about right for the Marine program.

My question - what is the deal with the Marines saying they are the only branch which can guarantee you a flight contract? Is that just a marketing thing or do the programs differ slightly between say a Navy candidate selected to go to OCS for SNA and a Marine candidate selected for OCS with the pilot contract? This led to my screw up of info on the other thread last night. Or is there no difference?

Thanks.

B

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Theres something wrong with the Marines saying they are the "only one that guarantees a flight contract". In EVERY branch you know whether you are selected for a pilot slot before you ever go to OCS. Where does the notion that you wouldn't be guaranteed even come from?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I dont believe that is something Marine Officer recruiters tell their prospective Student Naval aviators...

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I've heard on this board that it is very possible to get selected for a community and not get picked up for BDCP.

The only way that is possible (which is true that it is possible), is to be selected by the board (Pro-Reced), sign the paperwork for that community, but then either fail the next steps (PRT, MEPS, Security Clearance submission), and have them not select you as a final select, or just for some other random reason not get Final Selected. The point remains, his concern (I am guessing), is he doesn't want to sign that he going to go to OCS unless he knows what he is selected to do, through BDCP that situation doesn't exist (with the exception of course being failing a flight physical or something along those lines to lose your slot).

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...Where does the notion that you wouldn't be guaranteed even come from?

Not so much that the other services "wont", but I've seen a lot of stuff on the Marines being the "only".

After a quick search I found a few school-related websites which say this type of thing. A few examples are:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~marines/faqs.html#flight1

http://www.und.edu/org/mao/marine_why.html

And I have seen the same words on flyers and papers from the OSO. Mine as well as another. When I initial tried to apply for the Navy program, the recruiter explained how I would need to be selected as SNA before I can go to OCS. This is why I asked the question above.

The majority of sites/brochures/etc. say it is guaranteed and leave out the "only" stuff, but I have seen it in several different places. Is this just bad info being put out?

Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
messed that one up...

can you be garaunteed aviation before ocs?
...and here I thought you were referring to something else you messed up. ;) Hint: it's not spelled like it sounds up there in the Midwest.