• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation WO medical concern?

Jacob Filer

I am very new to this form, as this is my first post, and I have some questions about my medical history and if it will affect my chances of getting an aviation Warrent Officer slot. First I would like to say that I plan on enlisting into the Army as a 15T for some time, get a college degree, and try to get a private pilot's license . Therefore, it is safe that I wont be taking my aviator medical examination for a while, but I have a question on something I think could disqualify me from it. I am 17 years old now and last year when I was 16 I had a panic attack from something I got scared of, I know it sounds dumb. I had to go see a psychiatrist at an Army hospital, my family is military, and she didn't recommend me any pills but did recommend me to go through some form of therapy. I was in therapy sessions for 3-4 months for other reasons, not the panic attack, nor suicide either, it was for stress management. Now its been a year since I left therapy and I haven't had any problems. So my main question is will these factors effect me in my chances in applying for an Army Aviation Medical, even though I wont take it in probably a few years. This is also the only panic attack I had in my life.

Thanks for reading and replying.

Last edited:

Able Dog

It's possible that you will not be able to enlist at all.

You will be required to fill out a complete medical history form when you visit the recruiters office. That form, along with your entire packet, will be forwarded to MEPS. The MEPS doctors will review your medical history and probably request the complete records from the psychiatrist to make their final decision.

MEPS will notify your recruiter to as to their decision.

I want you to post this question on military.com. There are two military doctors who monitor that site and they will be able to provide you with more information.

Good luck.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ There are a couple of active and retired Navy Flight Surgeons on this site and a couple of active/former Navy recruters.

I doubt a stress attack or stress management classes will keep you out of Army. It might require a waiver for aviation but that is a question for MEPS and your recruiter. I'm just guessing.

Posting questions like this on this or any other website is just going to get you multiple opinions (i.e. guesses) with maybe 1 or 2 close to the truth answers from the 1 or 2 people who work with these situations. Unless the answer starts with "I'm a Army/Navy/Air Force Doctor (or Recruiter)", it's nothing more than a guess. Don't lose sleep or stress over these answers. Contact a recruiter and/or military (MEPS) doctor and get the straight/right answer. If they recruiter does not know, ask him to bounce it higher for the answer. It's his job. If he won't, go to another recruiter.

BTW, as a divison officer and department head, I sent Sailors and an officer or two, to see the shrinks for stress conselling. None were ever kicked out flying. But there are different standards to get into flying than to keep flying. So this is not necessarily applicable. Just another bit of information.

Good luck.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Posting questions like this on this or any other website is just going to get you multiple opinions (i.e. guesses) with maybe 1 or 2 close to the truth answers from the 1 or 2 people who work with these situations. Unless the answer starts with "I'm a Army/Navy/Air Force Doctor (or Recruiter)", it's nothing more than a guess. Don't lose sleep or stress over these answers. Contact a recruiter and/or military (MEPS) doctor and get the straight/right answer. If they recruiter does not know, ask him to bounce it higher for the answer. It's his job. If he won't, go to another recruiter.

This should be the warning banner for these kinds of threads.