• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

aviation summer cruise mishaps

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A few other mids and myself were doing the online flight crew survival training recently, and I got to thinking. Anyone know if there has ever been a mishap with a midshipman on board? (i.e, crash, ditch, bail-out, ejection, other mishap) It seems pretty unlikely that anyone would get that unlucky, but still I guess anything is possible. Any stories to share from you guys who have been around for a while?

maxlife

From the unit's web site. Along time ago but still tragic. "17 July 1953-- twenty-three OU midshipmen killed in air crash aboard Navy plane during 2nd class cruise."

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
A buddy of mine went to Mayport, FL last year with a 60 Bravo Squadron. When they were on a cross country flight, they had some problems with the tail roter and ended up in a flat spin. They had to do an emergency landing, but thankfully, no one was hurt.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BadBobJr. said:
A buddy of mine went to Mayport, FL last year with a 60 Bravo Squadron. When they were on a cross country flight, they had some problems with the tail roter and ended up in a flat spin. They had to do an emergency landing, but thankfully, no one was hurt.

Were they headed out to sea? :icon_mi_1

B00004SVW4.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Don't know the language...but know what I see in this drawing....

spin.gif

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BadBobJr. said:

Im not a helo guy, but I dont think spin is the right language for it.

John Patrick Ryan survived a helo crash in the Med, finished his last year at the academy from the hospital.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
John Patrick Ryan survived a helo crash in the Med, finished his last year at the academy from the hospital.

Nice.

The last T/R malfunction that actually resulted in a full blown ditch I heard about was w/ HSL-40 on one of the pads during an FCF. I'd be interested to hear if there really was another since then, but I'd be surprised. I'd believe some kind of T/R malfunction, and maybe loss of control for a bit, but if it was a total loss of drive, those generally don't turn out too well (read: Class A). Any more details?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Heard this one when I did my MIDN "cruise" with VFA-125 a couple of years ago. Maybe somebody can verify this one: A middie was flying in the back of a hornet with his hands in his lap. Without realizing it he'd placed a few fingers underneath the ejection handle, and when the pilot rolled inverted during the flight, the MIDN accidentally ejected himself.

I don't know if it's true, but it did the trick... I never touched that handle. Ever.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sevenhelmet said:
Heard this one when I did my MIDN "cruise" with VFA-125 a couple of years ago. Maybe somebody can verify this one: A middie was flying in the back of a hornet with his hands in his lap. Without realizing it he'd placed a few fingers underneath the ejection handle, and when the pilot rolled inverted during the flight, the MIDN accidentally ejected himself.

I don't know if it's true, but it did the trick... I never touched that handle. Ever.
Haven't heard that one, but there was an incident where an O-6 SWO in the backseat of a Tomcat did essentially that at Fallon.

Brett

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
Haven't heard that one, but there was an incident where an O-6 SWO in the backseat of a Tomcat did essentially that at Fallon.

Brett

Photo of said incedent.

01.jpg

beau

John Patrick Ryan survived a helo crash in the Med said:
:D ...you unoriginal *******!! I only say that cause I couldnt think of it first...
but Im not spilling the beans on the orgin. :icon_smok

how long did it take him to walk again??? I think we should cut the kid a break.

SlickAg

pilot
Fly Navy said:

Says the movie. The books have ol' Jack, a proud BC Eagle, crashing on Crete during a NATO exercise during his first couple of months in the fleet.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I spilled a beer during my 1/C cruise. Does that count as a mishap?

Concentrate less on mishaps and more on what bars to hang out in. Or if you are not of age... what bars do not ask for ID. I mean... don't drink underage.:icon_smil. Yeah. That's what I meant.

Also... hunt for red october and/or every other Tom Clancy book/movie... who hasn't read/seen them? Not exactly obscure...:icon_tong