• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Rescue Swimmer

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
no haven't heard from her in a while - last I heard she was going to Great Lakes for 10 weeks (I thought boot camp was shorter than that), then to Pensacola for an extended amount of time for swim school, then to Newport for OCS. It all sounds really suspicious to me though. But I know the Marines don't have this option...

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
No reason for her to go to boot camp and OCS. She is going enlisted and just doesn't know it. Boot camp was 8.3 weeks when I went through but we had an extra 1.5 weeks that weren't included in the 8.3 to allow classes to catch up so they can have a big graduation every couple of weeks. So 10 weeks would not be uncommon.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
no haven't heard from her in a while - last I heard she was going to Great Lakes for 10 weeks (I thought boot camp was shorter than that), then to Pensacola for an extended amount of time for swim school, then to Newport for OCS. It all sounds really suspicious to me though. But I know the Marines don't have this option...

The Army sends some of their officer accessions to E boot camp then almost directly to OCS, but have never heard of this for the Navy. My guess, the same as Phrogdriver, they will be a 'Petty Officer'. ;)

Bevo16

pilot
I anticipate that she is going to be in for a big surprise at some point, if it has not already happened.

Does she already have a degree? This is certainly of the strangest things that I have ever heard of. I know for a fact that the Navy does not have a program like what she seems to think she is doing. If she is going to Aviation Rescue Swimmer School, then she will be headed to an FRS and then the fleet after she leaves Pensacola.

She can apply to OCS at several different points if she has a degree already, and she may get snapped up. I have seen that happen. It would be interesting to know what really was really promised and in writing in this case.

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
She has a degree - actually also has a masters, but the whole thing just seems fishy to me. I told her to look into it and get as much as possible and writing but she didn't. I'm definitely interested in hearing from her and finding out what is going to happen. The petty officer scenario had already crossed my mind. But on the other hand, she seems kind of too smart to get duped into something like that. Plus, her whole family is military, both E and O so she should theoretically know better

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The petty officer scenario had already crossed my mind. But on the other hand, she seems kind of too smart to get duped into something like that.

If she even makes it to ARSS, that is.

utak

This entire situation reminds me of a previous Dinosaur Comic I posted concerning recruiters.

It'll be hard for her to go to OCS directly from Rescue Swimmer School if she is going enlisted; if anything, training commands (with very few exceptions) do their best to discourage/deny/outright sabotage young sailor's ambitions and intentions of applying for an officer program.

AIRR90

Rescue swimmer

Im about to leave for Great Lakes, im AIRR im not 100% sure but i think if i make it ill be the youngest, i just turned 18 in june. if anyone knows how to find out let me know,

highside7r

None
AIRR, sorry many have come before you and many will after. I had several bright-eyed, bushy tailed 18yr old students in ARSS as an instructor. Hell, I was only 18 when I went in the 90's.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
18 yrs 10 mos when I graduated from ARSS twenty years ago. Nearly killed me. That old parking lot and the O course (now overgrown scrub brush) is hallowed ground.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
...when I graduated from ARSS twenty years ago. ...That old parking lot and the O course (now overgrown scrub brush) is hallowed ground.

Twenty years ago? When did ARSS combine to P'Cola? Has it really been that long?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Yes, to answer your question, you are really that old.

;)

How did you know that's where I was going with this? :D

Funny thing is, I only feel old when I see here on these pages just how much the Navy has changed since I got out.