• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer/Supply ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Marti,

A graduate degree is not a requirement for O-5, but is highly recommended for O-6. Most of the officers get it on their own time, as there are only 6 PG school slots available per fiscal year. If you can grab one of those slots, by all means, do it. But don't hold your breath.

Other than riding the desk, the community is fine. Understand where I am coming from, though. I'm 24, single with zero prior enlisted experience. Yet there are a lot of LDO/Warrants who are riding into the sunset, and the other AMDOs are typically 30, prior and married. I just don't feel like it's a good fit for me.

AeroZ

How hard is it to be AMDO?

HI Thisguy, I have an Engineering degree and very interested in AMDO. How hard is it to become one? How many are they choosen per selection?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
AeroZ,

I think it's something like 25 per fiscal year. Don't hold me to that. As for how hard it is, well, once you finish OCS, the hard part is over. It's not like going through nuke school or trying to get your wings of gold. What got you interested in AMDO? I have an engineering degree as well, and while the community likes that kind of background, I should warn you, you won't do anything technical involving your degree. That's what puzzled me about why they like engineering majors. I've noticed that alot of LTJGs and LTs have been selected for lat transfer to AMDO for such a small community, so it appears that there are enough JO billets. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

AeroZ

Interest in AMDO

Hi Thisguy, Thanks a lot for your information. The reason I like AMDO because I am bored of being an engineer. I just want to get into the managment side of the house and want to join the NaVY to see the world. I see myself going no where with my current job. I am a hand-on person, but right now CEC is full. They currently commision officer for 2006. I am 28 and I will reach the age limit very soon. At this time, I just want to get into the NAVY with any program.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
AeroZ,

Well, if you want to get into management and see the world, AMDO will do that. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Are you referring to the age limit for CEC? Because I'm pretty sure the limit is 35 for AMDO. Have you spoken to a recruiter yet? If not, he'll probably tell you about Nuke (sub/surface) or EDO (engineering duty officer). But since you sound like you're sick of being an engineer, you'll probably not want to do those.

AeroZ

Questions regard EDO

I didn't know EDO exist until you told me. Wow, I think I like EDO more but I don't think they accept anybody as direct commision. Right now, I just want to get into the NAVY. I don't mind doing management or supply jobs. I have been working as a satellite operations engineer for 3 years. It would be great if I could get in as an EDO. In earlier post I have mentioned that I am bored with engineering because the craps that my management is pulling on me and the other engineers. They told us to work 96 hours/year without pay and they only give 80 hours of vacation. By the way, thanks a lot for all the information.

AeroZ

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You're right, they don't take EDOs directly, because EDOs have to be either sub or SWO qualified. Ask a recruiter about it. Because you can get picked up for EDO with the intention that after 2 years on a small boy, you will earn your SWO pin, and elect the ED option sending you to grad school in either Naval post grad in monterey or MIT. Then you go on to an EDO billet.

robwong1

AeroZ:

What's your engineering degree in? Have you considered the Engineering Duty Officer (EDO) community. They've got some tough thresholds, e.g. 3.5 GPA in select engineering majors. Second shore tour is typically PG school in Monterey, and they encourage officers to obtain PE (Professional Engineering) state licenses. The jobs are very hands-on, especially at Naval Shipyards.

Shipboard, you're treated pretty much like every other URL. When I was MPA of the USS New Orleans, the CO encouraged me to qualify for OOD(F).

Rob

R_mojo1

BDCP-CEC, OCS June 05, 05
Aeroz
but right now CEC is full. They currently commision officer for 2006
are you sure about this? Because what I heard is that they have some slots for 05. I was selected for 05 last year.

AeroZ

EDO and CEC

I have an aerospace engineering degreee but do not have a 3.5 GPA. However, I have working for 3 years as a satellite operations engineer. I would love to be on the testing and development side of the house rather than the operation side. Right now, I just want to join the NAVY to see the world.

About CEC, the LT. in charge of the CEC program in my area earlier told me that they don't have any openning until 2006. However, I just talked to her recently and she said that only apply to recent graduated student. I hope they still have openning for 2005. How hard is it to join CEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.