• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation instructor career path

robav8r

None
Contributor
As your experience grows - I.E., by the time you're a senior LT or LCDR, you'll know enough to actually know what you're talking about, and if you're persuasive, people may listen and be influenced. It should not be a surprise to anyone that recommendations on institutional change from entry level experience isn't going to carry much weight.
@Hair Warrior . . . . This.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Were you a contracted Starbucks barista or the Dunkin' rep?? We had coffee pots in my E-ring office...but that was during the Cold War.
Fantastic! Did you have the classics two-pot Bunn with the glass pots designed for inter-service fighting or the finger-burner tall, steel multi-cup style? I miss the taste of hours old coffee blended in an unwashed pot.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I was checking Wikipedia and stumbled on this naval officer designator:

Limited Duty Officer: 630X Aviator (Aviation) (NOTE: Phased out as of July 2018, per NAVPERS 15839I, Manual of Navy Officer Manpower and Personnel Classifications, Vol. 1, Part A)

Did the Navy ever make use of pilot LDOs? Looks like NAVPERS 15839I phased out this LDO career field part of revamping the naval aviation officer corps in 2018.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I was checking Wikipedia and stumbled on this naval officer designator:

Limited Duty Officer: 630X Aviator (Aviation) (NOTE: Phased out as of July 2018, per NAVPERS 15839I, Manual of Navy Officer Manpower and Personnel Classifications, Vol. 1, Part A)

Did the Navy ever make use of pilot LDOs? Looks like NAVPERS 15839I phased out this LDO career field part of revamping the naval aviation officer corps in 2018.
They did back in the 80’s and 90’s although I don’t how many people took the duty. I had one friend do it, a P3 type. As I recall he knew he would max out as an O4 and could never command. He left the Navy after 12 years or so but all of his time was in the cockpit.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
As I recall he knew he would max out as an O4 and could never command. He left the Navy after 12 years or so but all of his time was in the cockpit.
That was my understanding of LDO, too. Although in IWC, I’m told LDOs max out at O-3 until/unless they earn a bachelors degree. But doesn’t aviation LDO kinda sound like what they’re trying to do with perm instructor pilot? LDO could be the Navy’s version of Army flying warrants.

Then again, the Navy phased out aviation LDO for a reason so there must be some rationale why it wasn’t working/wasn’t needed.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
That was my understanding of LDO, too. Although in IWC, I’m told LDOs max out at O-3 until/unless they earn a bachelors degree. But doesn’t aviation LDO kinda sound like what they’re trying to do with perm instructor pilot? LDO could be the Navy’s version of Army flying warrants.

Then again, the Navy phased out aviation LDO for a reason so there must be some rationale why it wasn’t working/wasn’t needed.

We've also tried flying Warrants several times (3?) and each time has failed, most recently, pretty spectacularly from what I saw. I'd type more but I am going to bed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Been through this. Use the search function if you’d like to review those discussions.