• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Crew PFD Recommendations

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Looking for recommendations for generic aviation crew/pax floation/PFD - that would work in a cabin class General Aviation fixed wing aircraft. Non automatic (manual) inflation via standard commercially available CO2 cartidges.

Need GSA or GPC purchase. An easy button. Light duty.

An example of two that are on my purchase short-list:

Mustang Survival MT-100

1684634248161.png

SWITLIK Aviator Pax/Pilot Vest

1684634416419.png

Any other recommendations?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . don't crash in water where you can't swim to shore? What's the threat here?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
. . . don't crash in water where you can't swim to shore? What's the threat here?

Obviously that's not possible with his day job.

Non automatic (manual) inflation via standard commercially available CO2 cartidges.

I'm not at work to confirm, but I believe we have these:

Switlick Molle

What we do have has the molle webbing and it looks annoying to deal with. We don't wear ours, they just live strapped to the back of the seats, but the other helos that fly over water regularly wear them. Ours have CO2 in them, as well, so I'm guessing these are our models.

The Switlik you posted looks more comfortable to sit in since you don't have a backing. I'd say wear and tear is pretty good, as ours sit in the sun day after day and have held up well. I had to send ours off 6 months ago or so for inspection and they appeared to come back the same, so I don't think much was found to repair other than the bottles. I know ours are a different model, but just offering a snapshot of the quality from the manufacturer.

I'm curious, why not CO2 bottles? Seems like a nice to have in case you're injured in a water crash and can't tread water well to self-inflate.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Chuck, I have two Switlik’s like the second one shown in your post. They are comfortable and easy to store at home or in the hangar. Also, I think @ChuckMK23 is looking for pull activation with CO2 as opposed to a water activated system that might trap you in the cockpit.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Obviously that's not possible with his day job.

I'm not at work to confirm, but I believe we have these:

Switlick Molle

What we do have has the molle webbing and it looks annoying to deal with. We don't wear ours, they just live strapped to the back of the seats, but the other helos that fly over water regularly wear them. Ours have CO2 in them, as well, so I'm guessing these are our models.

The Switlik you posted looks more comfortable to sit in since you don't have a backing. I'd say wear and tear is pretty good, as ours sit in the sun day after day and have held up well. I had to send ours off 6 months ago or so for inspection and they appeared to come back the same, so I don't think much was found to repair other than the bottles. I know ours are a different model, but just offering a snapshot of the quality from the manufacturer.

I'm curious, why not CO2 bottles? Seems like a nice to have in case you're injured in a water crash and can't tread water well to self-inflate.
CO2 bottles are perfectly acceptable, just need to make sure the water activated inflation devices are avoided - lanyard activated is fine! ???

ChuckMK23

pilot
Appreciate the comments and recommendations? Thankfully both vendors are available via GSA - and I assume that would mean our staff NCO and plop down the ol Gov Purchasing Card and go to town. Use case is for ops over Lake Erie and Michigan. Lunch at Put-In-Bay Island ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
There’s a guy at my field who pokes fun at me when I don mine for flights where I fly across the Chesapeake Bay. I asked him if he could make a two mile engine off landing from 500 feet…or even 1000 and it gets him thinking.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
There’s a guy at my field who pokes fun at me when I don mine for flights where I fly across the Chesapeake Bay. I asked him if he could make a two mile engine off landing from 500 feet…or even 1000 and it gets him thinking.

What is the glide ratio of the Griz-o-copter?

We get our some of our oceanic ferry gear from these guys. Manual-pull CO2 inflator example included. There are others.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
What is the glide ratio of the Griz-o-copter?

We get our some of our oceanic ferry gear from these guys. Manual-pull CO2 inflator example included. There are others.

Somewhere in the vicinity of “not too far.” Actually the Enstrom has enough energy to drag out an autorotation but it is still an autorotation!