• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erk183

Hey guys, I know that the Navy gives out Aviation Contracts while you're still in college - from what I understand you apply, get accepted to be an SNA, and report to OCS, followed by flight school etc... My question is do you know if other branches such as the Air Force give out contracts like that? Because I know the AF has certain tests you have to take, but can you compete for a pilot slot with them before you actually get your degree like you can with the Navy? Because if you can't that makes the Navy a hell of a deal.

Meridiani

Yeah, you can get into the Air Force with an aviation slot and go to OTS after college. But you have to ask yourself some questions: was I born in a cockpit? Could I fly before I could drive? Do I have hundreds of hours of flight time? If you answer no, the Air Force is not gonna give you a pilot slot. However, if you have at least two years of school left & your college has an AFROTC detachment, you could get in that way. I'm not sure whether you'll need an ungodly amount of flight time to compete for an aviation slot once you're in ROTC or not. But if you're really serious about flying for the AF, contact a recruiter.

marcurb

hey I could fly before I could drive!

"Be careful out there..." "If I was careful I would have joined the Coast Guard."

Meridiani

Originally posted by marcurb
hey I could fly before I could drive!

Well damn, I guess you're a shoe-in for the Air Force. [:p] But seriously, I actually wasn't trying to slam the ol' AF (well...maybe a little...
icon_smile_wink.gif
), just point out that previous flight experience is MUCH more important for their selection process. So obviously I won't be "crossing into the blue". [:D]

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
I flew before I drove. :D Only by a few solo flights though... but I didn't get my license till I was 17... but had a few intro flights at 13. lol

How do I find out more about the Naval Aviation contract things? I'm quite interested to see what chance I may not have. lol

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

marcurb

i am sooooo glad you people can take a joke...especially you Meridiani... numbnuts!

"Be careful out there..." "If I was careful I would have joined the Coast Guard."

Mike26

It is a lot harder to get a pilot slot through AF OTS, there is just not that many slots, there are however quite a few through AFROTC. Most of the guys I fly with did not have any flight time when they received their slots through ROTC. If you don't have a PPL prior to attending UPT the Air Force will pay for you to get one after you graduate and while you are in whats called casual status.

Schwabenprinz

The Air Force doesn't guarantee pilot slots in AFROTC until your senior year of college, when you are already committed to join. You apply for a pilot slot in your junior year. They have this thing called field training that you attend in the summer between your sophomore and junior year, and this requires you to have a contract. So basically you are trapped wether you get a pilot slot or not. I have a friend who wanted to be a pilot and was told his senior year that he was going to aircraft maintenance instead. I've been an Air Force cadet for two years and this is my last semester in AFROTC, I've applied for a Marine Corps pilot slot cause they will tell you then and there if you are going to be a pilot. I just couldn't wait till my senior year to know whether I was going to fly a plane or a desk. Believe me, the Navy or Marines is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.