• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Contract Injury Hypothetical

Smu2

If someone passes the ASTB etc. and is guarenteed a flight contract, and something happens during TBS or Flight School (like an eye injury where ones vision will never be pilot standard again) where you are not considered physically able to fly planes anymore, what happens? I assume they dont just give you a hand shake and say, "have a good one". Will they reassign you to another job of their choosing? Anyone know the protocol?

Thanks

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This doesnt happen often but it does happen. If the injury is not so severe as to limit your service in any MOS you will be put in the mix for a ground MOS at TBS (possibly rolled a class depending on recovery time) if it happens at Flight School you will be given an MOS the same way the DOR and attrites are given one-NEEDS OF THE CORPS.

Bottomline protect your eyes, guys were given a lot of crap for wearing goggles when I was at TBS but I think a lot of guys have cuaght on, lots of grunts wear eye protection both in combat and in training. So I would hope there is less grief being given.

Smu2

Thank you Skidkid - just one quick follow up question which I assume might be a stupid question: So if are considered a DOR and are put into a position for the needs of the corp, I assume they can't bump you down from being an officer though?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have a reserve commision, at any time you in thoery can be told thanks for playing call the Lucas Group however this doesnt happen much if at all unless you really F something up.

Attrites and NPQs traditionally fair better than DORs when it comes to new MOS (that whole quitter thing) but it is much more of a needs of the Corps thing.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
NPQ = Not Physically Qualified. It's a process that won't happen overnight, and will involve much blood, sweat, tears, and travel.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
...like an eye injury where ones vision will never be pilot standard again....

Just get yourself a pair of Wiley-X sunglasses. They are all pretty cool looking and can stop *almost* anything. Plus, since they are actually issued you can wear them without worrying about getting yelled at (just make certain you get all black). This way, you can pretty much feel good about your eyeballs staying safe.

RyanVR

a lot of the people that are getting npq'd for medical reasons down here in PCOLA are getting a choice as to what they want MOS wise (within limits obviously). I've personally heard of one guy that attrited from IFS and got MPs, another that got ground intel.

However if you DOR or just straight up fail academically, expect little to nothing in terms of choice.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Just get yourself a pair of Wiley-X sunglasses. They are all pretty cool looking and can stop *almost* anything. Plus, since they are actually issued you can wear them without worrying about getting yelled at (just make certain you get all black). This way, you can pretty much feel good about your eyeballs staying safe.

I saw that they also make some some killer goggles. Are those allowed?
http://69.94.104.142/store/media/duty_gear_images/imagescqcw1.gif

snake020

Contributor
You have a reserve commision, at any time you in thoery can be told thanks for playing call the Lucas Group however this doesnt happen much if at all unless you really F something up.

I thought they just changed it that everyone that goes EAD/full time active duty is given a regular commission.