• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation/Commissioning Formula for Rankings (NROTC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I talked to an NROTC guy the other day and asked him his opinion of PLC. He said that if I wanted to go into Aviation I would have a better shot if I went Navy. Is he just trying to get me to go NROTC over PLC, or is there some merit to what he said?
Go talk to the local Marine OSO and see what they have to say about PLC aviation contracts. You gotta talk to both sides, not just listen to what one guy says. What you really need to ask yourself is do you want to be a Marine or go Navy. Research them both, see what each one entails, and then pursue that one that fits you best. Good luck.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I talked to an NROTC guy the other day and asked him his opinion of PLC. He said that if I wanted to go into Aviation I would have a better shot if I went Navy. Is he just trying to get me to go NROTC over PLC, or is there some merit to what he said?

The guy probably doesn't know anything about PLC. But I honestly don't think getting a SNA spot out of NROTC is all that tough. If you do decent on the ASTB and have good grades, you'll be fine.

DoubleNuts

None
NROTC scholarship chances?

Looking for a feel on how competitive my son is for a 4 yr NROTC scholarship

SAT's: 670CR/640M/630WR
GPA: 3.3 in honors and 1 AP course (AP Gov) in a high performing suburban high school
Senior classes: AP English and US Hist, Calculus, Latin IV, Anatomy
Sports: Lacrosse 4 years on varsity, 3 as starter, leading scorer and team MVP as junior. Captain as senior.
Football JV and Varsity. Not a star
Developed and led our student cheering session for varsity basketball. Had to negotiate with school administrators to get it going. Varsity bball coach loves it and him.
Extracurriculars: School paper, peer tutor, youth tutor, freelance photography

Spent 16 of his 17 years around Navy. I just retired last year. Does coming from a Navy family help or hurt.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Looking for a feel on how competitive my son is for a 4 yr NROTC scholarship

SAT's: 670CR/640M/630WR
GPA: 3.3 in honors and 1 AP course (AP Gov) in a high performing suburban high school
Senior classes: AP English and US Hist, Calculus, Latin IV, Anatomy
Sports: Lacrosse 4 years on varsity, 3 as starter, leading scorer and team MVP as junior. Captain as senior.
Football JV and Varsity. Not a star
Developed and led our student cheering session for varsity basketball. Had to negotiate with school administrators to get it going. Varsity bball coach loves it and him.
Extracurriculars: School paper, peer tutor, youth tutor, freelance photography

Spent 16 of his 17 years around Navy. I just retired last year. Does coming from a Navy family help or hurt.

He looks like a pretty good candidate. Lots of good activities on there, and being really good at one (Lacrosse) always looks great. I would think an interviewer might say his grades could be a bit stronger, but there is always something to work on. Keep us posted!

lax311

Could anyone shed some light on my chances for selection?

White Male
GPA: 3.9 unweighted, always taken hardest schedule, 6 AP classes
Class rank: 21/433 (top 5%)
SAT: 620 math/630 CR
Senior schedule: AP Calc, AP Bio, AP Psych, CP Brit Lit, Spanish 4, Criminal Justice
Major: Nuclear engineering
Sports: 2 years jv soccer, 4 years lacrosse (2 varsity), 1 year captain
EC's: Several clubs, treasurer and vp of spanish club, National honor society, couple awards, tutoring, volunteering

Would be a 3rd generation naval officer, my father graduated from ROTC and is a captain. Would this help me at all?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Could anyone shed some light on my chances for selection?

White Male
GPA: 3.9 unweighted, always taken hardest schedule, 6 AP classes
Class rank: 21/433 (top 5%)
SAT: 620 math/630 CR
Senior schedule: AP Calc, AP Bio, AP Psych, CP Brit Lit, Spanish 4, Criminal Justice
Major: Nuclear engineering
Sports: 2 years jv soccer, 4 years lacrosse (2 varsity), 1 year captain
EC's: Several clubs, treasurer and vp of spanish club, National honor society, couple awards, tutoring, volunteering

Would be a 3rd generation naval officer, my father graduated from ROTC and is a captain. Would this help me at all?

You sound like a pretty solid candidate. It's nice to see solid grades and athletic ability, being the captain of the team is also fantastic. Have you filled out an application or conducted any interviews yet?

I can't speak as to whether or not your father's service helps the application. It can't hurt it!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have completed the application but haven't submitted it yet. Had an interview today

As a former NROTC instructor, I'd say he has a really good chance. And he will get an extra 5 points for having a military parent.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Hastings0763

Good evening Sirs! I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time and i came across this thread, so i decided to register. I am looking for a little input as to my chances of getting an NROTC scholarship, and i am hoping Chunks/ea6bflyr (or any other Officer for that matter) can help me a bit.

here is a little information about me

male
GPA: 3.7
SAT: 700 math/670CR
Classes: have taken 5 AP's, 8 honors classes
Sports: 1 year JV baseball, 1 year JV tennis (dislocated knee, tore acl/mcl, cartilage loss in knee prevented me from pursuring this, and spent roughly a year re-habbing, not sure it would matter to add), 2 years Varsity golf
EC's: Intern for Qualcomm Inc., in several clubs, started a Philosophy club and have been president for 2 years, AP Scholar

thanks for your time! :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good evening Sirs! I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time and i came across this thread, so i decided to register. I am looking for a little input as to my chances of getting an NROTC scholarship, and i am hoping Chunks/ea6bflyr (or any other Officer for that matter) can help me a bit.

here is a little information about me

male
GPA: 3.7
SAT: 700 math/670CR
Classes: have taken 5 AP's, 8 honors classes
Sports: 1 year JV baseball, 1 year JV tennis (dislocated knee, tore acl/mcl, cartilage loss in knee prevented me from pursuring this, and spent roughly a year re-habbing, not sure it would matter to add), 2 years Varsity golf
EC's: Intern for Qualcomm Inc., in several clubs, started a Philosophy club and have been president for 2 years, AP Scholar

thanks for your time! :)

Hastings,
Your scores look competitive. What have you done as far as your scholarship package? What schools are you looking to attend?

Your SAT scores are good. You will get additional points on the board for sports & AP classes. The other things that matter are you Letters of Recommendation. Get everything done now.

-ea6bflyr ;)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor threadjack, if you do enter ROTC, just know that "sirs" is not a word, it's "gentlemen" ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
untrue. sirs is always acceptable, if only to see the gaggle of hinges i just sounded off to as sirs and saluted smartly look at each other to make sure they aren't just hearing things... as I truck in the opposite direction.

shifty JO... VANISH :: poof:::

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Minor threadjack, if you do enter ROTC, just know that "sirs" is not a word, it's "gentlemen" ;)

Funny part is that I was going to mention that, BUT since he's still a civillian, I thought I'd let the MOI or AMOI teach him that lesson. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

catieliz235

I have two questions about the NROTC selection:
I finished my application in late September...any estimate about when I can expect to hear from the selection board?
Is there any type of interview before the board after you have completed the application?

Status
Not open for further replies.