• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation availability 2011-2012

efini_kid

I'm not sure where exactly to place this question so mods/admin feel free to move to proper place.

I am currently on track to graduate with my bachelors in fall 11 or spr 12. And would like to apply to OCS after I graduate. I know there is a big back up in the aviation community and as far as my understanding of the situation is that the boards have been shut down or aviation slots are very few and far between presently.

I'm trying to not make this sound like a "what are my chances" question but what do y'all think the availability of slots will look like in 2012? Will the backlog have cleared up by then and will the Navy looking for more sna/snfo types?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
From your bio it sounds like you already have a plan if you don't get picked up. Predicting slots available in the future is a crap shoot at best. My advice to you would be to pursue both OCS and law school...the whole don't put all your eggs in one basket thing. You can't control the slots but you can control the strength of your package. Don't sweat things you can't control.

nugget81

pilot
Start applying now. Look into BDCP and apply there since you have enough time left in school. If you can't do BDCP, ask your recruiter when to start applying for OCS. You don't need to wait until you graduate. Good luck!

efini_kid

haha. nice response monte.

I really was just curious to know if there was a way to tell how things would be, that is why i started this thread.

yea i have a few things in mind if the military doesnt work out. and to be completely honest I am a lil unsure of which branch i want to go into. I am currently enrolled in AFROTC but ive always wanted to be a naval officer. I enrolled to afrotc because my school doesnt offer nrotc and I reallly wanted to see what the military was like, get a sense of bearing per se. I will find out next spring if i make it to field training which would determine if i commission or not into the usaf. idk if this would hurt my chances or not if i later applied to navy ocs having not been selected to usaf field training. all I know is that i want to serve my country in a leadership role and flying would the icing on the cake.

I have actually put the law school plans on hold, i have been looking into a lot of the federal agencies and there seems to be some great opportunities in places like DHS, DEA, ATF, etc. So if the military plans dont pan out I am gonna look into that route. I would like to attend law school at some point just to get a better knowledge of how things work and all the legal speak dealing with contracts and so forth but definitely not the priority at this point.

thanks everyone for the answers. also, sorry for the crappy grammar its 220am haha

jtmedli

pilot
I will find out next spring if i make it to field training which would determine if i commission or not into the usaf. idk if this would hurt my chances or not if i later applied to navy ocs having not been selected to usaf field training. all I know is that i want to serve my country in a leadership role and flying would the icing on the cake.

I was in AFROTC for a short time. Didn't really enjoy it and just knew it wasn't where I needed to be so I got out before any commitments were made. Going to field training (or not going FTM) will not affect your Navy application. The only questions on the app about it will be "Have you ever been in another commissioning source?" or something like that and "Reason for not commissioning through it". All they want to do is to make sure you weren't denied your previous commission because of a medical issue, drug problem, etc... so as long as that's not what keeps from going to field training then you're golden.

81montedriver

pilot
I have actually put the law school plans on hold, i have been looking into a lot of the federal agencies and there seems to be some great opportunities in places like DHS, DEA, ATF, etc. So if the military plans dont pan out I am gonna look into that route. I would like to attend law school at some point just to get a better knowledge of how things work and all the legal speak dealing with contracts and so forth but definitely not the priority at this point.

Just to hit on this point as well, the economy is no different with federal law enforcement. Just like everything else nowadays, they are not hiring very often and when they do it's super competitive. It was the same deal before I came into the Marine Corps and it's the same for my brother who is trying to get into the DEA or USBP. If you so chose to go that route, you would be better off working for some sort of local/state law enforcement first maybe even join some branch of service as a reservist as well to gain some experience and then applying to one of the agencies that you mentioned.

On the other hand, if you did choose to pursue either the Navy or Marine Corps, be prepared for a bit of a culture shock. I know that the Air Force has been trying to implement more "combat training" into their basic training, but it is nothing compared to what you would experience at Marine OCS or NROTC as a Marine option. If you go Navy, you will still be trained by a Marine drill instructor at their OCS. Pick your poison, but it's all good training. Best of luck with your decision.

efini_kid

JT- Yea right now it seems like all we do is march. Not much military training. I hoping that changes once we enter FTP (field training prep). But I have enjoyed it so far, but in the back of my mind I have always wanted to be in the Navy but we will see what happens.

Monte- thanks for your response, they have given me things to think about. I actually met a gs-14 level federal agent who has been a criminal investigator all 13 years of service. he told his background story also, he was army ROTC and commission into the reserves, because he was offered a job in the OIG. so he did that for a while but once he transferred to a different dept they wouldn't allow him to still be in the reserves. So the army transferred his remaining years to the federal govt. With that said, If I do commission into the USAF and do not get a pilots spot, I would prolly go reserve intel and try to do what he did. He said the same thing you did, look into smaller local/ state divisions first but also apply to the big ones. I know I wouldn't wanna go into the Marines, just not crazy enough for that, haha. But if I can get picked up in BDCP or straight OCS for the navy I would go instantly. My only issue with not applying right now is I had a terrible spring semester that killed my GPA. I ended up burning myself out and finished with a 2.3 semester GPA which dropped my overall to a 2.98. I am going to rebound this fall and after my summer classes I know I will be well of 3.0 again. So I will prolly apply next summer. Also I need lose about 20 more lbs to be perfectly within standards.

I am happy that no matter what I have options upon graduation. Hopefully the military will work out but if not I will serve my country one way or another.

fjd24

Flight time is good time...
pilot
Consider the guard dude...it's a good deal for many reasons

Congrats on the selection dude, that's great! Not to hijack the thread but what is the process like applying to the guard? I have similar stats as you and may also like to consider checking it out.

ryan1234

^^
Can you even commission reserve from AFROTC like you can in the Army?

No idea... sure someone on here knows...

Congrats on the selection dude, that's great! Not to hijack the thread but what is the process like applying to the guard? I have similar stats as you and may also like to consider checking it out.

Thanks! It's probably the best feeling ever - I'm still scratching my head... it's a huge privilege ....but right now I'm in the same boat as the pro-recs...in that there are still things that could possibly happen to change things... hopefully not many things

baseops.net and wantscheck.com have some good info about the whole process - each unit has their own deal, but the general aspect is the same. Best way is to just find a bunch of guard units... call them up and ask them if they're having a UPT board (and for all the details) - and then try to go visit.
I don't really know much of anything, but it seems like the guard units are really interested in getting to know you personally... knowing what kind of person you are. Every unit is different, but you need something unique in your package to get you in the door for an interview... after that it's all you.... some units have parties (aka the informal interview) after/before the formal interview. Good luck!

jtmedli

pilot
JT- Yea right now it seems like all we do is march. Not much military training. I hoping that changes once we enter FTP (field training prep). But I have enjoyed it so far, but in the back of my mind I have always wanted to be in the Navy but we will see what happens.

Our FTP was little more than an extension on the Lead. Lab. time but that could be different for you guys. Depends on who's in charge of it really. As far as the marching goes: You'll do a lot of that anywhere you go and being to do it well (calling the cadence correctly and facing movements) will help you out immensely whether at Navy OCS or AF FT. AFROTC was fun for me, but I knew I should be 'somewhere else' so to speak. Don't be afraid to ask around (Cadre, Sr Members of the det, etc..) about what you can do better or how you can be more involved. The commander's ranking plays into a lot of things heavily with AFROTC so him knowing your face and knowing you're g2g will help matters. As always, PT like a madman and get that score above a 90. The AF PFT is easy enough that it can be done. I worked 8 hrs today and then ran a 3 miler after getting off. If you want it then you'll make it happen whether it's Navy OCS or AFROTC.

I have no regrets about the path I took and I'm pumped about heading out to Navy OCS, but that's a decision you need to make for yourself.