• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation at USNA

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Hello,

I am 17 years old, a senior in high school, and I just passed my private pilot checkride in April. I have recieved an appointment to the USNA class of 2011, and my question is this;

I hope to earn a SNA slot out of the academy. I have read about a Naval Academy Flying Club, and other activities at USNA regarding aviation, but how much time is there actually during one's plebe year to fly?

Thanks,
Evan Levesque

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No advice WRT to USNA... Schnugg and others on here probably have some good input.

BUT... congrats on both passing your checkride and gaining an appointment to USNA. It sounds like you are making your goals a reality, still a few hurdles to go, but keep on knocking them down.

John

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Congratulations on your appointment!
Your job during your plebe year is to be a plebe. If you become a member of the flying club you will have a chance to fly, probably not as much as you might like, so that's good training for the rest of your Navy career.
Unless things have changed drastically, you will not be flying during plebe summer, and I would imagine the other guys in the flying club will take care of getting you set up once thats over. (I'll let someone who is currently there and in the flying club speak more to number of hours.)
I hope you enjoy flying and stay with it, but remember you are there to become a Naval Officer first, so take advantage of the opportunities you have to see what else the Navy and Marine Corps do. You will have your chance for flight time.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
During Plebe year....not a whole lot of time to do much of anything. You will have some time off on Saturdays, but not a lot.

http://www.usna.edu/FlyNavy/team.htm, I knew a lot of guys on the team when I was still there. I guess it's not looking too good for it right now though, although that could change. Schnugg might have some better input since he's up there right now.

*edit* Zip beat me to it, but yeah, that link is a good place to start.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I'll get in touch with the people at the flying club website and see what they have to say. I appreciate your input!

Evan

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
I hope you enjoy flying and stay with it, but remember you are there to become a Naval Officer first, so take advantage of the opportunities you have to see what else the Navy and Marine Corps do. You will have your chance for flight time.

Sounds like very good advice, missed it the first read...

Evan

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
It sounds like you are making your goals a reality, still a few hurdles to go, but keep on knocking them down.

John

Kind of like this? :D

mclellan_2503_narrowweb__300x389,0.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The high ropes course featured in the video above was a good time, and a nice break from the crap of plebe summer. How much you are able to fly depends alot on you. The club has pretty good rates for aircraft, but you still have to pay for it. That all depends on your families financial situation. I actually knew a guy that had his own plane. Your company officer and your grades are going to dictate how much of an opportunity you have to fly during plebe year. I had a Marine artillery officer as my company officer that was involved in the club and if a plebe had good grades and no real problems he would make every effort to let him get out and fly quite a bit. He even let guys occasionally go Friday evening and Sunday afternoon. As with anything at the academy and during plebe year, flying will be a time management activity. The time that you spend flying will generally be the time that many of your classmates are at the movies, or hanging out at a sponsor's house etc. Keep in mind that you are going to need some time to decompress and relax every now and then. If flying does that for you then go for it. There will be ample opportunity to fly after plebe year when you have alot more free time. Congrats on your appointment and good luck!

S3b_viking

Ok a couple things about the website first. It's old, really old. The team was disbanded three years ago. There have been efforts to bring it back but we don't have enough funding to do anything but buy pizza for some of the meetings. The "Club" does exist and holds meeting once in a blue moon and is now called the Golden Hawk Aviation Society. PM me if you want more information on the club because I'm a current member and did have some voting voice in what went on.

As for flying Plebe Year, its hard to unless your sponsors are willing to drive you to the airport and come back and pick you up. It's also a little hard trying to do it financially with your whopping $100 a month which pays for 1.1 hours in the old 172's and 0.8 hours in the nice ones. You may not be able to do a lot of flying your plebe year, but your time will free up the more you're there, and your 2/C and 1/C years it'll become a lot easier. If you want info on the clubs around here and places to fly PM me and I'll send you that information too.

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
Congrats, man. I'm impressed at your level of motivation to continue learning to fly but you should make getting to know your classmates and being a good mid your priorities, and in that order too.

You'll have alot more time to fly later, but will never have to opportunity to make first impressions on your peers and superiors ever again. You might get every FAA ticket while at school, but if your grades\performance sucks, you won't be a naval aviator. Use your summers and your upperclass weekends to pursue flying, and I highly reccommend getting your Instrument rating before coming to Primary.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
Sounds like sound advice...thanks, ATLien!

My high school english teacher's husband happened to be a `89 graduate who flew Hornets, and his advice was similiar...work hard at Navy, concentrate on doing my best there, and fly during my upperclass weekends and summer leave as time permits.