• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation and Nautical knowledge for ASTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creslin

Does anyone know a good source for an aspiring Intel officer who knowns NOTHING about aviation and nautical knowledge to start learning? I'm really looking for a book or document that gives me a brief overview of all (or most of) the concepts covered on the ASTB.

All that I've found in the bookstores so far are very in-depth books for aspiring pilots (like 400-500 pages).

Thanks!

Josh

twidget

Deskaholic
You should check out the ASTB forum on this site. There are many topics with advice for studying including study guides posted on top.

Daedalus

Just for your info, I think the only people that have to take the whole test are aviation applicants, so if you are sure you want to go for Intel you might not have to take thoes sections. Although it is a very interesting subject, and doesn't hurt to know.

Creslin

Twidget, I checked them before, but I'll check again (maybe I missed something).

Daedalus, unfortunetly prospective Intel officers do have the take the AQR portion of the test (Aviation and Nautical knowledge and Spatial Apperception) as well as the OAR portion. That's why I'm so desparate to learn it hehe :).

Thanks for the replies though guys!

twidget

Deskaholic
I didn't use them myself since I didn't find this site until I'd already applied
irked_125.gif
. From what I've read though, the study guides are a big help. Here's the link to the file library from where they can be downloaded:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/filelibrary.asp

I used the ARCO study guide, which had a lot of aviation questions and a pretty good section on spatial apperception and many practice problems. Unfortunately, for someone with no aviation background, it didn't go into detail on much. It's mostly to test the knowledge you already have.

For the aviation stuff, I went down to the local Barnes and Noble and picked up "How to Become a Pilot" in paperback for 15 or 20 bucks. It was exactly what I needed, short and sweet (maybe 200 pgs). I ended up with all 7s, which I guess is OK. Unfortunately I was too old for NFO, but I got Crypto at least.
shades_125.gif

I've got no advice for you on the nautical questions because I honestly don't even remember anything about it on the test. I didn't bother studying since I've been a squid for 12 years now. I should have some idea by now.

Good Luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.