• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation and family life

codys995

Hey folks,

Wanted to get some different perspectives based on my current situation. I'm 27, married, and we'd like to have a kid in the near future. She is fully supportive of following me as I pursue my goals in Naval aviation but is worried about some of the unknowns and mainly the inability for our future kid(s) to grow up around family here in our hometown.

To those who have been in a similar situation, how often was your SO/kids able to travel home to visit family while you continued through schooling and onwards? Were holidays possible? We completely understand there will have to be sacrifices but just want to have an idea of what to expect (understanding that mileage may vary).

Appreciate your time if you choose to reply.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's the tale as old as time. You'll miss holidays, your kids will change schools, all of the stuff.

You may only get a long weekend for the holidays. Leave beyond that as a flight student is going to be inconsistent.

Your family members can travel back to your hometown whenever they want to/can afford to.

None of this is new, and it hasn't changed in the last 50 years.

If you're worried about moving around, join the ANG!

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Your kids and spouse can travel to visit family as often as you want to pay for it (assuming your spouse doesn't work outside the home or need to arrange vacation time). When we lived in Japan, it wasn't at all uncommon for some families to decamp and head to the States for a month during the summer deployment schedule. (I won't say "travel home", because to me, home is wherever my spouse and I live, and I think calling something else "home" isn't good or helpful for anyone.)

As for not being around family, meh. I was an Air Force kid. We never lived near my grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, or anyone else. It didn't bother me because no one suggested to me it was wrong or problematic. Those people were like Santa Claus--these amazing people who I didn't see often, but it was all the more special precisely because I didn't see them all the time. To me, that's what grandparents were.

Also, I have relationships with people who are like family to me and that's delightful. This goes back to when I was a kid. Recently, the daughter of someone my parents were stationed with and very friendly with traveled briefly through a city near where my sister lived. We haven't seen these people in probably 35 years, but my sister and I have fond memories of the parents and kids. Their daughter reached out to my sister to get together while she was passing through.

I've celebrated a friend's kids birthday with their family, when we all met in South Africa while we were living in Japan and them in Bahrain. Were those kids sad they didn't have grandma to hug on the birthday? Or thrilled that they were petting a zebra in the backyard of our airbnb? You make sacrifices, but you get some pretty cool shit in return. And that goes for the whole family.

I share that to show you that even if you don't live near blood relatives, your wife and future kids will make connections. I've had Thanksgiving at the home of friends when my spouse was deployed because they were thoughtful enough to include me. My parents included in their Thanksgiving the wife of someone from my husband's command whose spouse was deployed. It may not look like a traditional holiday experience, but it's still pretty cool.

So what to expect? Expect that you will miss holidays with family, and/or celebrate them a week before or after the actual day, when that's the holiday leave block you can get. Yes, that will happen. And you'll miss anniversaries and birthdays (maybe even births) and spelling bees and soccer championships. It's gonna happen sometimes. But also, you will see the magic of Tokyo at Christmas, or fly to Barcelona for Christmas, or spend Christmas in London with friends you know from being stationed in Japan, who live in the Netherlands while you live in Germany, and you meet up with them and their 4 kids in England for the holiday. Is that better or worse than sitting in the family matriarch's living room somewhere in Texas where the kids have been dozens of times, opening gifts? Only you can decide that, but for your kids, the way you frame it will be reality, so just don't talk about it or let your extended family talk about it like it is deprivation or anything negative.

If you focus on being away from "home" and family, you are missing the point. The connections we've made during my husband's Navy time are incredibly special. The connections my family made when I was a kid, during my dad's service, are incredibly special, too. You'll give up some time with extended family (and non-extended family), but you may just find that what you get in exchange is even better. Only you can decide if you want the Norman Rockwell life of every holiday surrounded by cousins and aunts and uncles, or if Thanksgiving turkey for you can happily mean Thanksgiving *in* Turkey while you live in Europe.

It's the tale as old as time. You'll miss holidays, your kids will change schools, all of the stuff.

You may only get a long weekend for the holidays. Leave beyond that as a flight student is going to be inconsistent.

Your family members can travel back to your hometown whenever they want to/can afford to.

None of this is new, and it hasn't changed in the last 50 years.

If you're worried about moving around, join the ANG!
ANG for the win! I'm coming from the ANG to Navy for NFO, trying to get my family prepped. @codys995 im in a similar boat. 29, married, with 2 little kids. The biggest issue right now we are facing is how/when to move them and ensure we get a good house/area and get the kids registered for school. Not to mention trying to iron out renting our house out and have my wife get another job... Things are gonna be wild...

Your kids and spouse can travel to visit family as often as you want to pay for it (assuming your spouse doesn't work outside the home or need to arrange vacation time). When we lived in Japan, it wasn't at all uncommon for some families to decamp and head to the States for a month during the summer deployment schedule. (I won't say "travel home", because to me, home is wherever my spouse and I live, and I think calling something else "home" isn't good or helpful for anyone.)

As for not being around family, meh. I was an Air Force kid. We never lived near my grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, or anyone else. It didn't bother me because no one suggested to me it was wrong or problematic. Those people were like Santa Claus--these amazing people who I didn't see often, but it was all the more special precisely because I didn't see them all the time. To me, that's what grandparents were.

Also, I have relationships with people who are like family to me and that's delightful. This goes back to when I was a kid. Recently, the daughter of someone my parents were stationed with and very friendly with traveled briefly through a city near where my sister lived. We haven't seen these people in probably 35 years, but my sister and I have fond memories of the parents and kids. Their daughter reached out to my sister to get together while she was passing through.

I've celebrated a friend's kids birthday with their family, when we all met in South Africa while we were living in Japan and them in Bahrain. Were those kids sad they didn't have grandma to hug on the birthday? Or thrilled that they were petting a zebra in the backyard of our airbnb? You make sacrifices, but you get some pretty cool shit in return. And that goes for the whole family.

I share that to show you that even if you don't live near blood relatives, your wife and future kids will make connections. I've had Thanksgiving at the home of friends when my spouse was deployed because they were thoughtful enough to include me. My parents included in their Thanksgiving the wife of someone from my husband's command whose spouse was deployed. It may not look like a traditional holiday experience, but it's still pretty cool.

So what to expect? Expect that you will miss holidays with family, and/or celebrate them a week before or after the actual day, when that's the holiday leave block you can get. Yes, that will happen. And you'll miss anniversaries and birthdays (maybe even births) and spelling bees and soccer championships. It's gonna happen sometimes. But also, you will see the magic of Tokyo at Christmas, or fly to Barcelona for Christmas, or spend Christmas in London with friends you know from being stationed in Japan, who live in the Netherlands while you live in Germany, and you meet up with them and their 4 kids in England for the holiday. Is that better or worse than sitting in the family matriarch's living room somewhere in Texas where the kids have been dozens of times, opening gifts? Only you can decide that, but for your kids, the way you frame it will be reality, so just don't talk about it or let your extended family talk about it like it is deprivation or anything negative.

If you focus on being away from "home" and family, you are missing the point. The connections we've made during my husband's Navy time are incredibly special. The connections my family made when I was a kid, during my dad's service, are incredibly special, too. You'll give up some time with extended family (and non-extended family), but you may just find that what you get in exchange is even better. Only you can decide if you want the Norman Rockwell life of every holiday surrounded by cousins and aunts and uncles, or if Thanksgiving turkey for you can happily mean Thanksgiving *in* Turkey while you live in Europe.
Ive gotta get my wife to read this! Thank you!

codys995

Wow. This needs to be pinned for anyone that is thinking about joining the military in general. What an incredible perspective, my wife and I can't thank you enough for those stories and reality checks.

codys995

ANG for the win! I'm coming from the ANG to Navy for NFO, trying to get my family prepped. @codys995 im in a similar boat. 29, married, with 2 little kids. The biggest issue right now we are facing is how/when to move them and ensure we get a good house/area and get the kids registered for school. Not to mention trying to iron out renting our house out and have my wife get another job... Things are gonna be wild...
Glad to hear I'm not the only one, it can certainly feel that way at times as I'm sure you well know!

exNavyOffRec

Hey folks,

Wanted to get some different perspectives based on my current situation. I'm 27, married, and we'd like to have a kid in the near future. She is fully supportive of following me as I pursue my goals in Naval aviation but is worried about some of the unknowns and mainly the inability for our future kid(s) to grow up around family here in our hometown.

To those who have been in a similar situation, how often was your SO/kids able to travel home to visit family while you continued through schooling and onwards? Were holidays possible? We completely understand there will have to be sacrifices but just want to have an idea of what to expect (understanding that mileage may vary).

Appreciate your time if you choose to reply.
You never know how things will work out, I did 23 years and was present for all of my kids births, and never missed a Christmas.

I was fully prepared to miss events like that.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@villanelle is dead-on as usual. Kids adapt and accept their life as normal, even if it's not what's "normal" for most American kids. My Commodore in Bahrain had a large brood and they'd all been OCONUS for all but three years of his career. The only tour the kids unabashedly hated was when he was at Ft Meade; according to them it was "boring."

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@villanelle is dead-on as usual. Kids adapt and accept their life as normal, even if it's not what's "normal" for most American kids. My Commodore in Bahrain had a large brood and they'd all been OCONUS for all but three years of his career. The only tour the kids unabashedly hated was when he was at Ft Meade; according to them it was "boring."
Well….Fort Meade is boring.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I mean I loved Fort Meade but I can see how it wouldn't be fun for kids. Equidistant between DC and Baltimore with great public transit. Ton of concerts and events always going on.

*edit Replied to the wrong post but oh well
Maybe, but these kids had spent their life growing up in places like Hawaii, Guam, the UK, Italy, and Japan. By comparison, Odenton Maryland isn’t exactly going to wow ‘em, public transit or not.

Point is, they enjoyed their idea of a “normal” upbringing and being back Stateside was neither here nor there to them.