• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation and Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

Im new to this message board. Im a Univ. of MD. graduate applying to the Fall OCS class. Im taking the ASTB next week. I originally wanted to go ground, but after talking with my OSO about wishing I could be a pilot, he convinced me to take the ASTB for an NFO slot. The question I have is if anyone knows anything about corrective eye surgery and aviation. First and foremost, I want to be a Marine. But since I was a kid, I've wanted to be a pilot. I just don't know if being an NFO is what I want. I might rather go ground. (This is all under the assumption that I am excepted, which I hope more than anything I am). If anyone knows anything about corrective surgery, being an NFO, or any advice on what I should do, let me know.

flightpup

Just wondering on your background reapergm. ROTC? Just starting out myself here and wondering on your aviation background if any? I'd be all for an NFO slot from what I hear, I'll take whatever I can get!

reapergm

No ROTC. No aviation background. I always dismissed the idea because of my eyes. Like I said, I was going for ground, until the possibility arose.

flightpup

No aviation or ROTC myself, I've got my first appt with my recruiter next week. I've been checking the posts here alot and reading as much as I can, running and working my a$$ off. Not sure about the prospects of even getting an NFO shot, I'm a quick learner and would love to get a shot. Studying for the atsb, and also picked up the arco aviation book. lots to learn...any insights from your OSO as far as spots open, how intense the competition is for NFO??? Anyone else feel free to jump in as you can tell by the name I'm pretty green on all of this so far.

Rayman

reapergm,
The only advice that anybody in this forum can give you is to see an eye doctor. Seek a professional if yours ca still be corrected to 20/20. Alot of people in these forum got in with PRKs done on their eyes.

reapergm

Ive seen an eye doctor. He said I can get full correction with Lasik. Only drawback... My OSO said if I get it done before I sign, I probably wont get in. He said that I have a "chance" at getting it done and paid for by the Marines after I get into OCS. So that a big chance I take if I sign a Air contract and then they tell me after commissioning that I have no shot at ever being a pilot. I don't know enough about being a Naval Flight Officer. As much as I wanna be in a plane, I don't know if I want to be in the backseat.

neo

reaper - i'm like you. i walked into my oso looking to be a ground officer. vision is 20/200 and my dad was in the air side as a marine. he was a radar tech and we were always under the assumption that i could fly. basically my oso told me that the ground side was extremely competetive. not that i couldn't get in, but with the kids in the pipeline and the academy, there wasn't going to be a big need in the near future for ground officers. when he told me about the nfo program i jumped at the chance. i like you didn't know much about being an nfo, but it gives me a great chance to be a marine officer and fly to boot. my oso is a nfo so he helped me out a lot. if u want to be a marine officer then that's a great way to go from what i can gather. i don't care if they put me in a tank or in the backseat of a hornet or prowler i'm just stocked that this is a way for me to get in.

Crowbar

None
I'm not trying to push you one way or the other, but here is what CNATRA has to say about pilot and NFO training. You may already know this, but for pilots the choices are:
CH-46
CH-53
AH-1
UH-1
C-130
AV-8
F/A-18
EA-6B

The only Marine Corps aircraft with NFO's are:
F/A-18
EA-6B

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pilotTraining.htm