• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
Just my two cents:

You will park your car near check-in for the first day, then they'll tell you to move it to the carrier parking lot. Park your car near the carrier, fill it with lots of 'goodies'. You can make trips to your car after the first two weeks or so depending on your class team. It's a long walk but it will seem like nothing after standing on your feet 20 hours a day. It also provides you an hour or so to just sit in your AC'ed car and relax without someone screaming at you. We had a pretty tough class team and they allowed it so I'm sure most of them will. And, while I was there the class team never bothered us while we were out there so no need to really worry about it. Just don't be out there blaring music, driving your car around in circles, being a douchebag, etc

eddieoctane

I've got a few questions about bringing a car up to Newport. If anyone has answers, they'd greatly be appreciated.

Since I'm going up for December 8th, I'm a bit concerned about the snow. If there's a heavy snowfall, will we get the opportunity to clean off/dig out our vehicles instead of letting them sit under feet of snow for days or weeks?

The other thing I'm curious about is what happens if we opt to store a vehicle off-base in a storage locker in town. If I were to take that option, are there any issues bringing the car onto base once we get liberty? Or would I basically be stuck keeping my car off base until I graduate?

WEGL12

VT-28
I've got a few questions about bringing a car up to Newport. If anyone has answers, they'd greatly be appreciated.

Since I'm going up for December 8th, I'm a bit concerned about the snow. If there's a heavy snowfall, will we get the opportunity to clean off/dig out our vehicles instead of letting them sit under feet of snow for days or weeks?

The other thing I'm curious about is what happens if we opt to store a vehicle off-base in a storage locker in town. If I were to take that option, are there any issues bringing the car onto base once we get liberty? Or would I basically be stuck keeping my car off base until I graduate?

I was in Newport during the summer so others may know better than I do. POV runs are becoming very rare. We never got to go to our cars until week 9 resulting in a large portion of the class having car issues. I imagine they aren't going to let you go out there each time it snows to dig out your car when you won't be driving until Candio. So the short answer is don't count on it.

Your second question I have no idea. I don't see why they will stop you from parking it at the carrier once you get to Candio. But you don't get off base liberty until week 10. To me, it defeats the purpose of bring a POV if you are going to keep it off base.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
POV runs are becoming very rare. We never got to go to our cars until week 9 resulting in a large portion of the class having car issues.
That sucks. In all honesty, if that's the case now, I'd just leave the POV at home, and when you head out on liberty, either grab a ride from someone else or call a cab, which then frees you up to drink on the wet liberty. If you really want your POV, you could store it and then go grab it on your first off-base liberty. There are places to park that are closer than the carrier. Just don't park right outside Nimitz.
To me, it defeats the purpose of bring a POV if you are going to keep it off base.
Well, if you drive instead of fly, you can make money on the move, since the mileage and per diem is more than enough to cover expenses, but I think if you fly, they just pay for the ticket. Plus, it'd be easier to bring all the issued gear and uniforms back home.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I imagine they aren't going to let you go out there each time it snows to dig out your car when you won't be driving until Candio. So the short answer is don't count on it.
Having been stationed in Newport during three winters, I can say with great authority that it doesn't get that much snow there. Yes, I know there have been years where it piled on, but that is the exception not the rule. If they even see just a little snow start to build up, they shut the base down.

Now....as for taking your car to OCS, I think it makes about as much sense as someone taking their car to boot camp. Newport is a small town. A taxi will take you anywhere you want/need to go in 10 minutes. And if you happen to go to OCS during the winter, well that sucks for you. There's not much to do anyway. Anything you need is on Thames Street.

rawhide 26

pilot
A heads up for a the pilots out there. They give everyone 4 days to report to Pensacola and day 1 is graduation. So pilots from the west coast might want to drive to Newport to make it easier to get to Pensacola later.

BeLikeMike

Primary!!!
A heads up for a the pilots out there. They give everyone 4 days to report to Pensacola and day 1 is graduation. So pilots from the west coast might want to drive to Newport to make it easier to get to Pensacola later.
No authorized leave days in between?

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
word on the street is you do get leave with the 4 days of travel. but i can't say for sure since I have not graduated yet

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Same for SNFO? Then again, it could all change in a couple months.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Same for SNFO? Then again, it could all change in a couple months.

Yes. All aviation has the same orders. I went in the hole several days for leave before checking into Naval Aviation Schools Command and don't be afraid to do the same. You will gain it back pretty quickly doing all the awesome stuff that A-poolers do (i.e. nothing).

Renegade One

None

Others have answered your question, but I would guess that Newport has several options for "long-term car storage"…the kind of thing where they start your car every week or so…drive it around the lot, and re-park/disconnect the battery, then wash and have ready for pick-up 24 hours after you give them a call. I used one of those places for 2 years when we were in Japan…no worries.

Might be worth the few bucks…or at least an option to consider. When the time comes and you can drive your car…nothing beats HAVING a car to drive.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
^Truth. Two of my fellow officer candidates had dead batteries when we got out to the lot. If your car is a bit old, it's something to think about.

But even if it dies in the lot, you can just get a cab when you go on liberty, and then you get to drink, too, so that solves two problems. In the meantime, the NEX auto care place is down the street from the carrier lot, so they could probably get it going again soon enough.

BigRed389

None
Others have answered your question, but I would guess that Newport has several options for "long-term car storage"…the kind of thing where they start your car every week or so…drive it around the lot, and re-park/disconnect the battery, then wash and have ready for pick-up 24 hours after you give them a call. I used one of those places for 2 years when we were in Japan…no worries.

Might be worth the few bucks…or at least an option to consider. When the time comes and you can drive your car…nothing beats HAVING a car to drive.

I don't know one way or the other, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case. Those storage lots seemed to be built for deployers at the FCAs. Newport doesn't have enough deployers (if any) to justify building a big long term parking lot like the ones at Norfolk.

Longer term car tip, particularly for those going to a community that will have you deploy on a boat. Constant exposure to salt water at waterfront parking will fuck your vehicle up. Think about it before buying something nice.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know one way or the other, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case. Those storage lots seemed to be built for deployers at the FCAs. Newport doesn't have enough deployers (if any) to justify building a big long term parking lot like the ones at Norfolk.

Longer term car tip, particularly for those going to a community that will have you deploy on a boat. Constant exposure to salt water at waterfront parking will fuck your vehicle up. Think about it before buying something nice.

A good example can be seen if you look at any waterfront IMF shop vehicle.

Beefalo

My car's brake rotors rusted while in Newport at OCS. Just cosmetic but annoying. Also someone put a nice $600 dent in my fender without leaving any note. A naval officer will never lie, cheat, or steal so technically this doesnt fall under that but what about honor, courage, commitment?