• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

bdr2489

60R Pilot
pilot
I bought a shiny rust free car 2 months before OCS. After OCS my brakes were completely rusted together. Nothing like giving it full throttle to get the rotors to break free, after the drive to Pcola they were still terrible and I had to change the pads and turn the rotors on all 4. My exhaust system was completely rusted out along with anything else that was exposed and metal. My battery was dead, and my paint is faded and the clear coat is peeling on the roof.

Mind sharing what kind of car this was? You've got me pretty nervous now. Although MasterBates - thanks for calming those nerves a bit. I've got a Ford Taurus, old but I wouldn't put it in the beat to shit category yet... Anyone else with personal experience with POV's at Newport?

boostadikt

VFA-106
Mind sharing what kind of car this was? You've got me pretty nervous now. Although MasterBates - thanks for calming those nerves a bit. I've got a Ford Taurus, old but I wouldn't put it in the beat to shit category yet... Anyone else with personal experience with POV's at Newport?

It's a Lexus, and I'm probably making it sound worse than it is, but I like to keep my stuff nice. The exhaust isn't rusted out to the point with holes in it or anything but the whole thing has an outer color of rust now. The clear coat is peeling in a few spots on the roof, the largest being the size of a baseball. The brakes did bother me quite a bit, and pretty much everyone experienced them rusting together to some degree, they got close to normal after a few hundred miles but they still felt warped so I changed them. However, this is completely avoidable if you just drive back and forth a few times every time you make a POV run. OCS is hell, and I enjoyed having my car there, like people have mentioned I left my phone inside and had lots of candy/soda/iced coffee. Being able to make a few calls, snack and feel normal for 5 minutes will do a lot for your morale, if it is in your means to take a car DO IT!

MasterBates

That sounds like shoddy QC and antocorrosion work on Lexus' part. Because while salt will get to cars eventually, there is no reason for a new car in a maritime climate to be that way in 3 months.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

boostadikt

VFA-106
Yeah maybe, others cars seemed to come out okay. I was also there in the winter months when it is terrifyingly cold and windy, and they don't let you outside except to march to chow or class. Maybe that had some effect. FYI this is where you will be parking: on the water ... try to park on the road side.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Meh, I live in Los Angeles and the idea of driving to Newport is unpleasant. After reading the thread, I feel like I'll just be upset that I'm deciding not to bring it—but that I'm leaving that bitch safe in its garage :D

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure. I think my number one worry is that my 2001 Ford Escape has been a little funny about constantly needing repairs, and I've never driven it further than 20 hours spread out by a few days. I guess I should look into the details of driving (e.g., travel costs and time, and the potential risks to the car).

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
Meh, I live in Los Angeles and the idea of driving to Newport is unpleasant. After reading the thread, I feel like I'll just be upset that I'm deciding not to bring it—but that I'm leaving that bitch safe in its garage :D

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure. I think my number one worry is that my 2001 Ford Escape has been a little funny about constantly needing repairs, and I've never driven it further than 20 hours spread out by a few days. I guess I should look into the details of driving (e.g., travel costs and time, and the potential risks to the car).

You will be forced to drive it anyways when you got to API. Not forced but you get it.

AllYourBass

pilot
You will be forced to drive it anyways when you got to API. Not forced but you get it.

I suppose I've got more reading to do. As long as it doesn't break down to a smoking pile of bolts on the way, I wouldn't mind the drive. I just don't trust it. I guess if I sleep in my car, I can use travel compensation toward repairs :)

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
I suppose I've got more reading to do. As long as it doesn't break down to a smoking pile of bolts on the way, I wouldn't mind the drive. I just don't trust it. I guess if I sleep in my car, I can use travel compensation toward repairs :)

Hey man Im in the same boat. I blew the torque converter in my truck so now I gotta shell out some dough before I go so that I won't have to deal with it on the way to pensacola.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

The Navy will pay your hotel bill, plus mileage plus a daily rate for food and incidentals. Staying in the hotel means the Navy doesn't pay that bill.
When all is said and done, you will not save money by not staying in a hotel. The Navy will reimburse you for the room.
If you stay in your car, with a friend or in a tent, the Navy pays you for the receipts you submit.

AllYourBass

pilot
The Navy will pay your hotel bill, plus mileage plus a daily rate for food and incidentals. Staying in the hotel means the Navy doesn't pay that bill.
When all is said and done, you will not save money by not staying in a hotel. The Navy will reimburse you for the room.
If you stay in your car, with a friend or in a tent, the Navy pays you for the receipts you submit.

I guess that's good. Then I won't be tempted to deprive myself of lodging by putting the bill toward car repairs. Still nervous about the car, but I guess if I was going to keep driving it, I'd have to get it checked out anyway.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Reliable transportation is an expectation as an officer. You get paid decently enough to have wheels that don't suck. You don't need a Vette or something stupid, just basic wheels. "My car broke down" is a useable excuse once. After that you become "that guy" pretty quick. Get your shit in order.

Just my .02

AllYourBass

pilot
Reliable transportation is an expectation as an officer. You get paid decently enough to have wheels that don't suck. You don't need a Vette or something stupid, just basic wheels. "My car broke down" is a useable excuse once. After that you become "that guy" pretty quick. Get your shit in order.

Just my .02

Clearly, and if it makes a ~3,000 mile drive, then it'll make all the petty drives in its future. It's fair to be a little nervous about it when 1.) It's functional, but needs more repairs than I'd like, 2.) I'll have a set, "Don't fucking show up late" date for OCS, and 3.) It'll be an unparalleled distance in a record amount of time for my car.

That said, I'm sure it'll be fine, and I've got an appointment to bring it in tomorrow and thoroughly identify/take care of any issues to make it as painless as possible.

cBoehme

Pro Rec SWO July 2012
Men,

I'm trying to see what the best way to get to Newport would be. Wy wife and I would love to drive out to Newport together before I report to OCS in April. We love road trips and are not too concerned about the long distance drive. We live in Phoenix. What will I be reimbursed? How much per mile? Do they do air miles? What is per diem rate? Do I need to save hotel receipts or do they give you a combined per diem? How many days do they give you to drive out there? We will be driving out there to see the sights and spend some time together before OCS, I'm just trying to find out logistics.

Thanks for the info.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You should get mileage and perdiem for the trip. Days and thus money is based on distance. The route you take is your choice.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Your mileage is based on a mapquest route from your departure location to Newport. If you go out of the way to see something cool, you will not get reimbursed for your mileage.
Keep receipts for hotels and tolls. These are reimbursable expenses.
Make sure you ask the hotel for the gov't rate since that is the maximum the Navy will pay for a hotel.

If you stop in Dallas they Navy will pay the Dallas rate. If you stop 2 hours outside Dallas the Navy will pay you the rate for that location. http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/perdiemCalc.cfm

If you sleep in your car or at a friends, you do not get lodging reimbursement since you don't pay for the night and have no receipt,

Don't stay in roadside crappy motel when you could stay in nicer hotel at the gov't rate. If your hotel is cheaper than the gov't rate you have saved the gov't some money but you do not get the difference.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/travelpay/a/travel.-v1l.htm