• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

magnetfreezer

At least as of a few years ago when I did it, you were given days based of the JFTR and per diem. It's similar for all orders you'll get subsequent. I'm not calling your recruiter a liar, but I don't see why they wouldn't use the JFTR like everyone else. Here's the JFTR as a source document ( http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/travelreg.cfm ) so you have something beyond some dude on the Internet telling you what's up.

JFTR Par 3025:

JFTR also says in another section that, unless POV use is authorized on the orders or deemed more advantageous to the govt (mileage cheaper than airfare), you will only get 1 travel day/travel per diem. Had this issue with a couple guys driving to a 2 month long PME course so they would have cars.

USN1855

Im trying to decided whether to drive from San Jose, CA to Newport. Im SWO so right after OCS I'll go to either San Diego or Norfolk for further training before going to my fleet assignment (or so I'm told). With the chance of 3 months later having to likely make the 3000 mile trip again I'm questioning making the first drive out. My question however is...will the military pay for instate vehicle transportation (aka 18 wheeler) or does the military only transport a vehicle when you are going outside the states (say to Japan)? I have been told both...so I'm wondering if I can get some clarification on the subject. Thanks for the help!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im trying to decided whether to drive from San Jose, CA to Newport. Im SWO so right after OCS I'll go to either San Diego or Norfolk for further training before going to my fleet assignment (or so I'm told). With the chance of 3 months later having to likely make the 3000 mile trip again I'm questioning making the first drive out. My question however is...will the military pay for instate vehicle transportation (aka 18 wheeler) or does the military only transport a vehicle when you are going outside the states (say to Japan)? I have been told both...so I'm wondering if I can get some clarification on the subject. Thanks for the help!
There are a lot more places you could end up than Norfolk or SD. Mayport, Everett, Hawaii or any of the overseas locations come to mind. Having done the cross country drive a number of times, I've always viewed it as an opportunity to discover a part of America that I haven't yet known. I've never been disappointed and always had an amazing time.

exNavyOffRec

There are a lot more places you could end up than Norfolk or SD. Mayport, Everett, Hawaii or any of the overseas locations come to mind. Having done the cross country drive a number of times, I've always viewed it as an opportunity to discover a part of America that I haven't yet known. I've never been disappointed and always had an amazing time.

When I would travel I would allow extra time to see a few places along the way, however I did have limited out of area transfers, when I would go TAD I would also set aside some time to see the local area, I didn't want to say "I have been there, with there being the hotel and/or conference center.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
My question however is...will the military pay for instate vehicle transportation (aka 18 wheeler) or does the military only transport a vehicle when you are going outside the states (say to Japan)? I have been told both...so I'm wondering if I can get some clarification on the subject. Thanks for the help!

There's basically two ways for you to get to your next duty station in CONUS. First is the Navy buys you a plane/bus/train ticket. The second is you pay and the Navy reimburses you. For the second option, the Navy will pay you a certain amount based on miles between point A and point B. (They will also pay you a set amount each day for food and a varied amount for your hotel bills assuming they are at or below the gov't rate).

If you decide to 'drive' and you ship your car on a vehicle transporter, then you need to find another way to get to your next duty station.
I have known guys who shipped their car to California (from FL) and flew out a couple of days later to meet the car.

But to echo Brett's thought, I've enjoyed 6 E-W cross country drives. I recommend getting some audio books of things you've always meant to read but never got around to it for while you're in the car. You local library is a great source of audio books and you can mail them back to the library when you get to your destination.

Then plan your trip to hit some sights. See this great country, drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, see the Grand Canyon... Recommend using the internet to find things to do and you'll find a site like this: http://drivecrosscountry.net/Places_to_see/Places.html

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with Lumpy. My philosophy has always been max National Parks, so I'll typically hit each park for a couple days and camp in the park, then freshen up in hotels on the non-park driving legs. I always seem to meet interesting people in the National Park lodgings that have bars. If the USN1885 is heading out from the bay area, recommend hitting the Grand Canyon North Rim and Zion in southern Utah, then over to HWY 550 in Colorado from Durango through Montrose and Colorado Springs. Buy a good camera if you don't have one and preserve the experience. If you've never been through that kind of landscape, it will transform you in a permanent way... and that's a good thing.

GregGreek

Hey guys, I just found out I will be going to OCS on November 11. I don't have a car and my daily transportation is a motorcycle. I don't have a garage or anything so I wanted to know if Its possible to park it the same way other OCS class members park their cars? Or are they not allowed on base at all? I know how cold it will be as I am from New York, and I know its even colder and probably going to need an ice pic to get it out when I graduate, but its kinda my only simple choice. I can also stash some stuff in it same way the car owners will (albeit will be much less candy=\ than a car) and I have a cover for the rain/snow/seagull bombardments. Crazy I know, but Its only a 3 hour ride away and would make it easier to go to and fro during the holiday break (if there is one). Thanks for the help!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Hey guys, I just found out I will be going to OCS on November 11. I don't have a car and my daily transportation is a motorcycle. I don't have a garage or anything so I wanted to know if Its possible to park it the same way other OCS class members park their cars? Or are they not allowed on base at all? I know how cold it will be as I am from New York, and I know its even colder and probably going to need an ice pic to get it out when I graduate, but its kinda my only simple choice. I can also stash some stuff in it same way the car owners will (albeit will be much less candy=\ than a car) and I have a cover for the rain/snow/seagull bombardments. Crazy I know, but Its only a 3 hour ride away and would make it easier to go to and fro during the holiday break (if there is one). Thanks for the help!

Riding a bike to Newport in November just sounds like a terrible idea. The weather is going to be cold, with a chance of freezing hell on your motorcycle. Also, have you completed the additional training required to ride a motorcycle (safety class. . .etc)? If not, then you wouldn't (technically) be allowed to ride your bike.

Best advice I can give you for right now is to sell the bike (or put it in storage) and get a car that you can drive to Newport, if you want to go that route. Otherwise, let the Navy fly you out to Newport. It's a lot less of a hassle, and you can fly back to your home of record to pack all of your stuff for the drive to your next duty station, wherever that may be.

GregGreek

Riding a bike to Newport in November just sounds like a terrible idea. The weather is going to be cold, with a chance of freezing hell on your motorcycle. Also, have you completed the additional training required to ride a motorcycle (safety class. . .etc)? If not, then you wouldn't (technically) be allowed to ride your bike.

Best advice I can give you for right now is to sell the bike (or put it in storage) and get a car that you can drive to Newport, if you want to go that route. Otherwise, let the Navy fly you out to Newport. It's a lot less of a hassle, and you can fly back to your home of record to pack all of your stuff for the drive to your next duty station, wherever that may be.
I understand its going to be hell, but I can definitely do it, if they allow bikes to be parked there. Which safety classes/training will be needed? Is it something specifically Navy or just having a full unrestricted motorcycle license? I have a New York State motorcycle license, but if a specific class/training is needed for riding if in the Navy or on US Naval bases is required I would gladly do that if possible before OCS. Any info on that? Thank you. Cant wait to begin serving!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I understand its going to be hell, but I can definitely do it, if they allow bikes to be parked there. Which safety classes/training will be needed? Is it something specifically Navy or just having a full unrestricted motorcycle license? I have a New York State motorcycle license, but if a specific class/training is needed for riding if in the Navy or on US Naval bases is required I would gladly do that if possible before OCS. Any info on that? Thank you. Cant wait to begin serving!

Do it at your own peril, but having your own vehicle at OCS is only worth it if it's a car. You will only be allowed on liberty in uniform... a uniform that will be a bitch and a half to wear underneath all the required equipment you need to ride on base. Plus you need to have an approved motorcycle safety course certificate to get on base with a bike, NOT just a license. Plus, not riding a bike very often for 3 months while it sits in freezing temps and gets all sorts of weather dumped on it is WAY worse than a car going through the same.

Just TRUST us.... if you knew what we know being on the inside looking out, you'd just leave your bike in the care of someone who will look after it. It serves you NO utility while you're at OCS. A vehicle, if anything, should be a car that you can store geedunk in, can get you off base in your liberty uniform and can serve as a quiet space for you to restore sanity in for 5-20 minutes when you get a car run, where you can recharge your phone and make phone calls from etc.

GregGreek

Do it at your own peril, but having your own vehicle at OCS is only worth it if it's a car. You will only be allowed on liberty in uniform... a uniform that will be a bitch and a half to wear underneath all the required equipment you need to ride on base. Plus you need to have an approved motorcycle safety course certificate to get on base with a bike, NOT just a license. Plus, not riding a bike very often for 3 months while it sits in freezing temps and gets all sorts of weather dumped on it is WAY worse than a car going through the same.

Just TRUST us.... if you knew what we know being on the inside looking out, you'd just leave your bike in the care of someone who will look after it. It serves you NO utility while you're at OCS. A vehicle, if anything, should be a car that you can store geedunk in, can get you off base in your liberty uniform and can serve as a quiet space for you to restore sanity in for 5-20 minutes when you get a car run, where you can recharge your phone and make phone calls from etc.
Ok, will take the advice and suck it up. Il get a ride up and get dropped off. Thanks for the heads up guys!

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
unhook your battery or that bitch will be dead. happened to half my classmates that went POV.

bd2575

1180 FS 06JAN2013
You guys talk about cars getting messed up - snow/ice, seagulls dropping shells/rocks, dead batteries, etc.
How big of an issue is this, really? Enough to recommend bringing a cover for your car, or bringing an old beater if you have access to one?

boostadikt

VFA-106
You guys talk about cars getting messed up - snow/ice, seagulls dropping shells/rocks, dead batteries, etc.
How big of an issue is this, really? Enough to recommend bringing a cover for your car, or bringing an old beater if you have access to one?

I bought a shiny rust free car 2 months before OCS. After OCS my brakes were completely rusted together. Nothing like giving it full throttle to get the rotors to break free, after the drive to Pcola they were still terrible and I had to change the pads and turn the rotors on all 4. My exhaust system was completely rusted out along with anything else that was exposed and metal. My battery was dead, and my paint is faded and the clear coat is peeling on the roof.

You can take a car cover but it is windy as hell in Newport in the winter, get a cover that has metal rings built in that you can tie rope from side to side underneath the car. You will get a few POV runs, make sure to let your car run for 5-10 minutes and pull back and forth a number of times while riding the brakes to clear the rust. Also my advice would be to bring some towels and cleaner to wipe off bird crap and salt spots if you have time.

MasterBates

What sort of shit car fucked up like that.

I would leave my beat to shit used truck parked for 7 months plus, and it would start right up, and no brake issues. Parked less than 50 yards from the seawall.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2