• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
I drove. I went to OCS in March of '09...so unless it's recent and someone fucked it away for everyone, I don't see why you can't.
Thank you, I'm sure we still can but my processor is just unsure, checked the OCS website and says we can so we'll see

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Just graduated a few weeks ago - driving is still allowed and done by about half of the candidates. If you are planning on driving, just remember that your car will a) have tons of shells and rocks dropped on it by seagulls and b) most likely be buried under some snow for the duration of the RI winter.

staff03

I'll be driving to OCS in September and will be staying in NYC for a night. I've been there a couple of times before but never driven into it. Does anyone recommend a place to stay that's easy to drive to, or is it all fairly easy to access?

I'll be driving to OCS in September and will be staying in NYC for a night. I've been there a couple of times before but never driven into it. Does anyone recommend a place to stay that's easy to drive to, or is it all fairly easy to access?

I don't know if you are a civilian right now or not, or even what the policy is regarding civilians reporting for military duty, but a decent place would be the Nave Gateway located on base. It is used for service members with orders or for leisure purposes. I am staying there for the two nights before reporting to OCS. Just an idea.

texag2010

I don't know if you are a civilian right now or not, or even what the policy is regarding civilians reporting for military duty, but a decent place would be the Nave Gateway located on base. It is used for service members with orders or for leisure purposes. I am staying there for the two nights before reporting to OCS. Just an idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpreted his post as asking about staying a night in NYC. (About which I have no idea, the closest I've ever been to NYC was when I was at Watkins Glen.)

staff03

Thanks OCShopeful, I'll definitely consider staying there in Newport. As texag pointed out, I am looking for NYC options but I appreciate any input on where to stay/things to see on the drive from TX.

texag2010

Thanks OCShopeful, I'll definitely consider staying there in Newport. As texag pointed out, I am looking for NYC options but I appreciate any input on where to stay/things to see on the drive from TX.
Whoa, didn't realize you were in College Station till I checked your profile. Nashville's fun for a night and would be about 13 hours coming out of College Station. You can get a hotel near downtown for a reasonable price and go catch some good music at the bars.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Nowhere in "The Big Apple" is easy to drive to...easy to access! While enjoying the sights/clubbin' there, stash your ride in a secure garage & use public transit/taxi to get around - cheap & speedy. Casual legal parking is virtually non-existent & parking citation fines require 3-year bank loan financing!:eek:
BzB

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Side note, when does one actually receive the per diem pay for the driving expenses. Is this added into your regular paycheck (aka won't get it as you're traveling, but later on) ?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You'll complete a travel claim as part of your in processing paperwork. It will get direct deposited a bit after that.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Got off the phone with someone from my NRD who is handling my orders to OCS. When asking about per diem, he said that enroute to OCS, you only get one day of per diem even if you drive, regardless of distance. His explanation was that even though you are driving, you could fly and get there in one day regardless.

Anyone else heard the same thing? I was under the impression I got the same per diem pay as anyone else in the military, but apparently enroute to OCS this doesn't apply?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
At least as of a few years ago when I did it, you were given days based of the JFTR and per diem. It's similar for all orders you'll get subsequent. I'm not calling your recruiter a liar, but I don't see why they wouldn't use the JFTR like everyone else. Here's the JFTR as a source document ( http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/travelreg.cfm ) so you have something beyond some dude on the Internet telling you what's up.

JFTR Par 3025:
1. TDY. Generally, 1 travel day is allowed for each 400 miles of official distance of ordered travel. If the excess distance is 1 or more miles after dividing the total official distance by 400, one additional travel day is allowed. When the total official distance is 400 or fewer miles, 1 day of travel time is allowed.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
At least as of a few years ago when I did it, you were given days based of the JFTR and per diem. It's similar for all orders you'll get subsequent. I'm not calling your recruiter a liar, but I don't see why they wouldn't use the JFTR like everyone else. Here's the JFTR as a source document ( http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/travelreg.cfm ) so you have something beyond some dude on the Internet telling you what's up.

JFTR Par 3025:

It wasn't my recruiter who I spoke with it's the guy who gave me my orders. I think what he was saying was that the JFTR does not apply to OCS candidates until you have earned your commission (or something of the like).