• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto rotation from Hawaii

GroundPounder

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Absolutely wild footage, this is a real world engine failure in a MD500 (Think Magnum P.I. helicopter) over Kauai, Hawaii out on a tour flight. <br><br>You’ll probably have to watch this a few times but the video starts out with the helicopter under power and then the engine sound goes… <a href="https://t.co/tFVGhqypzx">pic.twitter.com/tFVGhqypzx</a></p>&mdash; Thenewarea51 (@thenewarea51) <a href=" ">March 6, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As I've never been anything other than a helicopter passenger, I shouldn't offer any comment on how well the pilot in this case did. It seems like he did well, though.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Impressive! That pilot nailed it. Wonder what happened with the engine? Seems like it went out abruptly- fuel starvation?

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Impressive! That pilot nailed it. Wonder what happened with the engine? Seems like it went out abruptly- fuel starvation?
Possibly, but in my fuel exhaustion experience (all on deck and part of an FCF/ planned maintenance evolution) it’s a little more gradual. My guess is a sudden failure of some dynamic component but in due time I’m sure we will know. Well done to the pilot and an incredible training video for the rest of us to enjoy and learn from..

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is about 10 miles from my house. It's tough to truly appreciate how rugged this terrain is, and that little strip of beach is a lot smaller that it appears. Kauai has a tremendous volume of tour helo traffic, and we seem to lose one every few years. These folks were lucky to walk away.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This is about 10 miles from my house. It's tough to truly appreciate how rugged this terrain is, and that little strip of beach is a lot smaller that it appears. Kauai has a tremendous volume of tour helo traffic, and we seem to lose one every few years. These folks were lucky to walk away.
As a former helo pilot, I still hated to ride in the back. I at least wanted to be hooked into iCS. Hence, I will never do a HI or Grand Canyon helo tour, without them allowing me to do a thorough logbook and NATOPS jacket examination. 😄

Kudos to this dude for handling this emergency successfully, it appears. Looks like not a lot of good options in front of him/her.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

That aircraft was lucky to take off, considering the size and weight of that pilot’s cajones.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That looked pretty damn good. You can hear (and see with the shutter speed) how long it takes him to get the turns back, too. Obviously it's tough to tell from the camera moving back and forth, but it looks like he started the flare a little early, probably because he saw the terrain on one side and the rock to the other and was trying to make it more vertical. I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other hadn't been there, it would have stayed upright.