• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto ejection?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you want AGCAS or a reliable OBOGS, or GCUs and brakes in the supply system? You can't have everything. You act as though the services have unlimited resources. What are your priorities?

Gotta call bullshit here Brett. There is absolutely NO reason we can't have a reliable breathing system AND a system that will save lives (AGCAS). That comment is a cop out from higher ups. The loss of 1 jet would have paid for AGCAS software testing and implementation. We can afford magic carpet, a nice to have software upgrade but not AGCAS, yeah a software upgrade? How is it the AF can see this and implement it YEARs ago now, but we keep fucking it away? I am so tired of that lame excuse of you can't have it all. I'm not asking for it all, I'm asking for shit that will save lives and equipment. And if we used our resources correctly and could move pots of money around, there wouldn't be as big of a problem. Oh, shit end of fiscal year, gotta use that money, gotta burn those flight hours, can't turn it back in or we will get less next year. That is the stupid ass logic we use still. Unfucking believable.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Let's implement stupid fucking rules that will save $.05 now but cost us $100 in a year. This is the current state of DOD acquisitions. And to answer your question, we have none of the things you quoted. No working OBOGs, AGCAS, GCU fixes or parts availability. Explain that one.

Last edited:

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
And until we demand more from our leadership, we will continue this stupid cycle and ignorant comments about why we can't "have it all". There comes a point when someone has to stand up and say, sorry sir, we can't get there from here. But no one has the balls to say it. We gotta turn those boxes green, regardless. Everyone is afraid of losing their next job instead of doing or saying what's right.

End rant.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't shoot the messenger. Sure, it would be great if we could have every part we need and all the systems we might want to keep us safe. That's not the reality we live in, and it's not a realistic expectation to place on our leadership. BTW, where was AGCAS on the NARG? If the community isn't even asking for it, then we don't really have a leg to stand on.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Brett,
Most guys in the community have zero clue what AGCAS is or what it can do. I talked to my squadron about it and that was the first time 99% of them heard about it. And it was brought to leadership a few years ago and a certain admiral said "that's to big brother" and "nobody want a computer to take over". Those comments show someone seriously detached from the reality of our current environment.

And I do expect our leadership to say and do what needs to be said and done, even if it's not popular. Like I said, there are to many leaders worrying about what's next for me instead of what's right for those that I lead.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leadership can say and do all it wants to get any new capability, but unless there's money allocated for it by Congress, then it's not going to happen. It's not a matter of what is it isn't popular or career enhancing for a Flag Officer. The fact that you keep saying that makes me question whether you really understand the environment we're working in. Difficult choices have to be made. If you want a change, then vote for different people in Congress.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Or how about our Flags (CNO, JCS) say, sorry sir we can't get it done with the level of funding we are given. You can't squeez blood from a turnip. Most in congress know the DOD needs a funding increase. However, when we "get it done", with our current funding levels, some make the argument that the DOD doesn't need an increase. It's going to take someone saying sorry sir, we just can't do this, before we will see a change. Kinda like the T45 IPs with their chain of command. At some point the op tempo has to slow down to match the decrease funding levels. If it doesn't, or funding is drastically increased, the machine is just going to grind to a halt.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
When it comes to ninja gear, not getting one’s wishlist is reasonable. On many safety of flight equipment issues, the military is penny wise and pound foolish. When 1 mishap would have paid for outfitting the whole fleet, it’s almost fiscally negligent NOT to get certain gear.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Or we could stop buying $300 hammers from a 5 person company in Nebraska because it "supports American small business." There are so many problems, its hard to know what to complain about/ lobby to change first. Its like the Titanic hit 6 icebergs simultaneously. I'm not sure which compartment we should do damage control on first, but I know we shouldn't worry about polishing the brass in the main ballroom upstairs (social initiatives, green energy, community relations).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Or we could stop buying $300 hammers from a 5 person company in Nebraska because it "supports American small business."

TINS- a certain UAS company couldn't meet delivery timeline because their only dude who knew how to TIG weld quit, and they didn't have any idea of the process. So they hire new guy who doesn't really know what he's doing and does a complete amatuer job that won't pass any type of QA inspection. But hey, let's give them millions more...

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Supposedly the Russian Yak-38 Forger (Harrier-skiivitch!) would auto eject when the aircraft rolled past a certain point, which I'd imagine to be when hovering.