• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto Carrier Landings?

MasterBates

YEah, yeah, I know, they are "hookers" I'm just a helo guy in the boards eyes.

Not all of us (in fact, very few of us) who got wings out of the HTs were "bottomfeeders". Many of the "he sucks, send him to helos" types did not make it past hovering.

I understand that for the S3 guys, its a safer bet, they just need to go to the RAG. I need 75% of Jet Advanced and the RAG, and my ablity to land FW on the boat is unproven.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
YEah, yeah, I know, they are "hookers" I'm just a helo guy in the boards eyes. .....I understand that for the S3 guys, its a safer bet, they just need to go to the RAG. I need 75% of Jet Advanced and the RAG, and my ablity to land FW on the boat is unproven.

Right or wrong ... there you go.

For what it's worth ... I got @ 50 +/- hours in a Bell 206 ... as a D.O for a Part 135 operation out of Dallas .... the flying was a piece of cake ... hovering and landings, however, were another world. I landed on a couple of our rigs in the Gulfo de Mexico ... it was a "challenge" to say the least.

Helos ... a different kind of flying, to be sure. Most fixed wing drivers don't "get" it ....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
YEah, yeah, I know, they are "hookers" I'm just a helo guy in the boards eyes.

Not all of us (in fact, very few of us) who got wings out of the HTs were "bottomfeeders". Many of the "he sucks, send him to helos" types did not make it past hovering.

I understand that for the S3 guys, its a safer bet, they just need to go to the RAG. I need 75% of Jet Advanced and the RAG, and my ablity to land FW on the boat is unproven.

Yeah, that plus the difference between voluntary and involuntary transition. Besides, what makes you think that you'll be any less likely to screw up your career in a new platform? ;)

Brett

Beefalo

Hey guys im an ET that holds the SPN-46 NEC and been on a deployment and some change.

We do daily checks on the 46 after flight ops to make sure it is within tolerance. We have a beacon box that is identical to the the ACLS box in your planes. We lock onto it at a specific location on the boat. Since we know the exact distance from the radar pedestal to the beacon box we can tell if its within tolerance or not by reading what the 46 reads to the pre-recorded values. The tolerance values can vary but are very tight. If something is discovered to be out of tolerance we can usually adjust it so it reads exactly what the actual distance is.

The 46 gets inputs from almost all the ships navigation gyros, GPS, and a seperate inertial navigation unit that is identical to what Mode I equipped planes carry. The "brain" of the 46 carries pre-loaded tolerance values for each type of mode 1 plane i.e. hornet, prowler, etc.

During a mode I if any of the tolerances for that type of plane go out of value an automatic wave-off will occur. In short a well maintained, ALIGNED, 46 will usually trap on the same wire at least in my experience.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good gouge. Now how about AACS? I've seen that off course many times. I realize it doesn't account for a lot of those variables, but on several occasions lineup was pretty skewed. Any idea why that would occur?

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Guys-
Here's the scoop on Mode 1's: No limits on it's usage...system will compensate for heave, roll and pitch of the ship and if exceedance tolerance is detected, a command to "waveoff" will be automatically passed to the aircraft.
My experience with Mode 1 is that the aircraft will literally land in exactly the same spot every time. Only time the system fails (re: bolters or drops you off 'short') is generally due to some pilot input/help to the pass.
Last thing, when system was being tested during OPEVAL, ship's deck developed an 8" x 8" square of missing non-skid from the hook point.....very impressive!
Cheers!!!