• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Australia requests authority to purchase 24 more Super Hornets

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
There are definitely big motors out there though. Hopefully if the Australians get the full up versions, we'll start getting them as well.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Yes. There was one exotic load out that failed in testing so they came up with the idea of canting the barn doors into the wind.

When I heard about this pylon deal I about fell out of my chair...I mean all these whiz-bang computers we've got now and this wasn't figured out before hand?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
"Big Motors" actually refers to a FADEC upgrade for the -414 motor that "unlocks" additional thrust by changing some of the engine parameters.

As for the pylons, there were several solutions that were proposed. Go figure, the 3 degree cant was based on cost and design maturity at the time. When they figured out the angled pylons weren't actually needed for most loadouts, the design had already been made.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
"Big Motors" actually refers to a FADEC upgrade for the -414 motor that "unlocks" additional thrust by changing some of the engine parameters.

Which will indefinitely change maintenance req's with higher output as well. More power = broken/worn parts faster. Certainly a concern that I'm sure has been addressed by GE... I can think of 2 other motors here in civvy land where they 'turned up the volume' and it led to numerous failures all over the place, but I digress.

I wonder what straight pylons alone would do for that jet? That right there is free horsepower.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are definitely big motors out there though. Hopefully if the Australians get the full up versions, we'll start getting them as well.

If I heard the story correctly, we got EPE after the Swiss funded it, so maybe the same will carry forth for the Rhino dudes?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

As for the pylons, there were several solutions that were proposed. Go figure, the 3 degree cant was based on cost and design maturity at the time. When they figured out the angled pylons weren't actually needed for most loadouts, the design had already been made.

How you liking the dual qual?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Let us all pray that Boeing is signing up the Canadians even as we "speak" here. Transitioning from "A" models to E/F Super Hornets would be operationally easy for them as well as financially much less expensive than F-35s. Apparently, the Canadians CNX'ed their order for 65 F-35s last week.

AFUAW

pilot

The EPE F-414 engines would have a new core and fan, not just a FADEC upgrade. But they'll almost certainly never be built so it doesn't really matter.

Go figure, the 3 degree cant was based on cost and design maturity at the time.

It's actually a 4 degree cant.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The EPE F-414 engines would have a new core and fan, not just a FADEC upgrade. But they'll almost certainly never be built so it doesn't really matter.

Mwahahahaha.

Good...good...let the minutia flow through you!

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
If I heard the story correctly, we got EPE after the Swiss funded it, so maybe the same will carry forth for the Rhino dudes?

Kuwait funded the F404-402 EPE engine. The primary structural enhancement for the Swiss Hornets was the incorporation of titanium vice aluminum wing carry-through bulkheads (Y453, Y470.5, and Y488) in the center barrel structure. This enhancement was the key enabler for rating the aircraft to 9.0G vice 7.5G.

The upgraded F414 is designed, tested, and priced by GE. There are two modes...enhanced performance, or enhanced endurance. The primary selling point for the budgeteers is enhanced endurance.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

I was pretty sure the EPE 414 was more than just an FADEC upgrade, but what do I know. I was obviously wrong, as I was corrected. I didn't care enough to correct the 3 degrees to 4.
There are plenty of articles around that praise the EPE motors and what the additional thrust brings us. A man can dream can't he?