• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Primary Alternate and Alternate SNA selects

siuc_avi

FS SNA - 15 APRIL 2012
Secondary Alternate
M/23
6/7/6 – 50
B.S. – Aviation Management 3.4

Certificates - C.F.I. & Commercial
Instrument Rated
Total Hours – 250
Active with Community Service & Alpha Eta Rho (International Aviation Fraternity)

Interview- 0-4

I would like to congratulate everyone who was professionally recommended for a pilot slot. It is my dream to be a Naval Aviator; I look forward to serving with all of you! I am actually excited about being an alternate; hopefully it will allow me enough time to finish my Masters Degree in Public Administration, but still at the same time I can’t wait to start the journey as a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Navy. Next Thursday I will attend MEPS and cross my fingers I will still be able to attend OCS in FY 12!
Thank you to everyone who has been asking good questions on the forums and the individuals who have been answering them. I will meet with my OR during this week and hopefully obtain some answers to the grey area questions about being a secondary alternate. Then I will proceed to post anything that may help anyone else as well.
Best,

ryan1234

Found this someone posted for the Air Force early this year..

PILOT (92T0)
RATED ACCESSIONS BY YEAR
YEAR USAFA ROTC OTS AD
FY10 524 524 50 40
FY11 500 500 90 45
FY12 505 505 119 45
FY13 520 520 120 50
FY14 560 560 130 50
FY15 560 560 130 50

Is the Navy about the same as this? Also, does anybody know exactly how many boards were held this year for FY12 and how many slots already given out? Looked like about 85 slots (pro recs, not alternates) were given for August's board.

For the OTS FY12 Board....Here is how it broke down:

119 Pilot Selects
148 CSO Selects (kinda like an NFO)
45 ABM Selects (Air Battle Manager)
33 RPA Selects (UAV types)

aodell

TW-2
I not sure if anyone else is still a bit fuzzy on the secondary alternate thing as I am. The thing I'm not sure about is how the FY13 aspect plays into the whole alternate thing. I understand the primary alternates are for FY12, and that makes sense, but are the secondary alternates going to get dates for FY13? How does that work, I thought the boards that would be held this FY were to fill the upcoming year. I guess I am just confused as to how we would get FY13 slots when the boards in the upcoming FY should be filling those slots. Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Don't forget that millsra answered that question when I posed it over in the August Board forum. This is what he said:

Primary Alternate means you are an alternate for FY12 Quotas, secondary alternate means you are an alternate for FY13 Quotas. I know absolutely nothing more about it, but I'm not suprised your recruiter didn't know about it. I just found out and I've been in recruiting for 2 years.(The OCS processor didn't know what it meant either, which was why the fleet results were delayed an hour; he thought it was a mistake to have two alternate lists)

I presume you all have seen it, but just in case you haven't, there it is. Should clear something up, although I definitely still have questions I'm trying to get answered. For example, I want to know if all of the primary alternates say "no", do we get called for FY12 slots? ;)

I like to dream...

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
anyone else here anticipating needing/getting a waiver for medical? I know I have acid reflux I will most likely need a waiver for and inhaler usage I was prescribed once for a bad cold.. But I had gotten a pulminary function test to prove no issues with respitory.. Anyone else?

shutout39

pilot
anyone else here anticipating needing/getting a waiver for medical? I know I have acid reflux I will most likely need a waiver for and inhaler usage I was prescribed once for a bad cold.. But I had gotten a pulminary function test to prove no issues with respitory.. Anyone else?

Do they really dig that deep? I was given an inhaler once for a cold too - I never even thought to put that down since it wasn't asthma or bronchitis. I never even used the damn thing because it didn't do anything to help. I think it was precautionary if anything. Holy shnikeys I underestimated the med process if thats the case. Balls.

BrandonCl

I had asthma when i was younger (younger than 10) and providing paperwork from a passed pulmonary function test was enough to get that waiver. You recruiter/NRD will handle acquiring the waiver and if additional paperwork/tests are needed they will let you know. For me it was a fairly short and painless process.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Do they really dig that deep? I was given an inhaler once for a cold too - I never even thought to put that down since it wasn't asthma or bronchitis. I never even used the damn thing because it didn't do anything to help. I think it was precautionary if anything. Holy shnikeys I underestimated the med process if thats the case. Balls.
The question is still on there.. have you ever used an inhaler, not if you have ever had asthma ;)

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I had asthma when i was younger (younger than 10) and providing paperwork from a passed pulmonary function test was enough to get that waiver. You recruiter/NRD will handle acquiring the waiver and if additional paperwork/tests are needed they will let you know. For me it was a fairly short and painless process.
how long did it take to get that waiver?

BrandonCl

how long did it take to get that waiver?

Just a couple of weeks. My OR sent up my medical stuff to MEPS for a pre-eval, which led to a permanent DQ. My OR then sent up the request for waiver to Millington, TN where they approved the waiver request. This all happened before I even went to MEPS for my actual physical.

T

Triangles

Secondary Alternate
M/23
6/7/6 – 50
B.S. – Aviation Management 3.4
Certificates - C.F.I. & Commercial
Instrument Rated
Total Hours – 250
Active with Community Service & Alpha Eta Rho (International Aviation Fraternity)
Interview- 0-4

I would like to congratulate everyone who was professionally recommended for a pilot slot. It is my dream to be a Naval Aviator; I look forward to serving with all of you! I am actually excited about being an alternate; hopefully it will allow me enough time to finish my Masters Degree in Public Administration, but still at the same time I can’t wait to start the journey as a Commissioned Officer in the U.S. Navy. Next Thursday I will attend MEPS and cross my fingers I will still be able to attend OCS in FY 12!
Thank you to everyone who has been asking good questions on the forums and the individuals who have been answering them. I will meet with my OR during this week and hopefully obtain some answers to the grey area questions about being a secondary alternate. Then I will proceed to post anything that may help anyone else as well.
Best,

Great attitude to have! Sounds like you have your stuff straight!! Hope you get in!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
So is a prt part of the requiremets with meps for us alternates? Or how is this working.. My recruiter hasn't told me anything about a prt and I heard no prts until OCS.. but now I'm hearing they are back on.. but optional for some NRD's// whats the word on the street about PRT from the rest of you?

aodell

TW-2
So is a prt part of the requiremets with meps for us alternates? Or how is this working.. My recruiter hasn't told me anything about a prt and I heard no prts until OCS.. but now I'm hearing they are back on.. but optional for some NRD's// whats the word on the street about PRT from the rest of you?

I was told a couple of months ago, before I knew board results, that my PRT wouldn't take place until 30 days before OCS. I presume that's still true as I haven't heard otherwise.