• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Primary Alternate and Alternate SNA selects

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I figured instead of cluttering up the August 2011 board results thread I would start a new thread to keep the alternate selects and updates in order.

I know how the alternates work now, but for people who have been through this before, how does the ranking system work? What is usually the selection rate for alternates?

I was reading the Air Force's side of things and from what I could see on baseops.net there was a list of 75 people on their alternates in 2009 for rotc and one guy got selected who wasn't even on the list.

I counted 28 Primary alternate selects and 24 alternates.

If you get selected for a slot and were an alternate, please post it here so we can track the progress for others in the future or currently inquiring this process.

shutout39

pilot
I just found out I am a Primary Alternate. I already have MEPS and SF-86 done, the only problem is I am only 2 months post-op for LASIK. My recruiter was the one telling SNA applicants NOT to get surgery if we were outside of regs! He said the Navy pays for it once you are pro-recd and civilian docs are automatic DQ...I'm not here to point fingers- the good thing is I found the right gouge here and got the surgery done as soon as I could scrap up the dough. Also, my civilian docs told me I was 20/30 and 20/40- while MEPS said 20/60 in both. I wonder if I could send in paperwork showing that I had met vision requirements before hand- would that help me get a FS? I can always worry about the LASIK waiver later.

Honestly, I thought we would have more time after the results to get all the paperwork done. By October 24 I will only be 4 months post op. The LASIK in aviation program states minimum 3 months required for the waiver, but guys on here had to wait the full 6 from what I gathered. Shit, I'll drive to every flight doc in the country and beg if I have to! I swallowed my pride a longggg time ago. Any advice on this one?

Its going to be an unknown road from here on out for us alternates. In the meantime, should we be improving our packages for a reapply?

boostadikt

VFA-106
This is what I posted in the August 2011 thread. I figure maybe some of my questions will be better suited here.

selected SNA secondary alternate

7/7/7/60
3.2 GPA in Aerospace engineering, Math minor/ 3.73 engineering GPA

Anyway I'm trying to figure this all out, based on whats posted above it sounds to me like the Navy doesn't have any Idea what their FY12 quotas will actually be, so they selected 85 to be safe, the primary alternates will be selected as the quota exceeds 85, and then once it has exhausted the extra 28 off the primary list, the secondary alternates will be pulled on a "First come first serve basis." Can anyone clarify exactly what that means? It sounds to me like they don't want to hold another board until their FY13 quota. Also does anyone know what the FY11 quota was so we can get a feel for numbers here? And lastly It said that "Naval Recruiting Command must receive all final selection documentation by 24OCT11." Seeing as how FY12 starts October 1st are they planning on having the quota all figured out and filled by the 24th? After that are the alternates declared null and if they need more we re-apply?

Based on the information, this is what I put together, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. "First come first serve" is really throwing me off here, if I have to call NRC every morning at 8AM and yell "FIRST" as loud as I can, that's what I'll do.

Pilotman87

Currently an alternate, but am not sure if I am a primary or not. I am assuming not, as my OR would have probably used the word primary... I have come up with a few questions to call my OR tomorrow and ask more specifics on since Friday.

Eaglei22, I was wondering if this sounds correct to you (or anyone else for that matter) - Big Navy didn't want to select a whole bunch of people without hard numbers to fill, so we ended up with a bunch of alternates. It seems that it might be part of the alternate confusion, but at the same time I was wondering if anyone knows about applying to another board (whenever that may be) as an alternate. Can we improve application and resubmit in say, Feb. or Mar if there is a board? Is it worth it, or should we ride the alternate train as long as we can?

24/m
3.76 BA Political Science Univ. of Southern Maine
6/7/7 52
300+ flight hrs Private and Instrument (finishing up commercial in the next 2 weeks)
7 LOR's, former employers, Civil Air Patrol Sq. commander. and my US House Rep
1 Interview, O-6, all 10's
1LT Civil Air Patrol - Safety Officer
Employee Engagement Committee Captain (Volunteer organization at work)

Pilotman87

And to boost two posts up - that is how I see things as well. I am just confused on to how long we might wait in alternate purgatory - a month, 3 months, who knows!? If it is contigent on a federal budget, were probably in it for the long haul. I am just interested in finding out about a possible board schedule for the next FY and if the alternates will have to submit a new app (new LOR's etc), but I'm certain that is also based on the upcoming budget. Anyways, we are getting some good "hurry up and wait" practice!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Currently an alternate, but am not sure if I am a primary or not. I am assuming not, as my OR would have probably used the word primary... I have come up with a few questions to call my OR tomorrow and ask more specifics on since Friday.

Eaglei22, I was wondering if this sounds correct to you (or anyone else for that matter) - Big Navy didn't want to select a whole bunch of people without hard numbers to fill, so we ended up with a bunch of alternates. It seems that it might be part of the alternate confusion, but at the same time I was wondering if anyone knows about applying to another board (whenever that may be) as an alternate. Can we improve application and resubmit in say, Feb. or Mar if there is a board? Is it worth it, or should we ride the alternate train as long as we can?

24/m
3.76 BA Political Science Univ. of Southern Maine
6/7/7 52
300+ flight hrs Private and Instrument (finishing up commercial in the next 2 weeks)
7 LOR's, former employers, Civil Air Patrol Sq. commander. and my US House Rep
1 Interview, O-6, all 10's
1LT Civil Air Patrol - Safety Officer
Employee Engagement Committee Captain (Volunteer organization at work)
What's your name. PM me. I have the list as well as some others on here do too. So I can scour for your name.

I believe they are just preparing. Since the quota was not given for slots they know they have some extra to fill based off other years.. So since they cannot just hold a board in the future for FS 12, they did it the way they did it. This way they can still fill seets in FY12. It just sucks being on the second of the two lists as I am on.. But if you look on the list there were over 200 non selects. So we can consider ourselves somewhat lucky. And yes bettering your package in hopes to apply for the next board would be best.

The good part of all this is my recruiter will finally let me goto meps now so I can start the process and be ahead of the game for next board or just be ready to rock at any moments notice.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
What's your name. PM me. I have the list as well as some others on here do too. So I can scour for your name.

I believe they are just preparing. Since the quota was not given for slots they know they have some extra to fill based off other years.. So since they cannot just hold a board in the future for FS 12, they did it the way they did it. This way they can still fill seets in FY12. It just sucks being on the second of the two lists as I am on.. But if you look on the list there were over 200 non selects. So we can consider ourselves somewhat lucky. And yes bettering your package in hopes to apply for the next board would be best.

The good part of all this is my recruiter will finally let me goto meps now so I can start the process and be ahead of the game for next board or just be ready to rock at any moments notice.

Eagle, I am wondering as well, PM sent

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Reposting this here.

Here this was some info that was passed onto me for alternates:

"Pilot
To provide clarification, please begin processing all applicants that were recommended as a Primary, Primary Alternate or Alternate. Please ensure that the applicants' expectations for shipping are properly set. Primaries will have the priority for FY12 seats and the Primary Alternates will have the first opportunity to make up for any losses through withdrawal or medical evaluation. Alternates will be offered an FY12 seat on a first come first serve basis once all Primary and Primary Alternate candidates are exhausted and if FY12 quotas are available. NRC does not have an approved FY12 goal for the Active Component and the ultimate placement of these PRORECS will be determined by that goal."​

scarfus

FS SNA, March 25th OCS
Selected Primary Alternate.

25/m

2.98 BS Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University 2009
8/9/9 61
LORs from current employer, former employer (director of naval engineering projects at a big defense contractor), baseball coaches, professors etc.
Capt. of NU Club Baseball
Capt. on NU Club Paintball
ASME Member
Flight Phys done
PRK Waiver done
Time to figure out what this actually means. Congrats to all those selected, in whatever capacity. Hopefully I'll see you out there!

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Found this someone posted for the Air Force early this year..

PILOT (92T0)
RATED ACCESSIONS BY YEAR
YEAR USAFA ROTC OTS AD
FY10 524 524 50 40
FY11 500 500 90 45
FY12 505 505 119 45
FY13 520 520 120 50
FY14 560 560 130 50
FY15 560 560 130 50

Is the Navy about the same as this? Also, does anybody know exactly how many boards were held this year for FY12 and how many slots already given out? Looked like about 85 slots (pro recs, not alternates) were given for August's board.

shutout39

pilot
Found this someone posted for the Air Force early this year..

Is the Navy about the same as this? Also, does anybody know exactly how many boards were held this year for FY12 and how many slots already given out? Looked like about 85 slots (pro recs, not alternates) were given for August's board.

Doubt it. 505 is about 40% of the graduating class. I would expect far more people attend the AFA hoping to fly than do the Naval Academy. Again, I am just a civilian and this is just my opinion, but it would make sense that the AFA gives more pilot spots to its grads since the AIR is their specialty...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doubt it. 505 is about 40% of the graduating class. I would expect far more people attend the AFA hoping to fly than do the Naval Academy. Again, I am just a civilian and this is just my opinion, but it would make sense that the AFA gives more pilot spots to its grads since the AIR is their specialty...

That DOES make sense, remember:

NAVY = 3 specialties..... Surface Warface - Submarines - Aviation
AIR FORCE = Aviation
BzB

shutout39

pilot
i-demand-an-explanation-baby-demotivational-poster.jpg

Pilotman87

I not sure if anyone else is still a bit fuzzy on the secondary alternate thing as I am. The thing I'm not sure about is how the FY13 aspect plays into the whole alternate thing. I understand the primary alternates are for FY12, and that makes sense, but are the secondary alternates going to get dates for FY13? How does that work, I thought the boards that would be held this FY were to fill the upcoming year. I guess I am just confused as to how we would get FY13 slots when the boards in the upcoming FY should be filling those slots. Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I not sure if anyone else is still a bit fuzzy on the secondary alternate thing as I am. The thing I'm not sure about is how the FY13 aspect plays into the whole alternate thing. I understand the primary alternates are for FY12, and that makes sense, but are the secondary alternates going to get dates for FY13? How does that work, I thought the boards that would be held this FY were to fill the upcoming year. I guess I am just confused as to how we would get FY13 slots when the boards in the upcoming FY should be filling those slots. Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
Yea me too. I asked milstra if he could clarify.. Over in the august thread.