• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Augmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

pilot
This may be getting ahead of the game, considering I havn't started TBS yet, but I was just curious as to how Marine augmentation works. I know what it is, but I don't really know what's involved in the process. Specifically, I would like to know how the process goes for aviators as compared to ground officers. Do aviators have a better chance of being augmented than many ground officers, due to the money put into their training and the length of their service contracts?

Semper Fi,
Jester

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
Well, just to give you the scoop that i know...I'm sure someone else will elaborate...
Every Marine is commissioned into the USMCR. After TBS, the top 10% will get meritoriously augmented. THe rest will get augmented when they pick up Captain. I'm pretty sure its that simple. As far as air vs ground, it just all depends on how fast you pick up 0-3, so if being a pilot makes you get promoted faster for whatever reason, (I can't see one), then you'll get augmented faster. From what i heard from a Marine Captain that was in API with me, the percentage of 0-2's getting promoted is really really high. Just don't screw up and get a DUI or something...

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Negative.
You do not get augmented automatically until you pick up MAJOR. You have to apply for augmentation just like everyone else. You do not get promoted faster as an aviator. Matter of fact, being an aviator can actually hurt you because you spend so many years in flight school. While your in a bar studying EP's receiving Not Observed FitReps, your grunt compadres are leading platoons of hard chargers. By the time they are 1stLt's, they are XO's of line Companies earning Command FitReps. Quite a few aviators do not get augmented on their first attempt at applying. Needs of the service plus your time in the fleet are taken into consideration. By the way, when you are augmented, you are then obligated to another 2 years of service added to your current contract. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Jester

pilot
Thanks for the info Frumby. I hope my question didn't appear to put down ground officers. My question was legitimately concerned with how the augmention process works and with what factors are considered when being augmented. Two other questions; after how many years of service, or at what rank, does a Marine Officer first apply for augmentation? Do aviators have to wait until they near the completion of their service contract before they can apply?

Semper Fi,
Jester

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Frumby,

sir, getting augmented adds another 2 years to an 8 years contract? wow i didnt know that. why would a strike guy want to do that, unless he's planning on staying in the Corps past 8?

semper fidelis

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Jarhead-That's what I understand but I'll be honest I am not 100% sure. It worked that way with me but I do not for sure that this is gospel for 8 year contracts. You don't have a choice, you HAVE to apply for augmentation. Call your monitor and find out. He's a good kid and is also an F-18 pilot. He'll set you straight and then you can set this old aviator straight.

Jester-No, I took no offense to your statement. It was a solid, good question. I'm just an old fart that comes off a bit terse a times. I promise, you'll know when I'm irritated. 4 years. For aviators, its the first eligible year once you are in the fleet. The way things are going, it's about year 5 to 6 in your career. No, you can apply while under contract.

Kevin-90% of Marine Corps officers are brought in to the Corps via the OCC or PLC program. They have the distinction of being USMCR or active reservists. The other 10% are graduates of "Boat School" (Annapolis) and NROTC(Marine Option)and enter active duty as regular Marines. Augmentation is the process of being selected to enter active duty. For the most part, it's rather transparent for most aviators but for the grunts it is a critical phase in their career. If they are not augmented after their first 4 years, the are transitioned back to civilian life. Of course, they are eligible to stay in the active reserves. Does that help clear the fog?

Semper Fi to all, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

kmc9280

Yes, thanks Frumby. I was naturally curious when I noticed that something was adding 2 years to the contract. I guess I just hadn't heard of it since I am going into OCC on an aviation contract. Thanks again for the clarification.

Kevin

Rainman

pilot
Frumbly, that used to be the case. Now all Marine officers are USMCR until augmentation whether boat schoolers/ NROTC / PLC / OCC / MECEP. . etc.

Also, I thought the last two Captain boards augmented all officers that got promoted (Marine Corps Times)? I think that's what Pat is referring to (with an in zone promote rate of like 90 - 95% ?) That's what they've been reporting anyways.

Also, top 5% of TBS grads automatically are augmented after 12 months of active duty as an officer (I think they called it meritorious augmentation)-- but that's only like 10-12 Marines per company.

SGorski

I think it's time cunninglinguist be banned from this site.....it is of course not my call...but we are seeing shades of "Student Pilot.net here...not to mention....he's posting this crap in the Marine section of the forum which is even worse.
Steve

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Check fire! Check fire! Unload, clear and lock! Thanks Josh, your right I forgot all about the change to Boat schoolers and ROTC. That took place in 96 or 97. I remember the Marine Corps times talking about how Annapolis grads were unwilling to go to the Corps because they had to go to OCS and were not going to be considered active duty. Thanks input!

Liguist-Give it a rest son. It's really not funny. Obviously, your in P'cola and because your on this website, I can only assume you are an officer. Please, act like one.

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.