• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Please include the fact that you were the Honor Grad in your official bio, years from now when you make kernal.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the OP gets it, now. OCS is as much about attitude as flight school. Lets keep it real though. Any prior Marine will not have a problem with OCS if he comes in with the right attitude. He has some reason to be confident about OCS, as long as he has the right attitude. It's not the Spartan agoge.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Back to the original question; being a good SNA (and FNG) is equal parts student, athlete, musician, and rushing a fraternity. So think about what sort of qualities make good students, athletes, musicians, and guys people want around their special club...
-giving a shit
-knowing the material
-practice
-being humble
-practice
-being professional
-practice
-having a sense of humor
-sounding cool on the radio
-work had, have fun

You absolutely have to know the pubs, procedures, and discussion items cold. No one expects you to be the Great Santini in the airplane as an SNA but you do need to do everything you can to know your stuff cold on the ground. For some guys this will take them 15min a night and they can spend the rest of the time partying. For some guys this may take hours a day and on the weekends. Know which guy you are and work from there. Take it seriously; flight school comes first. Fly, hit the gym, get some food, then hit the books. Party once you know your stuff. Don't be a cancer in the clubhouse or the ego-driven lead singer. Be the solid bass guitarist who shows up to practice on time, knows his parts, plays his parts well, and doesn't make a scene.

Don't try and fit your personality into some role. Be yourself but be yourself being a professional who gives a shit. One of the best retirement speeches I ever heard was for a Chief from one of his SCPO brothers. It went something like this, "We all know the stereotypical Chief...." there were a few lines about being salty and forceful..."but AMC wasn't the stereotypical chief. He was himself. He was quiet and nice and never yelled and he made it work." I had done a long, weird det with this AMC and the SCPO words were correct. AMC was not the hollywood chief. But he was a great chief who the sailors loved and he loved the sailors and they got the job done for him. He was a great det chief. As a personal anecdote he knew this det would involve a lot of downtime. so he brought the teak swimming platform from his boat and spent his time when we were flying 7-8hrs/day stripping, sanding, and re-finishing the platform. He was a unique guy who still got the job done. As I write this I can't help but wonder what he's up to...I hope things are going well for him. I could write a whole lot of other stories about the unique folks I met in the Navy. Those are the folks you remember...like my Air Boss and his love of ppt art...or the Handler who was a former USNA football player who would rather talk about comics and gundam models than college football...or the 2P who was taking his Bahrain per diem and using it to buy cattle so he could have his own herd. People make the job, so be yourself.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I like the MADMAN one, especially. The background is what really sells it. I still have a couple of t-shirts that a squadronmate made with the Bravo system test pattern on the back and our Det logo on the front.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
the ones i know who attrited, stopped trying months before they were booted. ive never met an attrite that knew all the knowledges but couldnt get the stick skills. show up prepared and your instructors will do the rest.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
@Pags...“Pack My Box With Five Dozen Liquor Jugs” sounds ridiculously familiar.

That was [is] a memory jogger for what?

It’s been a while...I left AD in 1992.

?