• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition to NPQ...is this possible?

cocg27

I was recently booted from the Navy's flight training program due to flight failures. Unfortunately, I believe most of these were due to some preexisting medical conditions. I did go med-down for them, returned to a few warm-up flights and a check-ride, and still had a minor issue. I was then told to select a new career path. I tried to get the Commodore to NPQ me, seeing as how most of the failures came from a medical issue, but he told me that they had already given me every opportunity to correct that and succeed, which I still did not. He attrited me, but I want to fight this. Any suggestions?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
There is always more to the story. What were the failures for exactly? How were the medically related? My guess is you would have huge uphill battle to overturn an attrite. With this MPTS system, I think students are given plenty of chances to excell (meaning make it through the program). Can't hack it as is, have to go. Not trying to be mean but honest.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Educate me on the benefits of NPQ vice attrition. Is there a better set of orders afterwards if you leave flight school because of medical problems?

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
In my experience, (med-attrite stashed for almost a year with DORs and academic attrites) I haven't noticed any real difference. May just be a personal preference though.

Rumor was a while ago that if you were a DOR or acad. attrite, STUCON would try to force you to put another URL choice on your redes application. (The point being is that SWO is your only realistic URL option after flight school, and if thats anywhere on your app. your bound for shoe world). After talking to some other guys around seems that is no longer the case.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I agree with Bunk. If you had a medical condition that you thought was causing you to fail flights then you should have stopped yourself from flying. (notice the overemphasis of the word you). You just don't go from a warm-up to TRB. Were you bringing up your medical issue during the ORM.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like you tried not to get NPQ. Then once you failed some flights and got attritted now you want to go back and get NPQ.

nugget81

pilot
Sounds like the recurring theme is that what's in the past is in the past, so start worrying about your future instead. Find another community that interests you, maybe there will be a spot open, and you can continue your Naval Officer career. Best of luck!

Jeff29

Science Project
My experience was that there was a difference in how attrites were treated. (This doesn't necessarily mean that they were given preference in their follow-on orders, but there did seem to be a hierarchy in how they were treated on a personal level, and, at times, on how much the command was willing to go to bat for them.) NPQ's were generally treated the best (except the guy who got NPQ'd after going down to NAMI in an attempt to get anthroed out of Prowlers), flight attrites treatment was generally based on their attitude about the situation, and DOR's were definitely treated worse than the others (in some cases, instructors would completely ignore them).

There is one significant difference in being NPQ'd vs. flight attrite. The Regs (for all services) state that you cannot apply for a pilot slot if you have been performance attrited from any military flight program. There may have been exceptions to this, but it would be a lot easier for an NPQ to get back into military aviation (assuming the medical condition can be fixed) than a flight attrite.

While at Meridian, I saw this happen three times. A person was NPQ'd, but rather than giving them follow-on orders, the Command stashed them while trying to help them get over a medical condition, and then helped them get the necessary waiver. In each case, the Stud was stashed for over a year. Two of the three got their waivers and are now winged. Can anyone guess who the third was?