• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

I was wondering, about the wash out rates in pilot training, I DON'T PLAN ON WASHING OUT, but I was just wondering. I was in Air force ROTC, trying to get a pilot slot and it is nearly impossible! However, when I applied Navy it only took me a few months. I'm not complaining. But after dealing with all the politics with the air force it just seemed almost to good to be true. But anyway I'm motivated and I'm getting a chance to realize my dream. FLY NAVY!!!

Stephen J. Hall

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
I haven't actually been to flight school yet but A couple of guys that were ahead of me at OCS told me that the first to wash out are the people that really don't know if they want to be there (i don't understand that) but they don't study and keep up with their grades. The other group to wash out are obviously the people who can't adjust to the steep learning curve of the actual flight part; However, Lt. Gaudron USMC/SNA told me that in his experience all of the staff is really motivated to help you succeed. They will spend the extra time on anything you have trouble with if you in return also apply yourself. Probably not the direct answer you were looking for but hopefully it helps.
Cpl. Miles

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Stephen-
All IP's want you to succeed! Devotion and dedication will definitely take you along way. Unfortunately, there are some fantastic individuals who just do not have the monkey skills to be a pilot. In Kingsville, the current attrition rate is 25%. I've seen it as high as 30%. It does average in the 20%+ percentile. I can only speak for the jet community but I do know that the wash out rate is quite less in other communities. If its your dream, go for it! Do not be afraid of attrition rates or grades. Good luck! Semper Fi!

Frumby
Major USMC(R)

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Stephen

Hey thanks for the advice Major Frumby, and Cpl Miles, it's always good to hear from a couple of "Devil Dogs." Yep, I've been down that route to. Eight years USMCR MCLB Albany GA. However, be from the Corp to AFROTC, once a MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE.

Stephen J. Hall

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sierra Hotel Stephen! Nice to see a couple of hard chargers like you an ol' Cpl Miles going for a dream of a lifetime. I'll give you any advice you need about active duty and flight school (of course I'd do that for anybody) and you teach me about being a weekend warrior. I just started this crap a couple of months ago. Semper Fi!

Frumby
Major USMC(R)

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

unfUSN

I was hoping that you could answer a pretty significant question for me? I've got a NFO slot in the June02 OCS class, but I have a question. I pased my MEPS exam, but I did have to get a waiver because I broke my finger about a year ago and I don't have complete function of it. I can't close my hand into a fist 100%... do you think that this will DQ me from an NFO slot?

A. Thomas Payne

Stephen

Payne,
I'm thinking it might not be a problem. But I really don't know. The only thing I can tell you is don't go down there volunteering info if you know what I mean. "Don't Ask Don't Tell"

Stephen J. Hall

Kraftwerk

quote:
I was hoping that you could answer a pretty significant question for me? I've got a NFO slot in the June02 OCS class, but I have a question. I pased my MEPS exam, but I did have to get a waiver because I broke my finger about a year ago and I don't have complete function of it. I can't close my hand into a fist 100%... do you think that this will DQ me from an NFO slot?

A. Thomas Payne

Thomas-
Have you gone or are you going to ACES? If not, I'd suggest you do that cause that way you can have your flight physical done and get your clearance before you have to go through poopie week. Three guys in my class were NPQ'd during poopie week and they didn't do ACES and that cost them three weeks and a haircut. If you fear it might be a problem, insist on being sent to ACES. They will poke and prod you, and they will find any problems you might have during your flight physical. Not to sound negative, but ACES is a better way of finding it out than poopie week.

Musiqlover

quote:
quote:

A. Thomas Payne

Thomas-
Have you gone or are you going to ACES? If not, I'd suggest you do that cause that way you can have your flight physical done and get your clearance before you have to go through poopie week. Three guys in my class were NPQ'd during poopie week and they didn't do ACES and that cost them three weeks and a haircut. If you fear it might be a problem, insist on being sent to ACES. They will poke and prod you, and they will find any problems you might have during your flight physical. Not to sound negative, but ACES is a better way of finding it out than poopie week.

No offense to you all, but only SNAs go to ACES. I am SURE that it would be much better if SNAs AND SNFOs could go, but to the best of my knowledge, and I have spoken to ALOT of people on here, it is only for SNAs.

Sincerely,

Paul

P.S.- However, it wouldn't hurt to maybe go see your family docter, and get his/her opinion.

PM

vicki

While some ACEs groups are probably composed only of SNAs because there are more SNAs than NFOs, all aviation officer candidates can go to ACEs. I went as an NFO candidate before my designator change, and I know at least three other NFO types that went.

unfUSN

What happens at OCS if you are an SNA/SNFO and you get NPQ'd during poopie week? Can you change to SWO etc. ? or are you dropped completely? and what is poopie week?

ATP

Thomas-

[/quote]

Ed Williams

I went to ACES as an SNFO before i did a designator change to SNA. While I was down there, we had 4 SNA/SNFO's NPQ, they did have the option to redesignate to SWO, or whatever. Hope that helps.
ed

Musiqlover

quote:
I went to ACES as an SNFO before i did a designator change to SNA. While I was down there, we had 4 SNA/SNFO's NPQ, they did have the option to redesignate to SWO, or whatever. Hope that helps.

Oh, I am sorry. I heard from someone that is it just for SNAs, but OK, now I know it is for all aviation candidates.
ed

PM

Kraftwerk

Yes all Aviation Candidates can go to ACES.
NPQ's are different. If you're totally NPQ for the Navy, you go home. This happened to one guy I came in with. If you're only NPQ for aviation duties, depending upon the backlog of other designator schools, you can choose to redesignate or go home. This happened to shipmate of mine and he did not get a designator until three days before graduation. Should this happen to you, your class team will help you to get a new designator or to win the old one back in a reexam at NOMI... (actually happened to a SNA).

unfUSN

Yes all Aviation Candidates can go to ACES.
NPQ's are different. If you're totally NPQ for the Navy, you go home. This happened to one guy I came in with.

How could he have passed the MEPS exam and then get NPQ'd from everything later?

ATP

Status
Not open for further replies.