• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition rate for boat qualifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAMOM

My son is scheduled to bounce on the boat this week. Can anyone tell me what the attrition rate is. How many end up not getting wings? I have everyone I know praying for him. I would hate to think that all of this hard work would be for nothing if he can't land on the boat. He finished first in his class in primary, but I don't think that means much when it comes to landing on the boat. Please someone tell me not to worry!

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Don't worry.

Sorry I can't offer more, but I have a worrying mother as well (don't we all?), so don't worry. If he aced his primary class, I'm sure he works hard and he's well prepared and qualified to land on the boat.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I have seen boats where 100% of the pilots qualify and ones where only 60-70% qualify. There are just too many variables. Heck, we had boat dets at the Prowler RAG where only 50% qualified.

Those who disqual the first time usually make it on the second attempt.

SNAMOM

Thanks guys!

I think you made me feel a little better. I don't like the 50 or 60% rates though. His grandma is going to burn down the church lighting candles for him! Thanks again.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
SNAMOM said:
I think you made me feel a little better. I don't like the 50 or 60% rates though. His grandma is going to burn down the church lighting candles for him! Thanks again.

Those are numbers from the EA-6B RAG. Our jet is a lot harder to qualify in and we also qualify our pilots at night (they don't do night traps in the training command). Also, due to timing, we sometimes have to send the students to the boat with the minimum of hours (50 hours in type). Like I said, disqualling is not a huge stigma in the fleet. Just get back on the horse and do it the next time round.

RumorBuster

Old Warrior
SNAMOM said:
Mom,
I deal with this every month and I am sure he will do well. Does not matter if he is at Kville or Meridian, both sites have a quality training program and we strive for 100% qual rate. Even if he should trip on the inital attempt, disqual rate on the second time is very low. Keep the faith......you make me smile for I have been flying over 20 years and my mom-in-law still worries about me....

SNAMOM

I guess I'll always worry...

Even though I have great faith and confidence in my son (he tells me he's a "****-hot pilot") I know I will always worry about him. I guess it's just a mom thing. It's going to be a long 8 years or more of worry! I told him that he can continue training for the next 8 years. Better than worrying about him seeing action anywhere I guess! Thanks for not making me feel dumb!

Fred

My mother in law has spent a good portion of her life worrying about her son, my husband for the past 19 years. It's very normal. :)

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
If you are the low life that gave me negative points for my posting to a worried mother to "not worry, her son will be fine," I have three requests for you:

1. GIVE ME SOME MORE
2. Have the courage to put your name on your negative rep. points
3. Get bent.

Are you f'in kidding me?!? I advise a mother that her hard-working son will likely be fine, and I get "you're not in jets, stay in your realm of knowledge." WTF?!? Why don't you enlighten us then, almighty Jet Stud? And sorry for attempting to soothe the nerves of a worrying mother. I guess only people "in jets" have the right to do that. Moron.

Clux4

Banned
Rep. point on this forum has being abused. Too many kiddies make the damn thing usless. At least grow bigger balls, be a man, put your name.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
SNAMOM said:
My son is scheduled to bounce on the boat this week. Can anyone tell me what the attrition rate is. How many end up not getting wings? I have everyone I know praying for him. I would hate to think that all of this hard work would be for nothing if he can't land on the boat. He finished first in his class in primary, but I don't think that means much when it comes to landing on the boat. Please someone tell me not to worry![/QUOTE]

What an awesome mom, worrying about her son on the net. My mother, even after 12 years in the Navy still does the same thing. Have faith and confidence in your son and his training. My bet is he does just fine at the boat. If he has issues, the second time around usually makes'em better. Back in my day, we had about 40 pilots go to the boat with only 3 not making it due to the boat. The odds are in his favor if he's made it this far.

Status
Not open for further replies.