• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB and the Marine Corps

Khalifah

As sara said...Study and the ASTB is no big deal. Go into it blind and you're reaping what you sow because you simply will not do as well. There is simply too much good study material out there free. Not taking advantage of it is just laziness.

quoted for truth, i fell into this hole the first time taking the test.(there was no excuse, i had a whole week and a cliffs studyguide). Wont make that mistake in January.

(first post, liking the site, hoping to learn a lot! :) )

Acart

Just a some what random question, if you don't want to do aviation in the marines does the ASTB even matter? I noticed about that OAR doesn't matter apparently

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Just a some what random question, if you don't want to do aviation in the Marines does the ASTB even matter? I noticed about that OAR doesn't matter apparently
Fixed it for you...

If you don't want to do aviation you won't take the Aviation Selection Test Battery...

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
I know this post is old, but thanks for clearing this up. Hope this hasn't changed in the last few years. I shouldn't have any trouble with the ASTB but it's nice to know it's either pass or fail.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the new ASTB out, will it still be pass/fail? Is the score needed still the same?
We haven't seen or heard of any changes to the scoring or MINS via MCO or Navy Instruction, so I'd say, for now, that the mins are still the mins.

Facepalm

SNA hopeful
Just want to put in my $.02 real quick about pass or fail. From what I've seen and heard over the past year that I've been preparing to apply for OCS the ASTB is not pass or fail other than meeting the minimum to apply. The board will see your ASTB score and believe me it will be compared against other applicants. I guess the reasoning behind this is that statistically speaking students with 6's are much more likely to fail out of flight school than ones with 7's or 8's. It's a simple cost analysts, why invest the same money for a smaller chance of success when there are several applicants with 7+'s out there. At least this was the explanation that I got from my OSO (He was also on that board) when I was a non-select back in December. Long story short, study your ass off!

Ryan Hanna

pilot
Just want to put in my $.02 real quick about pass or fail. From what I've seen and heard over the past year that I've been preparing to apply for OCS the ASTB is not pass or fail other than meeting the minimum to apply. The board will see your ASTB score and believe me it will be compared against other applicants. I guess the reasoning behind this is that statistically speaking students with 6's are much more likely to fail out of flight school than ones with 7's or 8's. It's a simple cost analysts, why invest the same money for a smaller chance of success when there are several applicants with 7+'s out there. At least this was the explanation that I got from my OSO (He was also on that board) when I was a non-select back in December. Long story short, study your ass off!
I agree with with a lot of what you're saying; however, I asked my OSO before I contracted about this and he said that the ASTB is looked at more as a pass/fail qualification. It is not a major selection factor that the board is going to look at. They way he put it, the board is mainly looking at your leadership experience/potential, PFT (and history of physical activity), your GPA, and everything else. Could the ASTB be looked at? Yes, but it is not going to play a significant role, especially if the rest of your package is good. Honestly, I don't really think it matters. Just try to get the best score that you can get and work hard on the rest of your package.

Also, its just my opinion, but I would just throw out there that a lot of what they want to see isn't the quantitative stuff (PFT, GPA, etc). The board wants to select people that they feel have the potential to be a successful leader of Marines. With how competitive it has been it is easy to get caught up in the numbers, but the other stuff matters as well. Hope this helps someone out there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with with a lot of what you're saying; however, I asked my OSO before I contracted about this and he said that the ASTB is looked at more as a pass/fail qualification. It is not a major selection factor that the board is going to look at. They way he put it, the board is mainly looking at your leadership experience/potential, PFT (and history of physical activity), your GPA, and everything else. Could the ASTB be looked at? Yes, but it is not going to play a significant role, especially if the rest of your package is good. Honestly, I don't really think it matters. Just try to get the best score that you can get and work hard on the rest of your package.

Also, its just my opinion, but I would just throw out there that a lot of what they want to see isn't the quantitative stuff (PFT, GPA, etc). The board wants to select people that they feel have the potential to be a successful leader of Marines. With how competitive it has been it is easy to get caught up in the numbers, but the other stuff matters as well. Hope this helps someone out there.

Yes, your OSO is probably correct if he was only responding to the question about ASTB for the PLC program from a PLC candidate.

I disagree with your opinion; remember what they say about opinions...How the hell is the board supposed to determine potential? GPA? Yes. PFT? Yes. etc? YES!

BTW, rocks have potential. The Navy & Marine Corps determines potention based on past performance. You think a guy is going to get an OCS slot with 2.0 GPA and a 200 PFT? No F'ing way.

Ryan Hanna

pilot
Yes, your OSO is probably correct if he was only responding to the question about ASTB for the PLC program from a PLC candidate.

I disagree with your opinion; remember what they say about opinions...How the hell is the board supposed to determine potential? GPA? Yes. PFT? Yes. etc? YES!

BTW, rocks have potential. The Navy & Marine Corps determines potention based on past performance. You think a guy is going to get an OCS slot with 2.0 GPA and a 200 PFT? No F'ing way.
Yes Sir, you are certainly correct and my opinion could very well be wrong. I would like to clarify what I meant and clearly using potential was wrong. I agree 100% with you that potential doesn't really mean anything and that they look at past performance. I meant to say that having a track record that shows you have the initiative to take action and be in a position of leadership is something that you should strive to show your OSO and concurrently show the board. But like you said sir, no one with a sub par PFT and GPA is going to get a spot regardless of his/her other qualifications.

How big of an impact do you guys think Flight Experience will have on my Application?
I'm currently pursuing a degree in Aerospace with a 'concentration' in Pro Pilot. I will graduate with Private, Instrument, Commercial, and Multi-Engine Ratings. Depending on whether or not the new 1500 rule is implemented at my University, I should have plenty of good logged flight hours to put in my application. I spoke with my OSO about this and he mentioned it would be listed among my 'Activities'.
My apologies if this question shouldn't have been posted on this thread.
Thanks in Advance!

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
How big of an impact do you guys think Flight Experience will have on my Application?
I'm currently pursuing a degree in Aerospace with a 'concentration' in Pro Pilot. I will graduate with Private, Instrument, Commercial, and Multi-Engine Ratings. Depending on whether or not the new 1500 rule is implemented at my University, I should have plenty of good logged flight hours to put in my application. I spoke with my OSO about this and he mentioned it would be listed among my 'Activities'.
My apologies if this question shouldn't have been posted on this thread.
Thanks in Advance!
Doesn't matter. You still have to pass the ASTB so in the end you could be a Capt for United and if you fail that bad boy no air contract.