• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATSB and the Marine Corps

gtown99

Do any of you know if the ASTB is pass/fail for marines? In some posts, people are bummed at their score, while others are talk about just failing by one point. I am talking about taking the astb for an air (pilot) contract. One recruit I talked to said he failed by one point which made it sound like pass/fail. Seems even if you passed, you might take it again to do better if scores were important - and you wanted to be competitive - and not just satisfied to pass. Sorry this email is so horribly written. This is after editing it. My brain = fried from studying all day.
Thanks guys for any help.

Whalebite

The ASTB was rescently changed. When I took it sometime last year, it was not pass fail, and scores would be used for selection. The scores are more compedetive for Marines than Navy. Its something like 5/5/4 If you look it up im sure you can find what your looking for.

Ajax

2nd Inc. India Co. 2nd PLT. 2005
4/6/6 is the passing score for Marines, and as far as I have been informed; it is pass or fail.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
The Marine Corps OSO told me that minimum scores for pilot are 4/6/6. He said that they do tend to look at it as more of a "pass or fail" item. The Navy OSO I took the test with today, however, said that for the Navy, you better have something closer to 8/9/9.

Cheers,
-Paul

score

Ok this is what it is.. you need a 4 6 4 to pass with the Marine Corps. But you can receive a 4 5 4 and get a 1 pt waiver. It is not considered a selection factor according to my OSO a C 130 pilot. PFT is considered the most important factor.

Navy, I have a buddy applying for pilot selection and he has 6/7/8 and was told that isn't good enough. Hes getting his private pilot license and studying more because that IS a selection factor for the navy.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Actually, 1 point waivers are being cut out. I had to retake and ended with a 4/6/6 after having 4/5/5.

Some guys were at TBS and lost air contracts b/c 1 pt. waivers were not honored from what I have heard.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, they might still be being issued but many OSO's bosses (i.e. the COL. won't let them through). My OSO told me I had to retest. I think getting selected with an ASTB waiver is a tough thing to do right now. Getting 4/6/6 isn't hard, just study.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
seriously... the ASTB is essentially moron-proof. If you fail it over and over, well, somebody needs to manage the McDonald's of the world.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
as far as the Marines care, it is pass fail (to my knowledge) your score is good enough, or it isnt, having a perfect score isnt going to get you any where better than someone with a minimal score to pass

Nebulae

Nebulae
What does each score mean?

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what each score meant? I believe one applies to math skills/pilot/naviagation maybe? This is just for curiosity sake. Thank you

gringo

Hey i took the test about a week ago. I'm pretty sure i got a 4/6/5 not positive but the OSO congratulated me and said i was good to go. Hesaid the last score is only for Nav's. He didn't say anythign about a waiver, but if you have an air contract how can they take it from you at a later date once it gets approved? My OSO is a harrier pilot so i presume he would know about this stuff.

Crowbar

None
gringo said:
but if you have an air contract how can they take it from you at a later date once it gets approved?

It's a "contract", that's how. They hold up their end, and you in turn, have to do the same. Did you read everything before you signed all of it?
Things to disqualify you include not passing your physical, not successfully completing OCS or TBS, or having bad performance in any phase of flight training.

gringo

Crowbar said:
It's a "contract", that's how. They hold up their end, and you in turn, have to do the same. Did you read everything before you signed all of it?
Things to disqualify you include not passing your physical, not successfully completing OCS or TBS, or having bad performance in any phase of flight training.

I was refering to what one guy said about the 1 pt waivers. How can they give you the waiver on your contract, and then take it away?