• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATP Checkride

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Im probably in the same boat a lot of you are in, needing to take my ATP Checkride before the end of July. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as military friendly places to get this done?

ChuckM

pilot
Have any experience in a light twin? If not, I would just shell out the money at your local ATP and use their DPE. They teach a system and it works.

If you have some time already in a duchess or Seminole, then all you really need to do is make an appointment with a DPE, maybe do a warm up flight and study for the oral. You won't need an endorsement from a CFI for ATP if my memory serves me.

If you end up renting a Seminole, I have a pretty good study packet for 6000 series PA-44. The real hurdle, I think, is learning the Garmin 430/530 well enough to apply all your Navy procedures to it. WRNB, TINT(S), and the 6Ts will keep you in good shape once you learn the features of the GPS.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Try calling Gordo in Jasper, AL.. Last I heard he is military friendly. I know he was about 14 years ago but I have heard he still is as recent as a year or 2 ago. Former Guard guy and Fedex Captain, Gordo is a great American. Don't know how to get ahold of him these days but try Sanders Aviation (Gordon Sanders).

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Try calling Gordo in Jasper, AL.. Last I heard he is military friendly. I know he was about 14 years ago but I have heard he still is as recent as a year or 2 ago. Former Guard guy and Fedex Captain, Gordo is a great American. Don't know how to get ahold of him these days but try Sanders Aviation (Gordon Sanders).
They say they're booked all the way through August

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Call Bob Owsley. www.myfaaexam.com
He is a retired SWA captain with his own Baron B55. One prep ride and the check cost around $2500. Very military friendly, fair, and big picture. Super chill guy.

You will fly the prep and check out of KAFW. A lot of the guys up at Vance use him. Couldn't have asked for a better experience...

HUDcripple

pilot
Not the usual part of the country for Naval Aviators, but I had a good experience in Michigan with www.traverseair.com The owner is the instructor, and he always uses the same DPE. Flown in a PA-23 Apache, $2995 includes 4 prep flights and the plane for the checkride. Another $500 cash to the DPE. Checkride was like the practice, gouge + common sense covered the ground portion.

Be prepared to wait out weather this time of year, or wait until April or later.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Not the usual part of the country for Naval Aviators, but I had a good experience in Michigan with www.traverseair.com The owner is the instructor, and he always uses the same DPE. Flown in a PA-23 Apache, $2995 includes 4 prep flights and the plane for the checkride. Another $500 cash to the DPE. Checkride was like the practice, gouge + common sense covered the ground portion.

Be prepared to wait out weather this time of year, or wait until April or later.

Do you know if GI Bill benefits work there? I'm interested in doing the ATP for necessity and the seaplane course for the hell of it.

HUDcripple

pilot
Do you know if GI Bill benefits work there? I'm interested in doing the ATP for necessity and the seaplane course for the hell of it.

It's a small outfit (one instructor) so I don't think so, but I'm not smart on the GI Bill rules. I agree that the sea plane rating looks like fun, but for that you'd definitely need to wait for warmer weather - Tom takes the floats off for the winter. Time permitting I may go back up for that this summer.

Toonces

Where's the pilot lounge?
pilot
If you're in New England, East Coast Aero Club out of Bedford. DPE is on staff, former military, and their primary ATP instructor knows the drill. I spent $2800 for 5 hours of prep, 2 hours of checkride, and the examiner fee.