• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Atlanta Terminal Area

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm planning on flying to Fulton County Airport in Atlanta (due to its close proximity to downtown). It's my first flight into a large, busy, Class B area. I'll be VFR. Does anyone have any advice, or any specific gouge on Atlanta? Anything to watch out for other than the royal shit-ton of traffic? Thanks all.

P.S. Where are the good eats and bars?

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Be good at radio comms.
Watch the VFR corridors.
Watch the wake turbulence from those biz jets out there!

Happy Flying

efini_kid

if your gunna be in downtown atlanta and dont mind really greasy food.

you have to hit up the Varsity, they have the best onion rings in the south.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I recommend just staying out of the class B. It's pretty easy to do unless you're flying something that needs to stay high. Since you're coming from PCola VFR I'd pick up I-20 somewhere near the GA-AL border and just handrail it in the 45 miles to FTY. That'll definitely keep you out of the Class B.

And if it's amenities you're looking for, don't go to FTY, go to PDK. It's a MUCH better airport and it's way closer to the good stuff in Atl.

FTY is in the ghetto. PDK is near Buckhead (aka all the bar and eats).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
F/W or R/W? You can get in and out of Charlie Brown Fulton County from the west (r/w low) without really having to deal with the class B unless there is a learning objective to meet. don't bother ATL tower, dont fuck with the surface area at all.
Have fun, it isnt that bad.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah most dudes in primary who did their ccx's to Atlanta went to charlie brown......unless you really need something at Hartsfield, I don't know why you would want to subject yourself to the delays and extra headache. Granted class B is not THAT bad, but it is still a PIA if you aren't familiar with the area and any VFR arrivals in use

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
VFR, C-172. A buddy and I are going to meet up with some friends and check out the town for a weekend. I figure he'll also be a good extra set of eyes with all of the traffic. If the weather isn't good we're going to shitcan it early and drive up---I'm not instrument rated.

I'll look into PDK, thanks!

MIDNJAC --- for VFR arrival procedures you're just referring to KATL, right? My plan was to just stay under the Class B, hit a VFR reporting point and call the tower, no fancy stuff (hopefully).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
MIDNJAC --- for VFR arrival procedures you're just referring to KATL, right? My plan was to just stay under the Class B, hit a VFR reporting point and call the tower, no fancy stuff (hopefully).

Yes, many extremely high traffic volume airports publish specific VFR arrival procedures. You can do it not knowing them, but don't count on much assistance from ATC aside from a vector and a long wait if you can't comply. As a newbie civvie pilot I had a similar surprise entering SEATAC's airspace, trying to get into BFI and not knowing the Vashon 1 arrival.....lesson definitely learned after a couple terse responses from the controller and heading off towards the San Juans and beyond :eek: If you go, be concise with your radio work and don't give them any extra info that they don't need....that will make your experience go more smoothly. It seems like a lot of pilots build Class B up to be something it isn't, but that said, it still can get very busy and confusing if you don't know what to expect and lose SA. Happy flying!

Another consideration is being extremely vigilant with your traffic scan. On a recent trip in an orange and white airplane through Houston's airspace, we had 3 different relatively close calls (had we not been keeping our scan up at least) with no prior heads-up from ATC. In that busy sort of an environment, they really can't provide that nice traffic advisory service that we tend to depend on so much (bad habit as it is).

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Going into FTY there really isnt that much traffic to worry about. I flew out of there and MGE several times. Don't sweat it. What I'm worried about for you is that you're flying into one of the shittiest parts of ATL. PDK is a wonderful airport and its close to the part of town that you want to be in. The good time in Atlanta isnt downtown.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The hardest part about getting into class B is getting the fucking radio call in with the million other fucktards trying to call. Once they've got you, then you just gotta stay clear until they clear you in, and then quickly/smartly adhere to their heading and altitude clearances and know where the fuck you're going. But as long as you know what you're doing, it's not too bad.

Being a helo is even better. "Navy 7E123, stay the fuck clear of all runways, land pilot's discretion at your own risk at signature"

Roger that!

:D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Trying to get a word in edgewise is definitely the big challenge in that airspace. Especially when some jackhole clobbers comms because he isn't sure what to say or is trying to sound cool. *NB studs - don't be that guy on the radio.

VT-10 was pushing guys to shoot approaches to one big busy metro airport, especially in T-39s for the "big boy jet rules". ATL was one, Orlando is another. One thing you can count on is that it'll be nothing like what you file for or request. They're just going to slalom you around the other traffic.

If you don't need to go into B airspace...don't. Your nerves will thank you.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, go to PDK....much better part of town. Nothing good happens in downtown ATL after dark. Plenty of good bars, but they're kind of scattered around. I was never a big Buckhead fan, not my style. I like to drink, and cheaply, if able. Used to hit up the Highlands in college and flight school. Also would hit up bars in the Ponce/Little Five Points area and these days some places in East ATL.

pilot06

Agree with PDK. Also might want to check out McCollum (RYY) less busy than PDK. Nice airport, new restaurant on the field called Elevation Chophouse has great food and a nice bar. Good luck.

MettGT

pilot
Like Mike said, I'd avoid Charlie Brown if possible because it's not the best part of town to be in (area around what was formerly known as Bankhead Hwy). PDK has the easiest access to Buckhead and is just as close to the good parts of downtown/Midtown/the Highlands, if not closer. McCollum is nice, but it'd be a little bit of a drive into Atlanta.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Fly wherever you are legally allowed to and want! FILE a VFR flight plan and GET FLIGHT FOLLOWING. This prevents you from having to hold outside the airspace while trying to get a guy who sounds like an ATC auctioneer to hear you. Make sure you are using VOR's and blatently obvious things on the ground to find your way. If the guys on here were advising you on riding a bike, you would never have gotten off training wheels...sheesh!