• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATC gets no ZZZ

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't remember seeing this before, thought it was interesting. I have no horse in this race, nor do I know how true this is.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/OPINION01/610110389/-1/ZONES03

There used to be limits on the amount of time each person could be on position with mandatory break periods. Now, these work times can be more than two hours, and break time has been shortened. Recovery time away from the control room is needed during shifts. The new rules say that if the person on break is caught resting with eyes closed, he or she will be suspended up to 10 days for the first offense, with dismissal for the third. This seems counter-productive. What better way to combat eyestrain and headache?

nugget81

pilot
huh, seems to be contrary to the sleep physiology i've had crammed into my head. i always heard the micro-nap was a great way to bounce back from fatigue.

That's what I'd heard as well, and NASA backs it up with a sleep study (done on pilots using in-flight naps, but gets the point across regardless). The study used the following sleep period:
–3 min preparation
–40 minutes sleep
–20 minutes recovery

The results showed:
-Decreased symptoms of fatigue
-Decreased episodes of microsleep (otherwise known as a "head stall")
-Improved performance on vigilance tasks was improved
-Performance was more consistent over the course of the study

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is all well and good in the short term but after a few days even micronaps start to not help decrease fatigue nad you need a no kidding 8 hours or so.