• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

At What Point in the Training Pipeline Is an Aviator Winged?

I understand that the 8 year minimum service commitment (MSC) clock for a naval aviator begins as one is winged.

However, at what point in the training pipelines does one receive their wings?

According to the information in the link below, there are 2 weeks of Introductory Flight Screening (IFS), followed by 6 weeks of
Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API), and 24 weeks of Primary Flight Training. Then, assuming that one is selected for jets, it is approximately another 27 weeks after primary for intermediate training, and then finally, another 23 weeks for advanced/

At what point in this approximately 82 weeks of training does one receive their wings and the 8 years MSC begins to kick in, please?

Thanks.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I don't think I've heard of any pilots even close to 82 weeks. A year and a half would be warp speed unless things changed from less than a year ago when I finished after 3 years to the day from commissioning. 2-3 is normal and 4 isn't unheard of depending on a ton of variables and dumb luck.

I saw one winged Ensign out of the HTs and none around the multi VTs. It's de facto impossible for jets from what I've heard.

If you're really worried about getting in and out ASAP (or just curious maybe) assume 11 ish years if the MSC is 8.

The variance in time from the fastest to slowest (platform dependant) is pretty inconsequential in the span of at least 10 years.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I understand that the 8 year minimum service commitment (MSC) clock for a naval aviator begins as one is winged.

However, at what point in the training pipelines does one receive their wings?

According to the information in the link below, there are 2 weeks of Introductory Flight Screening (IFS), followed by 6 weeks of
Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API), and 24 weeks of Primary Flight Training. Then, assuming that one is selected for jets, it is approximately another 27 weeks after primary for intermediate training, and then finally, another 23 weeks for advanced/

At what point in this approximately 82 weeks of training does one receive their wings and the 8 years MSC begins to kick in, please?

Thanks.

When you’re done with training you are winged. That is when your commitment clock starts. The times you posted are “best case” and don’t include waiting between phases of training or other contingencies. By done with training I mean done with advanced, received wings, next stop FRS to learn your fleet aircraft.

My info is dated obviously but I got to Pensacola to wait for API in July 2007 and winged in March 2010, and I wasn’t ever sick/injured or otherwise unavailable.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Some pipelines are quicker than others. I winged at 1 year, 9 months from commission. 2 years from when I showed up to OCS.

Maritime seems to be the fastest pipeline, then helos. Jets by far the longest time to train.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My info is dated obviously but I got to Pensacola to wait for API in July 2007 and winged in March 2010, and I wasn’t ever sick/injured or otherwise unavailable.

Yeah, winged in April '10 and had a similar experience. Sounds like maybe it is taking an extra year now, which is crazy......what do they do with their time?

Meyerkord

pilot
Winged a little over a year ago. 120 weeks from commissioning to wings (helos). As others have said, ymmv greatly.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Dang, seems like it’s taking much longer these days? From commissioning to wings was about 135 weeks for me but I did a detour through grad school for 12 months prior to flight school.

Birdbrain

pilot
From commissioning to wings in jets for me was 3 years, 4 months and 14 days. Lotta factors at play there and none of them in my control. Take that as you will, OP.

Ozarky

pilot
Platform matters a lot. Me and one buddy were the only ones from our OCS class who winged as ensigns (by 3 days) at the end of 2020. That’s Multiengine, FWIW.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Commissioned 5/13/12. Winged 12/13/13. 82 weeks and 5 days.

Many Seawolves showed up to fly in Vietnam as ensigns, and that was when all aviators completed CQ before going to advanced. They were fire team leaders as LTJGs. Now we need 6 O4s to get the punch right for the DV reception at a change of command.